Rookie Of The Year/ Jeff Otah?

Coachnorm

We all know that these Rookie of the year and MVP player awards are a bit of a beauty contest. Those who get the headlines reap the awards.

Here is a guy who deserves a closer look. Panthers Rookie Right Tackle on Offense Jeff Otah has been a difference maker as a rookie.

It is no accident that The Panthers were the NFL's most effective team running off right tackle in 2008. Only a handful of rookies had as big a first-year impact as Panthers RT Jeff Otah. Consider also that Carolina doesn't have a standout blocking tight end, so it isn't like Otah was getting great help on the strong side. He's 336 pounds of pure power and will pancake the guy across him just as soon as look at him. If you owned Panther RBs on your Fantasy team this year you owe him a vote of thanks.

Offensive lineman often get overlooked but if you look at Rookie O Lineman like Otah and Jake Long for the Dolphins they could have a big impact.
Maybe you should get a little more excited when your team drafts a top O-Line prospect.

Just a bit of an observation. Do the old coach a favor and watch Otah just for a little bit in his game against the Cardinals this weekend. He is #79 on the right hand side of the Offensive line for the Panthers.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Don't forget Clady. Has a rookie left tackle ever started all 16 games and allowed so few tackles?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm with ya Norm, they will never win the glamor awards, but linemen are extremely important on most turn around and get over looked. DWill and Stewart get all the media attention, but it's all possible due to the increased play of the oline and Otah is a big reason why.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Absolutely! Bringing in Otah allowed Carolina to shift Wharton to Guard and move the other Tackle to LOT. It is one reason the line was so dominant later in the season once all were healthy and gelled. He and Clady both were solid rookies that really, reallly helped their team.

Coachnorm

Don't forget Clady. Has a rookie left tackle ever started all 16 games and allowed so few tackles?

Exactly, Ryan Clady is another O-lineman that had a great year as a rookie. A Boise State product that played high school in California he did an outstanding job for Denver this year. He was the other bookend to Otah when it comes to rookie O-Lineman, playing the left side Tackle for the Broncos he was a wall protecting his QB QB Jay Cutler powered my money league team into the playoffs and that never would have happened without the outstanding play of Clady. I didn't mean to slight anyone here, I just picked Otah because he plays next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i agree completely with both the otah and clady love. both of those guys were outstanding, and dont think for a second that its a coincidence seeing the improvement on both of those squads.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I didn't mean to slight anyone here, I just picked Otah because he plays next weekend.

Oh I know you didn't. Otah played exactly like I thought he would, and was hoping the Broncos would draft him. Clady was actually a pleasant surprise but Otah was the one that lived up to my expectations.

Coachnorm

i agree completely with both the otah and clady love. both of those guys were outstanding, and dont think for a second that its a coincidence seeing the improvement on both of those squads.

Exactly Bomb, If your team drats a top O-lineman the gallery at the draft may groan but You should have a secret smile on your face. :)

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Exactly Bomb, If your team drats a top O-lineman the gallery at the draft may groan but You should have a secret smile on your face. :)
It all starts upfront. OL & DL.....if that was the entire Bengals draft this year I'd be happy as hell.

Coachnorm

It all starts upfront. OL & DL.....if that was the entire Bengals draft this year I'd be happy as hell.

It can happen quickly in todays NFL. Pick up one good FA and draft a rookie high and Bamm, big OL improvement. Do the same thing on the other side of the ball and lookit what you have done. On the defensive side it is even easier. You can get one impact pass rusher and a shutdown corner and it is a nice upgrade on D. The two players complement each other more sacks/pressure lead to better coverage. Better coverage leads to more sacks/pressure. Of Course, that doesn't fix all your problems as running teams will still be able to plow you. So switch to a 3-4 and get a big guy to plug up that middle. Or a 4-3 with a really tough cookie at middle linebacker. With a balance of Free Agency and a good draft combined a team can really improve fast in this league.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
It wasn't a surprise to learn that Carolina had the number one run blocking o-line in the game. I thought Tenn may have been number one but it would make sense to think that Carolina would come out on top.

Miller and I are in perfect agreement. It all starts with the guys up front on both sides....and the Bengals suck.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
I refuse to acknowledge any of Jeff Otah's talents or accomplishments because the Eagles traded Carolina the draft pick they used to get him. Plus my brother is a Panthers fan and I don't wanna hear it.

People can talk about how Otah is great etc. but I'll just close my eyes and yell "Nahnahnah I CANT HEAR YOU!"

Arctic Dawgs

How many times have I spouted off about Seattle needing Oline, RB, and TE in last years draft.

Dline is very important, but they cannot move the chains. Best way to help a 1/2 descent D is move the chains, give them rest, and a longer field to defend. Not moving the chains just puts way too much strain on the D

Seattle went DE, TE. You think they were bad this year. Wait until next year

:sadbanana:

Last edited by a moderator: