SO Q&A: Off-season Week 1

JScott

Administrator
1.) Is Ezekiel Elliott the hands down #1 rookie draft pick? Will his landing spot make any difference?

2.) Calvin Johnson officially announced his retirement. Golden Tate's value gets a bump but will he actually perform as a WR1 without Calvin across from him? Or is now just a good time to sell him as a "WR1"?

3.) DeMarco Murray was traded to the Tennessee Titans where he has no real competition in the backfield. The Titans look to be going OL with the #1 overall pick. Does this scenario put Murray in the top 5 RBs going into 2016?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
1.) Is Ezekiel Elliott the hands down #1 rookie draft pick? Will his landing spot make any difference?
I am a huge fan of Elliot, but I don't think you can blindly say he is #1 until after he gets drafted and we see what is what. If he ends up on a crappy team, say Cleveland, where there is no O-line and no Qb to pass with....then he could be superman and won't do much but get beat up. Looking at teams needing Rbs in this draft, he could go anywhere from #2(yeah you heard it here first, not sure Qbs are worth this high of a slot) til a late as Denver at 32. Wouldn't Denver be a fun place to end up.

2.) Calvin Johnson officially announced his retirement. Golden Tate's value gets a bump but will he actually perform as a WR1 without Calvin across from him? Or is now just a good time to sell him as a "WR1"?
This depends on the scoring. If you get ppr, then yes, you keep Tate and ride his possession receptions as there is no other option. If this is standard scoring then you trade him now....as he won't IMO have huge games except for garbage time. I think Detroit tries to run more this year to protect Stafford more, and they need a lot of O-line help as well. But....if they get a big time FA Wr...this could change.

3.) DeMarco Murray was traded to the Tennessee Titans where he has no real competition in the backfield. The Titans look to be going OL with the #1 overall pick. Does this scenario put Murray in the top 5 RBs going into 2016?
I really like this move for Murray. First he wasn't used much last year, so he is well rested after his big use year in Dallas. 2nd as you point out, it looks like they plan to go O-line early and fix their issues to protect the rookie Qb and get running going. Also they run a much more run oriented offense, and more quick hit style he likes. I think he could end up a top 5 back in Tenn. Depending on where some FAs and drafted Rbs go.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The Bengal wideout is rumored to be heading to Detroit.

Marvin Jones
yeah this furthers my beliefs in Tate only in ppr. Jones will be the deep route receiver, and Tate will be the over the middle receptions guy. Keep or buy in ppr, but in standard scoring I might shy away, or sell high.

freyguy

Pick to Click
Actually for a flip of 4th rounders, Titans moved back, Philly moves up, similar to the Miami deal in the first round
What happens to his contract with this move? (Coming from someone who doesn't know much about contracts in trades)

Phicinfan

Administrator
What happens to his contract with this move? (Coming from someone who doesn't know much about contracts in trades)
they redid the deal to spread out the hurt, by making it more signing bonus. But he still gets a hefty amount