Week 17 football thoughts

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
First of all, the announcers were making fun of the dolphins for acting like they won the Superbowl but you have to think this was their Super Bowl. The Patriots have tormented them for years and not only did they get a win in Foxboro but they cost the Patriots a bye in the playoffs.

Fantastic way to end the year for Miami.

MongerKhan

Staff member
Fitting way for Tampa Bays season to end.

Winston first NFL QB to go 30+ TD and 30 ints.

Also sets record for pick 6s with 7 on the year

Also the 5th? ever to pass for 5k+ yards in a season.

Brett Farve used to be what you found in the dictionary when you look up the word Gunslinger.

Not anymore

Last edited:

MongerKhan

Staff member
The Jets won 5 of their last 8 to finish 7-9.

I still fondly remember when the Cowboys were the only win the Jets had.

I was shocked when I saw 7-9

MongerKhan

Staff member
Props to the Bengals for locking up Burrow and still proving Baker Mayfield is a god awful NFL QB.

The Browns should be a 10 win team with that talent.

cctekguy

Staff member
Cowboys Suck...

Patriots will lose to Ten in the first round. :D

Green Bay struggled to beat Detroit...Yet THEY are the #1 seed?

SF, Sea, NO only real teams worthy of the Super Bowl.

KC defense will fail them.

Buffalo offense will fail them

Titans and Texans go deeper than expected.

Ravens sweep the field and play in SB.

cctekguy

Staff member
Brees will fold up like a scared turtle if he has to play out in the cold.

I have my doubts about the whole "cold weather" advantage theory.

I'll concede an advantage in some non-physical ways like how to throw a cold ball but to suggest that sub zero temperatures will affect Packers players less than it will affect Saints players is nonsense to me.

Cold is cold no matter WHO you are and its miserable. I'd like to see a poll of the Packers players as to where THEY would rather play. 0 degrees and 20 mph winds or the Mercedes Benz bowl.

Plus, you make it sound like every Packers player grew up in the arctic north. There are plenty of players that hail from Florida, Texas and California. Do they give them a special "Cold Vaccination" when they sign on?

The only advantage is Home Field advantage and even that will take a hit as many fans elect to stay home and watch it on TV.

Last edited:

Remote Controller

I'll concede an advantage in some non-physical ways like how to throw a cold ball but to suggest that sub zero temperatures will affect Packers players less than it will affect Saints players is nonsense to me.

Cold is cold no matter WHO you are and its miserable. I'd like to see a poll of the Packers players as to where THEY would rather play. 0 degrees and 20 mph winds or the Mercedes Benz bowl.

Plus, you make it sound like every Packers player grew up in the arctic north. There are plenty of players that hail from Florida, Texas and California. Do they give them a special "Cold Vaccination) when they sign on?

The only advantage is Home Field advantage and even that will take a hit as many fans elect to stay home and watch it on TV.
Brees outdoors late in the season is trouble for him.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
That race car driver has stolen his mind and a bit of his talent. BTW they just bought a nearly $30M mansion in California together. I guess he's not such a fan of cold weather after all.

Remote Controller

I agree. Especially with his age and lack of conditioning that other players get.

So what was Rogers excuse for the entire season....Climate Change?
silly question from an otherwise smart man.........new coach and system which saved Rodgers health. He is very healthy entering the playoffs, instead of him limping in. The other type of play, where he has to carry the team on his own, was managed. He still won games when needed and can still make the difference in games now. The Saints have the much better personnel overall, and have for the past 5 years.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!

Plus, you make it sound like every Packers player grew up in the arctic north. There are plenty of players that hail from Florida, Texas and California. Do they give them a special "Cold Vaccination" when they sign on?

You grossly underestimate the mental aspects of this!

And you underestimate the physical aspects as well. It takes the human body about 2 weeks to adjust its metabolism etc for the environment. I know this to be a fact as I have lived through it. Couple years ago I was in Liberia for 2 months and when I got there the constant heat and high humidity made me sweat profusely all the time. After about my second week there I stopped sweating and felt comfortable and that was coming from hot and humid Atlanta. When I came back home after 2 months I was shocked at how cold it was (it was May) and my wife kept telling me there was something wrong with me cause it was hotter than usual. Point is my body adjusted to where I was at and when I abruptly changed my environment I was more uncomfortable compared to those that had been there.

Go back and look at the late season games the Pats played over the course of their dynasty. You will see they have often struggled in games played in Florida late in the season. I'm sure its caused somewhat by the change from cold arid New England to warm, humid Florida. It causes problems that have to be dealt with and affects some more than others but it is a real thing.