Sarges Random Late Night Thoughts - Take out the trash

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Kudos to Andre Johnson for putting the bitchslap on Cortland Finnegan. Was a long time coming. On to the show!

The AFC East -
Miami - Really ran wild on the Raiders sans Marshall. Pretty solid effort gets the Dolphins to 6-5, but still 3 games behind the Jets and Pats. First sighting of Brown and/or Williams in a while, as the Fins ran for 186 yards on 49 carries. Next up is an interesting game vs Peyton Hillis and the Cleveland Browns.

Buffalo - Did alot better than expected against the Steelers. Steve, that TD pass is one you HAVE to haul in. FJax put up nearly 30 in PPR leagues, and the Bills, even with the loss, look much different the last 3 weeks than the team who lost 8 in a row. Buffalo vs Minnesota this week, and Ill call the upset now.

NY Jets - It took a half to get the Jets woke up, but they still crushed the Bengals on Turkey Day. At 9-2, the Jets are in firm control of their destiny, and can take a big step toward home field advantage with a win on Monday Night against the Patriots. Im a bit concerned at the lack of productivity from the Jets rushing attack, but Im sure it will sort itself out.

New England - Peckerslapped the Lions on Thansgiving after waking up in the second half. The Pats looked solid in the tuneup before Monday Night's showdown with the Jets. Deion Branch looked like a viable deep threat for the first time in weeks, but lets be realistic, this was the Lions, not the Jets out there. Still, at 9-2 the Patriots are also in control of their own destiny, but face a MUST win Monday.

AFC North -
Pittsburgh - Beat Buffalo in OT, a testimate to how bad the offense played. Was good to see a Hines Ward appearance, but expect it to be the exception more than the rule. Big game on Sunday Night Football against the Baltimore Ravens, who got a win over the Steelers. Both teams come in at 8-3, but the Ravens already hold a H2H win in Pitt. Big Ben is in a walking boot, so keep an eye on that headed into the game.

Baltimore - Slipped by the Bucs last weekend 17-10. At 8-3, the Ravens techically lead the division by way of a H2H win over the Steelers, but face them Sunday Night. Joe Flacco needs to grow up. Now. There is more than enough talent on the field to beat the Steelers, but he has to step up and lead this football team. Keep an eye on James Harrison's mental status, as a hesitant Harrison helps the Ravens offense.

Cincinnati - Got their ass kicked by the Jets. Pretty much just going through the motions right now waiting for the offseason. TO and Shipley should have decent games against the Saints this weekend, but the Bengals probably wont stay within 3 scores of New Orleans. Another couple losses and Ill quit paying any attention to the Bengals in this column.

Cleveland - Peyton Hillis beat the Panthers. Dont let anyone else tell you it was a team effort. Hillis should get MVP consideration. The guy is the best football player in the AFC right now. Just a warrior. As for the Browns, they are still having a pretty good season by franchise standards. Jake Delhomme will remain QB with McCoy out. This week the Browns face Miami, who just throttled DMac. I expect Hillis will get his usual 50/60 and a TD thats become his standard.

AFC South -
Houston - Beat the flaming thumbtacks, both on the field and in the octagon. Andre Johnson did the right thing. This will be the only time in history you see the Houston Texans pitch a shutout. Houston vs Philadelphia on Thursday Night, which means the defense will go back to giving up 30 points a game. IDP guys keep an eye on Zach Diles during the short week. He did play in week 12, but didnt play much coming off the heart issue.

Titans - Pretty much got killed on and off the field. Randy Moss had a shot at a TD but half assed his deep route. Then again, the Titans squad pretty much half assed the entire game. This team has a mulititude of issues on and off the field, and its a fantasy waste land right now. Titans vs Jags Sunday, so pay attention to who the starter is, ie will Jeff Fisher rush Kerry Collins back or will he let rookie Rusty Smith stay in command.

Indianapolis - Pretty much falling apart right now. The Chargers freely admit the Colts offense is so predictable they knew where to be to take the 2 picks back to the house. This is a time where someone in that locker room needs to step up and take control. Dallas comes to town this weekend, yet another team with everything to gain and nothing to lose, and a loss to the Cowboys would severly damage Indy's psyche. The Colts may get Joseph Addai back this weekend, but Id keep a close eye on the injury reports.

Jacksonville -Came close to beating the Giants, but didnt play a complete game. Still, the Jags are leading the division with 5 games to go, and have a real shot at winning the whole thing. Jacksonville faces Tennessee this weekend, so start all your Jags as you normally would. If Rusty Smith starts at QB for the Titans, pick up the Jags D off waivers and enjoy the points.

AFC West
Kansas City - "I could easily see a 3 TD game out of Bowe" Apparently he did as well. Bowe has been the best WR in fantasy the last several weeks. At 7-4, the Chiefs are a beating of San Diego away from taking a stranglehold of the AFC West. KC vs Denver this week, so expect more offensive fireworks. Not calling a winner, but I dont think KC will get caught napping this time.

San Diego - Who knew Rivers would have his worst game of the year and the Chargers would still win by 3 scores. The Chargers are doing their normal late season peak, and did this without VJax, who hurt his calf (keep an eye on the injury report). Mike Tolbert has proven himself to be the next Michael Turner, and overall the Chargers are rolling. Chargers vs Raiders this week, and if the Raiders dont pick it up, itll be another decisive Chargers victory. Keep an eye on the VJax/Gates injury reports this week.

Denver - Like so many games this year, the Denver offense did enough to win, and the defense did more than enough to lose. The Broncos are a great team for fantasy purposes, and this week faces a KC team they put up a boatload on earlier this year. Start every Bronco as you normally would, and again keep in mind what Jabar Gaffney does to the Chiefs.

Oakland - Got the snot kicked out of them by Miami. The Raiders have been pretty bad the last couple weeks, and really need to pull their heads out if they hold any AFC West hopes. Oakland faces San Diego this weekend, and its pretty simple. Win, and your in 2nd place with 4 to go and the tie breaker over the Chargers. Lose, and your 5-7 and realistically out of the chase. Jacoby Ford has been electric, so keep an eye on him if you need a spot start, and for DMac this is the biggest game of the year. He NEEDS to explode if the Raiders want to win.

NFC East -
Dallas - The Cowboys took the Saints to the limit before falling late on a missed FG. This is definately a different football team than weve seen before the firing. This week Dallas faces reeling Indianapolis, and I think the Boys have a good shot and pulling the upset. Keep an eye on Barbers injury status this week, as him being limited could lead to a Tashard Choice sighting, a guy who is too talented to be riding the pine.

Washington - Got beat by the Vikings. This team may be 5-6, but they were out of it a long time ago. The Skins ran for just 29 yards and got beat down in all phases. As usual, cant tell you who to start, and with Washington facing the Giants this week, you probably didnt want to start any Skins anyway.

Philadelphia - Really laid an egg against the Bears, and then Andy Reid stirred up crap in the lockerroom blaming DJax. Andy...he dont play QB or call the plays.... The Eagles are still one of the better teams in the NFC, and this week face a bad Houston Texans secondary on Thursday Night. Translation: DJax and everyone else will get stats galore.

New York Giants - Got the job done with a skeleton crew against the Jags. Manningham did well in his first test as the teams WR1. Brandon Jacobs bulled for the tough yards, and Justin Tuck showed alot of leadership calling out his team at halftime. The Giants needed a win like this, and they went out and got it. The Giants get the reeling Washington Redskins this week, and should have more than enough in the tank to win this one around 31-17. Until otherwise instructed, keep starting Manningham if you got em.

NFC North
Chicago - Somehow, this team keeps winning ballgames. I dont know how they are doing it, but its happening. Jay Culter threw for 4 TDs and the Bears got Michael Vick to turn the ball over for the first time in years. Chicago takes its one game lead into a game with the Detroit Lions this weekend. As bad as the Lions looked last week, and with the Bears propensity to find ways of winning, Forte, Cutler, and Knox all look like red hot starts. Anybody seen Chester Taylor lately?

Green Bay - Got beat by the Falcons in a game they really needed to keep pace with Chicago. Didnt play a bad game mind you, just got beat. Green Bay faces San Francisco this week sans Frank Gore, so its a safe bet to start your Packers if you got em. Not sure how the Pack will handle Brian Westbrook, but this is a must win for Green Bay, as a loss would likely put them 2 games behind Chicago with 4 to go.

Minnesota - Well....they won. It wasnt impressive by any means, and it took Brett Favre running out of his Wranglers to get it done, but a win is a win. AP looks like he will be a go this week, but we all saw Toby Gerhart can handle the load if needed. The Vikes face Buffalo this weekend, and Im sensing a Buffalo victory, somewhere around 24-21. If anyone has a recommendation on Sidney Rice, Im open to hearing it.

Detroit - Hope you picked up Maurice Morris. I did, and it was a good start. Lions, there is no reason to play Jahvid Best. Just let the man heal.
The Lions hung tough for awhile, but eventually got hammered by Tom Brady and company. I did like to see the fight in the Lions when the Pats were pouring it on. Previous Lions teams would have just taken it and smiled. Detroit vs Chicago this week, so no realistic hope of a W, but there should be enough room to make Pettigrew, Morris, and Megatron good starts.

NFC South
Tampa Bay - Came very close to beating the Ravens. Most Bucs are becoming weekly fantasy starts, and the defense keeps doing better than expected. Tampa Bay faces Atlanta this week, and make no bones about it, this is the biggest game of the year for the the Bucs. A win pulls them within a game of Atlanta. A loss will severly damage their playoff hopes. Personally, Im going to call the Bucs upset. This team is so young they dont know they arent supposed to win. (Just let Ryan throw 4 TDs please. Thanks)

New Orleans - Came close to disaster, but managed to come back and beat Dallas. The Saints are getting hot at the right time, and need it to keep pace with Atlanta. New Orleans should blow out Cincinnati this week, so start your Saints. Anybody with a status on Pierre Thomas let the Sarge know ASAP.

Atlanta - Thanks to Mav, its now pointed out to me Matt Ryan is 19-1 at home, and he did the job in a huge win over Green Bay. The Falcons lead the division with 4 to go, and this week take their 9-2 record to Tampa Bay in a must win for both teams. Start Turner, Ryan, and White as usual, and go with Gonzalez if you got him, as the Bucs did just let Todd "Scrap" Heap get loose for a loooong TD.

Carolina - Still sucks, but at least Mike Goodson is giving me something to talk about. Goodson is definately doing what it takes to get a job with someone else, and all in all looks like the best offensive player the Panthers have. Carolina vs Seattle this week, so Im going to say now this is the Panthers best chance at getting one last win on the year, and if they do, its going to be on Goodson to get it done.

NFC West
San Francisco - Faces the nightmare scenario with Frank Gore out for the year with a bad hip. If you have the ability to get Westbrook, go get him. San Francisco faces Green Bay this weekend. The loss of Frank Gore is so massive in the real and fantasy world, Ill have more to say about the 49ers after this weeks game.

Seattle - Another game, another week where Seattle got smoked.
This week, the Hawks face the Panthers, in what should be both teams best chance at a last win for the year. The Hawks cant stop the pass, but the Panthers cant pass. Bottomline, its going to be a diceroll starting any of the Hawks this week. Hope Pete Carroll has some off season ideas to fix this.

Arizona - Derek Anderson thinks losing is funny. I assure DA, the fans dont think the fall of Arizona is a laughing matter. Anyone else think the Cardinals have forgot they employ Larry Fitzgerald? Im starting to wonder how many coaches are players are going to be unemployed at the end of the year. Anyone who has some thoughts on this situation feel free to share with the Sarge.

St Louis - I couldnt get Fells, so I picked up TE Michael Howskafaindeayidayad and laughed as he rumbled to a TD. The Rams did a hell of a job outscoring the Broncos this weekend, and are in the thick of the playoff chase. The Rams face the Cardinals this week, so it looks like victory and high scoring days ahead for St Louis.

Those are my random thoughts for now. Feel free to throw in yours

derringer007

"Its An Outrage"
The Bills WR Steve Johnson feels really bad about his lack of performance week 12 that i believe SJ snaps back huge 8 receptions 100 + yards and a couple of TD's.

Well Sarge, put a fork in the Raiders there done, with B.Gradkowski likely done for the year after re-aggravating his shoulder injury last week.

The next 5 games are going to be brutal for Oakland.

Oak @ SD = Loss
Oak @ Jacksonville, could go either way :biglaugh: MJD runs for his season high = Loss
Denver @ Oak = Loss
Indy @ Oak, if the Raiders are going to win 1 game out of the last 5 could be v.s the pass happy Colts.
Oakland the travels to K.C. to end the season, nuff said

Now onto the 49ers naaaah why bother, F.Gore on IR ending any hopes of anything, one clean shot to Westy's dome and its IR for him also, HC Singletary will be looking for a new job in 2011.

Rams win the NFC West.

Another great job Sarge :nod:

Im Out

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I could most certainly use that kind of game from Steve Johnson this week.

While we are at it, Eddie Royal, LT, and whatever the hell I line up at TE can do it too

MNJHNSN

Buddy, I cant tell you how much I look forward to your banter. It is great. Thanks very much.

Tamaryth

Now, why didn't I find this forum before I lost the suicide pool I was in? I won last year and lost horribly this year. I could have used that banter, Sarge. Well, I know for next year.

Vicious_Machine

Last week you said NO would kick my cowboys ass, and I said otherwise, this week you say they will upset Indy, and I will once again go the other way. Cowboys will lose another close game to Indy, no upset for these boys. Indy lost the last 2 weeks because they had turnovers, and in the case of SD, they were converted into defensive TDs. One of the biggest issues with the cowboys is the lack of turnovers created on D. I cant believe Chucky is not coming to save us either.... :(

Great call on Bowe, he's become a total beast.

Houston D got a shutout???? I would have bet my first born child they had no chance in hell of pulling that off.... Where did that come from....

@ derringer007 - 100% agreed about my raiders too, we are in big trouble, if not totally screwed.

@ Sgt - wait, did you not predict Jets vs NWE?? WTF!!! Im voting NWE.

Cant remember who said it last week, but somebody mentioned that Atlanta would win (maverick????); what a call to whoever that was!! I was with Sarge, I thought GBay would get it done in the end but fell just short.

Vicious_Machine

Houston has pitched a shut out before vs Jax i think.

not this year; 4th lowest in ppg right now just looking at stats on yahoo.

And thats a big game for NWE as well; probably bigger because Jets already beat NWE so if Jets win, its essentially a two game lead cause first tie breaker is H2H right? Cannot wait!!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Pats sure seem to be playing better of late while the Jets are finding a way to get it done by hook or crook. Yeah-it should be a great game.

Vicious_Machine

I honestly expect a game full of gratuitous violence. God Bless the NFL.

That could be said about the Balt - Pitts game too.

And to a lesser extent the Oak - SD game.... simply because a raider player might decide to sucker punch a SD player if they start celebrating a TD, and you have to think SD might be celebrating a fair bit :p

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
not this year; 4th lowest in ppg right now just looking at stats on yahoo.

And thats a big game for NWE as well; probably bigger because Jets already beat NWE so if Jets win, its essentially a two game lead cause first tie breaker is H2H right? Cannot wait!!

This will be the only time in history you see the Houston Texans pitch a shutout.

Yes...not this year..but i was simply stating a fact correction to my errant brother.

Vicious_Machine

Yes...not this year..but i was simply stating a fact correction to my errant brother.

Oopsy!!

Great call on my boys though! Two TD returns to beat Indy!! I might have to do some google searching for the last time cowboys had TWO INT return TDs!! Feels like its been a few years since I saw that from the boys!!

and where did that come from the raiders.... ugh!! Giving me false hope again! Now I have to watch them @ jags next week with my heart on the line....

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Oak/Jax will be a good game. As usual Jax will open it up in by just dominating the 1st half running MJD giving Jag fans hope. 2nd half will tell a diferent story. If Oakland has any kind of offence they overcome the 14 point defecit and win the game. Jax has no 2nd half offence at all. Not hard to explain. They are predictable. They only run a few diferent plays and its easy to read. Yesterday it was up the middle or to the right side running. If they did pass , it was a screen or less then 5 yds and let the man run for yds. Not once did i see them throw the ball down feild. Even crappy TN saw this and made adjustments and shut them down in the 2nd half. If TN had any kind of consistency or rythm yesterday, they could have won it easily. Jax needs to open up the feild some to open up the box and maybe even complete a few passes down feild.

Vicious_Machine

Oak/Jax will be a good game. As usual Jax will open it up in by just dominating the 1st half running MJD giving Jag fans hope. 2nd half will tell a diferent story. If Oakland has any kind of offence they overcome the 14 point defecit and win the game. Jax has no 2nd half offence at all. Not hard to explain. They are predictable. They only run a few diferent plays and its easy to read. Yesterday it was up the middle or to the right side running. If they did pass , it was a screen or less then 5 yds and let the man run for yds. Not once did i see them throw the ball down feild. Even crappy TN saw this and made adjustments and shut them down in the 2nd half. If TN had any kind of consistency or rythm yesterday, they could have won it easily. Jax needs to open up the feild some to open up the box and maybe even complete a few passes down feild.

Just dont know about my raiders. Some of their wins, they have looked great. But some of their losses, they look like one of the worst teams in the NFL. Like I understand you lose to Pittsburg, but the effort they put in that game was pathetic, and their biggest game in years. And the week after they get whipped by Miami. Then somehow they ate Rivers alive!!

The good news is their schedule is decent, @Jax - Denver - Indy - @KC. Not easy at all, but none of these 4 teams have been dominant either. I do agree, the game next week is HUGE for both teams.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
With that schedule left for Oak, they have their destiny in their hands. With a little help of course. Jax/Denver are very winnable. Indy just isnt indy anymore so its winnable also. KC is the question mark. They're just playing downright good basic football and winning. Hopefully KC/SD battle each other and Oakland can sneak to the top. But they have to get by that annoying Jax team first for any of it to matter. As long as Jax can build a 17-21 pt lead at half, i think they'll be able to hold on and win by a fg. Speaking of Miami, man did they blow it yesterday or what. LOL. Stupid play call , bottom line. They should have ran the clock out and went to OT like everybody thought they would. Defence was playing good all day and maybe they would creat an opportunity for the offence.