So let's answer those questions...

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
It appears that for the first time since I have played fantasy football the RB position will truly not be a top selection. Most mocks I have seen so far have RB going 2 or 3 but WR is definitely the top choice in the first 3 picks. This tells me that there could be some real RB values in the 3rd and 4th round this year but the reasons why could be the fact that there are so many questionable RB situations.

I need help answering them and you people are the ones for the job!

1. David Johnson - I have seen him as the 2nd RB off the board with Bell's suspension looming. He is just too unproven. Will he be the certain #1 RB or will Arizona revert back to the RBBC. Does he catch enough passes?
  2. Matt Forte - New team, worse O-line, worse situation??? Just don't know. It is kinda eye opening to think that the Jets O could be better than Chicago but the sum of their parts does look more appealing. But will the Jets rely on Forte as much as Chicago did? Will he be utilized in the passing game like before? Plus he is getting long in the tooth for a RB.
  3. Devonta Freeman - There is no doubt in my mind that Tevin Coleman is the more talented back in the ATL but dude stays injured and he is already nursing injuries in camp. Just have no confidence this guy can stay on the field. But if he does he will supplant Freeman as the feature back. So this is a dual question mark. Who carries the load for the long haul, Freeman or Coleman? Or both?
  4. Matt Jones - Although it seems like it should be settled with the departure of Alfred Morris I don't see anything remotely resembling a settled backfield for Washington. Can the 'fumbler' hold that job long term?
  5. Lesean McCoy - With his backfield mate suspended for 4 games is he a hidden value? Can he stay healthy? What is Reggie Bush's role going to be?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
It appears that for the first time since I have played fantasy football the RB position will truly not be a top selection. Most mocks I have seen so far have RB going 2 or 3 but WR is definitely the top choice in the first 3 picks. This tells me that there could be some real RB values in the 3rd and 4th round this year but the reasons why could be the fact that there are so many questionable RB situations.

I need help answering them and you people are the ones for the job!
No worries, we are here for ya!!!

David Johnson - I have seen him as the 2nd RB off the board with Bell's suspension looming. He is just too unproven. Will he be the certain #1 RB or will Arizona revert back to the RBBC. Does he catch enough passes?
Yes he is the real deal, and by all reports he is the show, and CJ will only be used to spell him. I would definately put him at #1.

Matt Forte - New team, worse O-line, worse situation??? Just don't know. It is kinda eye opening to think that the Jets O could be better than Chicago but the sum of their parts does look more appealing. But will the Jets rely on Forte as much as Chicago did? Will he be utilized in the passing game like before? Plus he is getting long in the tooth for a RB.
I am not sold the O-line is worse. Chicago's line was not all that. However, he does have age and mileage on him. The key to me for Forte is the PPR value. He is an excellent receiver, and Fitz has a bit of a noodle arm. If you have ppr he is good value, but not top 5 rb regardless.

Devonta Freeman - There is no doubt in my mind that Tevin Coleman is the more talented back in the ATL but dude stays injured and he is already nursing injuries in camp. Just have no confidence this guy can stay on the field. But if he does he will supplant Freeman as the feature back. So this is a dual question mark. Who carries the load for the long haul, Freeman or Coleman? Or both?
Not sure on Freeman, he wore down pretty badly toward end of season, but by all reports he is still the lead back. I know the team loves Coleman's explosiveness, but as you point out he keeps getting dinged up. I would lean Freeman here, and expect him to have similar numbers to last year, with a slight dip if Coleman is able to get healthy.

Matt Jones - Although it seems like it should be settled with the departure of Alfred Morris I don't see anything remotely resembling a settled backfield for Washington. Can the 'fumbler' hold that job long term?
Matty is the man, but he can't catch, so that makes him basically a two down back. Not sure who will be the receiving back ....but depending on scoring, he could be a decent Rb 3 or lower Rb2

Lesean McCoy - With his backfield mate suspended for 4 games is he a hidden value? Can he stay healthy? What is Reggie Bush's role going to be?
If he is healthy, he will be the work horse. I just don't know how durable he really is. Philly didn't trade him only due to conflict with Kelly, I think he is starting to wear down. That being said though he is the main back in a run heavy offense, so he is worth the late second to mid 3rd I have seen him at.

ExperiencedRookie

If you want a RB in round 4 who will get a boat load of work and comes with w cheap handcuff, take Latavius Murray.

Raisers O is coming up, their line is stacked, and there's not much by the way of a committee approach here.

German CTL

Circle City Outlaw
I probably won't have any shares of Forte this year. His age and mileage, coupled with the new situation is something I'll be avoiding. The fact that the Jets just signed Bilal Powell to a similiar contract as Forte reeks of a committee to me. I'd just assume let someone overpay for Forte's name and draft Powell way later myself.

Freeman is another guy who won't find his way onto any of my teams. 2nd round price tag for a guy that's bound to be in a full blown committee with Coleman??? No thanks, I'll gladly let someone else have him.

cctekguy

Staff member
I think you're whistling in the wind with Johnson. In for a good season but not at a 1st round cost. If he slips to 2, then I'd consider it.

Forte is done, best I can tell. Still relevant, but low end RB2. Late 3rd is a smidgen too high.

Same with Freeman. No where near last years stats. Middle second is too high but if you can grab Coleman in the 9th, I'd go for it.

I like McCoy for a RB1 in the 3rd if you go WR/WR.

I don't know much about Matt Jones, but hanging around in the 5th seems reasonable. Washington, as a franchise, has been a little scary lately so I'm not sure what to expect.

DeMarco in the 5th seems like the steal of the draft. Ryan Mathews in the 6th would make a nice 1-2 punch. Throw in Melvin Gordon in the 7th and I think you're on to something.

Three WRs and a QB/TE before you ever draft a RB and end up with those 3 Rbs and I think you're set.

efactor

Coming at you
Man, Murray has red flags all over the place for me

-McCluster is the 3rd down back so minimal receptions
-they didn't take Henry in the 2nd round to sit on bench. He will get his share of carries plus probably the in close opportunities
-just looked bad last year. A lot of the blame went to the system, but maybe his success in Dallas was being in a perfect system for him. Tennessee is not Dallas.

Starting to warm up to Matthews a bit. If I knew he would only miss a couple games this year, I would be all over that. Sporles is supposed to have a bigger role this year, but Matthews is a good receiver too so expect his receptions to be 45 plus.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So...just my take on a few of these:
L.Murray, agree with RE that he is a great target you can get later, and Oakland will run

D.Murray, I was leery of him due to Henry - but Henry is getting dogged by HC for being slow in practice and not going full gun early. So I am back on Murray train.

Matthews, love his opportunity as Pederson will run a ton, but he is not Charles and I see Philly as a KC light offense. So I see Sproles and Smallwood being the main backs in that offense. Just me, but I am looking Sproles in 8th or so for a quick ppr steal.

D.Johnson is a risk due to draft status, - you have to give up a 1st rounder to get him, high first round at that. What happens if Palmer goes down?? His and all the Wrs in Arizona tank. To much risk for a high pick. Would much rather get a solid Wr like J.Jones, or Bryant or Robinson or them.

I agree, Matt Jones is really, really intriguing. he can catch, he can run, and he is THE back in Washington, and he is going late.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
So any clarification after 3 preseason games?

I feel better about D. Johnson. Matt Jones is hurt. Freeman looks about the same...

Remote Controller

1.David Johnson - He is one of the best receiving backs ever according to many experts comparing him to Rodger Craig and Faulk in that area. He would/will be the first back I take in ppr formats
2.Matt Forte - Matt will be a fine work horse back for the Jets. We know he can catch and this offense runs a lot and has an oline much better at run blocking than pass protecting.
3.Devonta Freeman - Freeman will be fine until he ultimatly breaks down. I don't see Tevin ever getting in the swing of things. Freeman isn't worth the price required.
4.Matt Jones - He had things lined up perfectly this season until the injury. Now one of his main threats is hurt too (Marshall). Chris Thompson is just a change of pace guy and Rob Keely will start the season as the starter. As for the fumbling?.....we will have to wait and see. Alfred is looking pretty good right now.
5.Lesean McCoy - They will run a lot and Karlos is gone. Reggie will have a small role and (cut and Pasted)

Many draft analysts consider the 5'11", 220-pound Williams a sleeper with starter upside. Williams has excellent balance NFL-caliber burst. He'll need a great camp to usurp time from LeSean McCoy. With Karlos Williams cut, Jonathan Williams can provide adequate skill between the tackles as long as he doesn't try too hard to bounce plays outside and he doesn't earn a suspension for his June DWI arrest.