The Brady Rule

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
OK this is basically just me venting about what I perceive to be a huge problem in today's NFL.

These rule changes have gone past excessive with regards to what the defense can / can't do. Now they are saying that a defender can't hit the QB low regardless of the situation - even though it's already established that you can't hit them high.

Maybe I'm missing something but this just seems crazy to me. I am already livid over the number of yellow flags that get thrown out due to bogus late hit calls on QBs (its hardly ever a truly late hit, mostly the defender is already in the air etc. and it changes the entire game) and now the legal hit zone on a QB is getting smaller and smaller. Defenders that are legitimately trying to tackle the opposing QB have to worry about a dozen different things now that could drastically influence the outcome of the game. What if the QB simply ducks? How do you tackle him then?

Anyways... I'm rambling... and I'm upset over this new rule. What do other people think?

Coachnorm

Christopher L. Gasper, of the Boston Globe, reports the NFL Competition Committee has adopted a clarification of the current rule on low hits on the quarterbacks. The addition states it is prohibited for a defender on the ground who has not been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at a quarterback's lower legs.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Christopher L. Gasper, of the Boston Globe, reports the NFL Competition Committee has adopted a clarification of the current rule on low hits on the quarterbacks. The addition states it is prohibited for a defender on the ground who has not been blocked or fouled directly into the quarterback from lunging or diving at a quarterback's lower legs.

Yeah, I probably should have included the text of the rule. Thanks for adding it.

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
I wonder if, say a lesser QB went down with a season ending knee injury the way T.Brady did, would there be a rule change??? Hmmmmm :headscratch:

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
When Jan Brady leaves the pocket for the first time i hope he gets hammered like never before. Fricking :gay2: boy :xpissed:

Mike

Administrator
This rule change sucks.

It's not the only rule change that sucks though.

No more wedge on kick returns? No more loading up one side on onside kicks? They may as well have just taken the onside kick out of the freaking game.

Mike

Administrator
I think it is funny that they come up with rules like this, but they hold on to their "bread and butter" which is allowing players to launch at other players rather than actually making tackles.

Not sure about you guys but I see more players getting hurt from these launches than any of the crap they just made illegal.

With these new rules, Howie Long would be an average player most likely in today's NFL. He made a career out of the ability to bring a QB down after he had been knocked to the ground. Now, he either had to lay there til the play is over, or he can attempt to get up and pursue the QB again, but we all know the play is over by then and the quarterback is nice and safe, just like the NFL wants.