Trading Jordy Nelson in a dynasty

ExperiencedRookie

Background. Salary cap dynasty. I'm 3-0 and have been the high scorer of the week all 3 weeks so far. Why fix it if it ain't broken?? Right??

My WRs are Antonio Brown, Jordy Nelson, Pierre Garçon, Kelvin Benjamin, Golden Tate, Markus Wheaton. Have to start 3 WRs every week.

Jordy Nelson is in the last year of his contract. If I'm going to retain him next year, his contract will jump up significantly. I could afford it, but it would be tough to sign him long term at a new high price. I would be making him a tier 1 FA, so offers would come in, and I'd either need to match the high dollars or take a 1st round draft pick for him.

Anyways...I could totally trade him right now and probably get 2 first rd draft picks from a truly awful team...maybe even 3 future 1st rd picks.

Do you pursue this knowing that it hurts chances at a title this year but gets substantially more value for Jordy than I'll get after I'm done using him?? Thoughts from anyone experienced with dynasty play is much appreciated

gizzil

Your receivers are AWESOME both now and in the future. I would possibly wait a few weeks both to get more production and to watch his value rise even if you are trading him. As long as you don't see him in the playoffs anyway. That said, Green Bay should be fighting to get in late in the year So barring injury you can almost count on big production from Nelson late. If you do trade him make sure it's to somebody you won't run into or can beat anyway. I would also try to get a RB with a nice future but can imagine those are harder to come by than draft picks...

ExperiencedRookie

Your receivers are AWESOME both now and in the future. I would possibly wait a few weeks both to get more production and to watch his value rise even if you are trading him. As long as you don't see him in the playoffs anyway. That said, Green Bay should be fighting to get in late in the year So barring injury you can almost count on big production from Nelson late. If you do trade him make sure it's to somebody you won't run into or can beat anyway. I would also try to get a RB with a nice future but can imagine those are harder to come by than draft picks...
The guy that I'm trying to trade with has been recently documented. You can see his team here http://www.sportsoutlaw.com/forum/threads/the-worst-team-ever-and-my-nightmare.43318/

He is in desperate need of a WR with Keenan Allen playing awful and Tavon Austin hurt. I'm going to try to trade him Golden Tate(1 yr contract) or Markus Wheaton (2 yr contract) before I move into Jordy territory. He currently sits at 0-3, and outside of his miracle game against me last week when he put up 128, he's scored in the 60s or 70s. He's not a playoff team, in fact he's got a better shot at having the #1 overall pick for this year (and years to come). That being said, having Jordy probably gets him at least an extra win or 2.

As far as getting a RB from him, Bell is the only true stud he has and he's already stated that he's off limits. Don't blame him.

cctekguy

Staff member
I don't see any reason to wait. His value is plenty high right now and waiting only increases the chance he'll get injured before you trade him. (and he WILL get injured).

Make your best deal and get it done.

ExperiencedRookie

I don't see any reason to wait. His value is plenty high right now and waiting only increases the chance he'll get injured before you trade him. (and he WILL get injured).

Make your best deal and get it done.
It's just really hard to pull the trigger on a dude that is a centerpiece of my squad blasting off on people right now.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
J.Nelson is the #1 Wr in that offense. Just got resigned to a relative big deal, so is going no where. On the other hand Cobb has NOT been extended, take that for what it is worth.

As for the deal, you are stacked at Wr. Trading Jordy isn't a bad idea, but get the best value you can. High first rounder is a must. Maybe two, but don't whine about this owner making bad deals again then.