Site updates coming

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Just a heads up, I am going to have to update the software the site is running on, and Xenforo is no longer supporting the version we have.

Not sure how long it will take my Tech person to do this update, but you may see some issues with access for a bit.

Also, having him look into some upgrades which hopefully you all like.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Don’t like the share to other sites as then I loose control of who can share my posts, view it and use it in any way they want, which results in generic posts from me.......like weather conditions only. I did’t find any way in settings to prevent that.

JScott

Administrator
Anyone could have cut/paste a post to any other site before too. The Share option does make something like that easier, but at least it's a link back to SO so the author gets the credit.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Agreed, with JScott - it is always a possibility with cut and paste anyway, this way if someone does use our material on another site, we get credit, and maybe hopefully some added folks visiting.

JScott

Administrator
I just did a test, and shared my post to Twitter. It showed a link in the tweet back to the SO post but not the post itself. I click on it and it brings me right to the test post. Not sure it would for non-members.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Has anyone enabled "push notifications" and if so what did it do? I do not click very often unless I know what is about to happen. Especially on a work computer.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I did not, reason being is I don't want notification on my computer every time someone pings me, or posts on one of my posts or such. It is like a quick instant messager note to you on either a comment made by you or thread and someone posted or "liked" it. It just gets annoying to me after a while, so I don't allow push notices

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I already get an e-mail box of notices everytime someone posts on a thread I have commented on. That's enough for me.

romanempire

Site looks a lot better. Would have been nice if you could have added an upvote/downvote function and the ability the post GIFs. Just my two cents.

Phicinfan

Administrator
GIFs take a whole lot of space, and costs to run then. If we get larger I can look at it, but at this size thought it was a bit pricey.

If you look at the "like" feature - you can see you can give positive or negative feedback...so I thought it was good for the up down thing

Mike

Administrator
Has anyone enabled "push notifications" and if so what did it do? I do not click very often unless I know what is about to happen. Especially on a work computer.

On anything non IOS, you will get notifications for various things on the forum, kind of like Facebook does (if you have Facebook and notifications on). From an Iphone, nothing will happen as Xenforo and Apple just don't play well together in this arena. You can turn it on, see if you like it, and then turn it off in your control panel if it is annoying.