Seahawks Draft Strategy/Needs

Arctic Dawgs

This is a post I put up on a Seahawks Forum

Seahawks Blue Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
When I first read those comments weeks ago, I got a angry at Ruskell.
He tried hard to sell us all on the idea that he's already found some very good finds for our O-Line in the later rounds, and named several names of players who haven't done CRAP.
Ruskell, the next time you try to sell people on your special players, at least use names of people that are actually starters on this team. The scrubs you mentioned couldn't start anywhere but here in Seattle last season when everyone else was hurt.

Ruskell needs to get over this wrong headed notion he has about O-Linemen in the later rounds, and start realizing that it was STELLAR )O-Line play from High draft picks like Jones and Hutch that got us to that first Superbowl in 05, and without a top notch O-Line, this team will continue to flounder around at the bottom of the league like it did last season.

I like and agree with Ruskell most of the time, but on that issue, he's out of his bloody mind, and it is showing big time, with our line play constantly getting worse and worse every year.

I couldn't agree more. Over the last 4 years TR has drafted Tatupo, Hill (2005) Jennings, Tapp (2006), Wilson, Mebrane (2007), and Jackson (2008) in the first 3 rounds to team up with Kearney, Peterson, and Trufant. Bryant and Atkins were also 4th round picks during this same period. If a very good defense cannot be fielded after all those high picks, Seattle either needs new coaching staff or a new GM

Meanwhile over the same 4 year period only 3 players have been drafted in the first 3 rounds for Offense. Spencer and QB Greene in 2005, and Carlson in 2008. Willis, Simms, and Wrotto were 4th round picks during this time. During this period he has also jettisoned Offensive choices of the previous administration in Hutch, S.A., K.Rob, D.Jax., Stevens to replace them with Branch, Burleson, Duckett, Jones, and Wahle via FA/Trades.

That is 2 starter quality Off picks (if you want to count Spencer) in the 4 years after SB XL in the 1st 3 rounds of the draft. And some of you still want to use day 1 picks this year on Def ?? WTF

The quickest way to improve the Def is to control the clock/scoreboard. This will require a much improved running game that will only be achieved by strengthening the Oline and RBs. I do not drink the koolaid that TR can find the next Walt and Hutch that 31 other GMs have missed in the fourth round. I also do not believe that Jones and Duckett are the answer at RB. Keep them for another year because we are stuck with their contracts, but we need to find a long term replacement #1 RB now.

WR and QB are the next most critical needs after that, and if they are selected before fixing the running game it won't matter. T.O. and Jerry Rice can't/couldn't catch passes from a QB laying on his back when the Def has no respect for the run.

The draft I would like to see is this:

- (no trades)
- Rd #1 - OT
- Rd #2 - C (Mack, Unger)
- Rd #3 - RB (D.Brown, Jennings)

- (with trades)
- Trade back with Raiders for M.Bush and #7
- OT or trade back with Niners (??) for #10 and a 3rd/4th rd pick
- Rd #1 - OT (now we have a RB and OT)
- Rd #2 - C (Mack or Unger)
- Rd #3/4 - 2 or 3 picks to use on WR, QB, and/or D

This would make the Hawks the dominant team in the NFC West long term. WR would probably be the biggest need in 2010/2011 though. Doesn't Burleson have some huge cap years coming up soon.

The selection of a RB or Oline (both abundant) last year instead of Jackson would not have left us in this situation.