Three team trade Eagles, Lions and Denver

Mort via Schefter: Three way trade -- Eagles get LB Ernie Sims, Lions get TE Tony Scheffler, Broncos undisclosed draft pick.

Posted on ESPN twitter thing.

I know Schefter was looking at getting moved but why is this good for Detroit? I know there has been dissatisfaction with Ernie but is this a sign Petti is not recuperating?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
its a sign they got a cheap pass catching TE to run alot more two TE sets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Just got from email from Philly:

Eagles send 2010 5ht round draft pick (#137) to Denver. Denver sends Te Scheffler to Detroit, Detroit sends Ernie Simms Lb to Philly.

this is a shock to me.

First I though Denver could do better than a 5th rounder for Scheffler.
Second, Why does Detroit need Scheffler with Pettigrew?
Lastly, Philly get dire help at LB which they needed with Simms.

Edit - Denver also sent a 7th rounder to Detroit in this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phicinfan

Administrator
See my thread, or you may want to merge. Denver got the #137 pick from Philly a 5th rounder.

Philly needed LB help. Not sure why Detroit wants Scheffler with Pettigrew there.

See my thread, or you may want to merge. Denver got the #137 pick from Philly a 5th rounder.

Philly needed LB help. Not sure why Detroit wants Scheffler with Pettigrew there.

This thread can be deleted - your heading is a little clearer on what the topic actually is.

I see the benefit for the other 2 teams (thought Den would at least get a player when they traded Schef) but not sure why Detroit became involved.

Coachnorm

its a sign they got a cheap pass catching TE to run alot more two TE sets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Monday's acquisition of Tony Scheffler sparked speculation that Pettigrew might be behind schedule (he did also tear an ACL in college), but that's not the case. The reality is Scheffler and Pettigrew are completely different players. Pettigrew is an in-line tight end. Scheffler is a slot receiver.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
What I don't understand is this - why spend a 5th round pick on a guy as a one year fix? The Eagles are presumably in rebuilding mode and it doesn't make sense to not extend Sims' contract from a 1-year to at least a 2-year deal.

Am I crazy or are they?

Phicinfan

Administrator
What I don't understand is this - why spend a 5th round pick on a guy as a one year fix? The Eagles are presumably in rebuilding mode and it doesn't make sense to not extend Sims' contract from a 1-year to at least a 2-year deal.

Am I crazy or are they?
I think health plays a role there Birdman. Sims has had alot of injury issues. Why tie up a guy who may not be able to play a whole season? I think this was a depth move. They will draft other Lbs this draft, and while they figure out who is usable, they now have experience coming off the bench in Sims incase of injury. No more running out and getting used up has beens.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
Will Detroit now be looking for LBs as well in the draft? I'm not sure about this move. I liked all the other ones Detroit has been making.

Can someone explain to me why Detroit needed to get Scheffler and move Sims?

Will Detroit now be looking for LBs as well in the draft? I'm not sure about this move. I liked all the other ones Detroit has been making.

Having like the moves so far as well, I was surprised with this trade. I guess the 2 TE set has some merit but I don't think that is the cause for this move.

Petti is still recovering and when Fitzgerald retired due to his concussions there was immediate rumblings about a TE being selected. I think the team bypassed getting an OL last year because the TE position will be a prominent part of the O.

I am warming up to the idea of this trade even though I do not write Sims off as unable to stay on the field (could be a make or break season for him in that respect). I also believe Sims could rebound nicely if he had the upgrades up front like Detroit is putting into place. But if he is in the last year of his contract and the team does not see him as a fit for the D because he is struggling with the changes then I think this may have been best for both the team and Ernie.

Not buying into the 2 TE set I am curious what impact it has on both of these TE's - up till now they both had promise of being productive but will Det have enough to make both/either of them a fantasy factor?

Is Bullock healthy and coming to town?

Phicinfan

Administrator

My understanding is he does not fit the system they are now playing. He is a smallish speed guy, and they look for bigger harder hitting LBs in the new system. It is believed to be one reason he was so beat up.

As for Scheffler......if you have a young Qb, you need weapons for him. By getting Scheffler, you have a hot read over the middle while Pettrigrew gets back in gear. Allows you to keep Pettigrew in for extra blocking. No new contract for Scheff...so he may be gone next year.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Not a big fan of teams creating holes while not having an apparent fallback option. Detroit and Denver both did this because now they'll be adjusting their draft needs at the 11th hour at LB and TE, respectably.
In addition to losing Larry Foote, the Lions now deal away another starting LB from last year. Rookie DeAndre Levy is a fast riser but Julian Peterson took a big step back after being acquired from Seattle last year and looked like a shadow of his former self. They'll need to look at a LB earlier than they originally wanted to in Thursday's draft, and hopefully they can unearth a gem who can start immediately.
Denver's TE corps now consists of Daniel Graham and 2nd year guy Richard Quinn. Scheffler was the other player along with B. Marshall who was suspended by McDaniels for week 17 last year and reportedly never got along with the coach. This draft will have some nice receiving TE talent available starting in round 3, so Denver may have a slightly easier time plugging that spot. My boy Dorin Dickerson, a hybrid WR/TE from Pitt, would be ideal for them at the beginning of round 3 since he fills a receiving void left by Marshall and Scheffler. Kyle Orton/Brady Quinn must be wondering who exactly they'll be throwing to this fall.
Philly is the potential winner, bigtime. Sims has shown flashes that he can be a tackling machine and although he's flirted with the injury-risk label, he's still only 25, and he's miles better than what they could've had available with the pick they traded..

joefan71

Pitbulls on Crack
Peterson may have "taken a step back" but his numbers were still much better than Sims. Peterson was playing on a new team and moved back to LLB after playing 3 years at RLB in Seattle. 4.5 sacks for a 31 year old linebacker isn't bad.

As far as the 2 TE set goes this is how I think it works for Detroit. First, particularly in red zone offense, Scheffler lined up wide with CJ would create problems for defenses trying to cover to 6' 5" targets. Second, Pettigrew's in-line blocking on the left side would afford more blind side protection for Stafford.