Ryan Mallett
Quarterback - Arkansas
  • Height - 6'6"
  • Weight - 253
  • 40 Time - 5.10
2010 Stats:
  • 266 comp, 411 att, 3,869 yards, 64.7%, 32 TDs, 12 INT
Draft Projection - Early Rounder

NFL Impact - Ryan Mallett is a big, tough quarterback that has the best arm in this years draft. Mallett was a two year starter at Arkansas after a freshman season at Michigan where the quarterback saw playing time behind then injured starting quarterback, Chad Henne. Mallett has been a top prospect since high school, putting up numbers good enough to earn him the number two ranking at quarterback his senior year on rivals.com. His abilities shinned on tape at Arkansas. Mallett can make any throw into any window on the field, and is a true pocket passer, with exceptional vision, and football awareness. Ryan isn't afraid to step up into the pocket and makes quick decisions on his feet that often times result in success for his offense. He can play under center or in shotgun. His career stats at Arkansas are flat out impressive: 60.25% completion, back to back 3,600+ yards through the air, 15.4 yards per pass, and an incredible 62 TDs with only 19 INT in a total of 814 passes. There is another side of the coin, however. Mallett has some serious attitude concerns. In 2009 Ryan pled guilty to a misdemeanor charge of public intoxication, and has been known to come off as extremely rude to the public and the media. Because of this, Mallett's stock has fallen on several boards, from what could have been a clear number one overall pick, to a possible mid to late second rounder.

Where do you think Ryan Mallett will end up? Is he worth the hype?

YouTube - Ryan Mallett on Battling Nasty Rumors

YouTube - 2010 Alabama vs. Arkansas Highlights

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
My gut says Mallett goes 2nd round. Either to Buffalo or Arizona or Tennesee if they don't take Qbs in the first.

Washington is also a chance, but I think they are higher on a few others. I actually like Mallett at Tenn.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Read an article on him earlier and trying to see if i can find it. It said he is a definite prospect with all the abilities but his main issue was he panics under pressure and makes bad desicions. And it showed last season against Ohio ST and Auburn/ or Alabama, can't remember which team it was.I'll have to find the article.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Still looking for the article.

Taking a break from looking now. Getting tired of not seeing it. Probably come across it when not looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire

in the hole
I've been reading the same comments posted by Cerberus, but I have not seen Mallett play.

Runnik's Hambones

Mallett was really good in that game. Under a lot of pressure and still very accurate. His WRs kept dropping balls that night. Crazy that the Sugar Bowl was statistically his worst game all season, and his QB rating was still 110.36. He's really good.

Runnik's Hambones

I haven't posted how I feel about Mallett but I think the guy is flat out awesome! He should be a first rounder and I think quite a few teams will be turning down a gold mine in this kid. I agree with Phic, that TN would be a nice fit, but they're honestly not the only ones. Miami, Arizona, Buffalo, and Cincy could all benefit from a Mallett selection, IMO.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I think any young QB that goes to SF or Arizona has a leg up big time compared to any QB going to Buffalo or Cincy. Having the opportunity to throw to Crabtree or Fitz as a rookie will make things so much easier compared to being in Cincy/Buffalo throwing to...................whoever the fk they have.

Runnik's Hambones

Without a doubt, Cerberus. Some places will just fit better for young QBs. I'd throw TN and Miami in that bunch as well. Kenny Britt is the real deal, and CJ2K behind you is one hell of an asset. In Miami you'd have a decent O-line, with a solid mix of two all-pro RBs (even though I too believe that Miami should go after a young RB talent this year), a good TE, deep threat in Bess, and the best possession WR in the game in Marshall. Not to mention that both Miami and TN have a defense good enough to keep you in the game.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Agreed. Even tho Tennessee is more of a ? mark to me this coming up season. Thats alot of changes to go thru and then bring in a young QB. Don't think its a good mix to bring in a new coach and new QB fresh out of college. The learning curve for both will or might be too much.

Phicinfan

Administrator
It may be me, but I think it would be easier in Tenn, than in San Fran. Yes, they have a new HC, but he is a former titan player(oiler player) and coach. Plans to keep the same basic system, a system based on running with C.J.

Yes, San Fran has Gore, and a solid young OL and receiving core, but plans to implement a whole new system, one no one knows, not even the new Qb.

I think Mallett in Tenn. would work very, very well.

Coachnorm

The Dolphins were reportedly impressed by Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett during a recent trip to Fayetteville and may end up spending more time with him than any other prospect. Mallett is due to visit Dolphins headquarters Thursday and Friday, which will bring up to speed with TCU's Andy Dalton, who has met privately with Miami twice already. The Dolphins have also spent time with Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, Ricky Stanzi, and Colin Kaepernick. It's worth noting that NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora and beat writer Omar Kelly both consider Miami "highly unlikely" to draft Mallett.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Miami is definitly looking to draft a QB. And they have looked at every big name QB but Locker. And who the hell is Stanzi?

Phicinfan

Administrator
Miami is definitly looking to draft a QB. And they have looked at every big name QB but Locker. And who the hell is Stanzi?

Qb from Iowa I believe, he is getting some love for a later round pick now.