Refs determine outcome of MNF

JScott

Administrator
Something needs to happen. The product is becoming the Refs and not the game. The Lions got screwed in that game. The flag when the defender was going for the INT, and the TWO hands to the face penalties which clearly weren't, one of which extended the drive (TD) that I remember. Not sure of the other. Those are the ones that stand out to me. I'm sure there were missed calls the other way but nothing that egregious or that aided DET the same way.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Alot of this could be solved by the eye in the sky ref that Canadian football has, so you can get even more clear views

JScott

Administrator
Is that a ref viewing real-time through that camera and can make calls or only on replay/reviews?

I'm not sure it's the camera angle/views that are the issue in the NFL. Those are good because the whole audience can see what happens, which is what's causing the uproar, since the refs can't act on those views except for certain reviewable cases. And even most of those aren't being called correctly because it has to be an egregious missed call to overturn, not simply a penalty to overturn.

What a cluster fuck.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Is that a ref viewing real-time through that camera and can make calls or only on replay/reviews?

I'm not sure it's the camera angle/views that are the issue in the NFL. Those are good because the whole audience can see what happens, which is what's causing the uproar, since the refs can't act on those views except for certain reviewable cases. And even most of those aren't being called correctly because it has to be an egregious missed call to overturn, not simply a penalty to overturn.

What a cluster fuck.
Literally it is a seperate official that has all views including overhead to clearly see what issues are. I would add that if the officials could use the views the TV networks have, and the zoon technology that networks use, would also help this process. Huge misses in each area.

JScott

Administrator
Yeah, a live robo-ref would definitely help. No added time for discussing after on replay. Chimes in over the headsets I assume real-time with the other refs.

Remote Controller

Better make it AI because we will never be satisfied with subjective human involvement. We've got people hollering for less flags and the way it used to be and we have people hollering to review everything. The real problem is the Brain drain, as at least 6 top officials now either work in the booth or a NFL studio. Posh well paying jobs. Hell Rivera hired a vet ref just to make his challenge decisions for him. The ones that are left are catching up and getting mixed signals from New York. Brady speaks out one Thursday night and flags thrown dropped by 35% that Sunday and Monday. You know New York City came all over themselves to aid Lord Brady. Then New York told the Refs that they were not gonna over rule anything a few weeks back. These poor new comers haven't a prayer. The eye in the sky would be better than what we're getting but then every single thing needs to be under that purview and do we have the 7 people available to be that person in 7 different places weekly??? AI..........just as with the strike zone, and foul ball calls would solve everything we let it solve. I don't know if I have those 5 hours available to view a game. That last drive in KC was hideous to watch, as was Mahomes seeing a flag and taking a shot because of it, only to have the flag mishandled....picked up, and him receiving his first INT. I don't know what we can do in the era of new visual technologies. Back in the day when the cameras weren't this high tech and few and far between we didn't see mistakes. Now.....just like social media....everything is seen and heard.

Last edited:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
As a Saint's fan that has been on the wrong end of bad calls for several games of late I feel sorry for the Lions. Booger was giving the Refs fits and I'm glad the league admitted at least one mistake since there were 3 obvious ones. What else do you expect when you go to Green Bay? It's just like plying the Pats at home. The visiting team has a high chance of getting screwed by the Refs. Oil well...

Arctic Dawgs

LOL, a bit extreme but ya. I once had to fire 2 pipefitters to bring 150 into line. It works

Good to see you again Sarge