Saints QB Drew Brees wins SI Sportsman of the Year

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
NEW YORK -- Drew Brees was honored as Sports Illustrated's sportsman of the year for his championship on the field and his charity off it.

Brees became the award's 57th recipient when the magazine made the announcement Tuesday on the "Today" show. The quarterback led the long-suffering New Orleans Saints to their first Super Bowl title in February, lifting the spirits of the hurricane-battered city.

But the cover story notes he's done much more than inspire with his brilliant play. Since Brees joined the Saints in 2006, just months after Hurricane Katrina tore through the city, his foundation has worked with nearly 50 New Orleans schools and organizations to aid in recovery.

"The more that I've learned about the award and that it goes well beyond what you accomplish on the field, that it's very much about what you do off the field as well, with community service and your family, makes the award even more special to me," Brees said.

Brees is the fifth NFL quarterback to be honored, and third in six years. The Pittsburgh Steelers' Terry Bradshaw won in 1979; the San Francisco 49ers' Joe Montana in 1990; the New England Patriots' Tom Brady in 2005; and the Green Bay Packers' Brett Favre in 2007.

Sports Illustrated Group editor Terry McDonell said he had been "determined not to be a slave to a calendar" in considering NFL players, even though it might seem like an eternity between the Super Bowl and the announcement of the award. But Brees' contributions outside of football made this selection easy.

"It's year-round for him," McDonell said.

Brees will be recognized at a ceremony Tuesday in New York with past winners, including Bill Russell, Curt Schilling and Montana.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It's nice to see him receive the recognition for the off the field efforts he gives to the greater New Orleans area.

aspera1163

It is one of the biggest flaws in the marketing of NFL stars. They make soooo much freaking money that its hard to say there is a flaw but there is a lot of current and retired players that do A LOT for thier community. Im from New Orleans so im familiar with Drew, Reggie, Deuce, PT, and the rest of the team's work they do to better the area but it really goes on in every NFL city. Im sure RZ can vouche in Tampa. Not to many people were better than D Brooks and Warrick Dunn as far as on and off the field guys. Its a shame that guys who torture dogs or shoot themselves make headlines but guys who build houses for needy families or get underprivlaged kids school supplies get unoticed by people who are in a position to give them accolades. Parents want to get angry at thier kids for idolizing flawed athletes but they are the ones who make the news.

Another thing that doesnt get noticed that I like is Ocho Cinco tweets a location in the away city that the Bengals are playing at and tells fans to meet him there and buys everyone (50-100 people) dinner. No one talks about it but for a guy who has a bad image, Ocho does a lot for fans and he doesnt really get in trouble with the law.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You're spot on talking about the things that Dunn did for his community. I even forgave him for packing his bags for Florida State after seeing what a well rounded young man he became.

Tamaryth

My husband met Drew while visiting Spring training. While most of the players took off for the locker room, Drew came over to the fans and shook hands and talked to them. He is just a class act. I lived in Denver and actually shared a parking lot with the Bronco's practice field. We would sometimes eat our lunch watching them practice. Not one time did ANY of the players come near the fans. And this was the Super Bowl winning Broncos.