Pre-draft News thread

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
updates:
Tremaine Brock Cb has signed with Arizona
rb C.J. Anderson has signed with Detroit
Rb Duke Johnson Cle has requested a trade - he has not shown up for voluntary work outs.....supposedly Philly, Jets and Houston
Browns trade Emmanuel Ogbah to KC for S Eric Murray
Jags has agreed to terms with Rb Alfred Blue formerly of Houston

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
If Duke heads to the Eagles they would not have a need for Sproles.

Jags running a Tiger backfield now.

Good pickup by the Lions.

Phicinfan

Administrator
AAF is about to fold, can't afford it.
Meanwhile - Vince McMahon has sold $272 million in WWE stock - to fund his XFL again.

Last edited by a moderator:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
As I understand it, as of a week ago, the biggest problem is they've been unable to finalize a deal with the NFL that would make players that have signed "futures agreements" with a club available to play in the AAF which was supposedly agreed to some time back.

Phicinfan

Administrator
As I understand it, as of a week ago, the biggest problem is they've been unable to finalize a deal with the NFL that would make players that have signed "futures agreements" with a club available to play in the AAF which was supposedly agreed to some time back.
that and the fact that the major contributor Tom Dundon has pulled out all funding. Someone else could step up and fund, but I doubt it will happen.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
that and the fact that the major contributor Tom Dundon has pulled out all funding. Someone else could step up and fund, but I doubt it will happen.

What I read said he pulled the funding due to their not getting a deal done for the "futures" players. Six of one and half a dozen of another I guess. Too bad though because it was fun.

Phicinfan

Administrator
lets update some more.....
Bills sign former Titans OG Quinton Spain - still upgrading the OL
Evidently Carr does not like Chucky looking at other young Qbs.....
Saints re-signed Cb P.J. Williams
Colts claimed former Browns S Derrick Kindred
Russell Wilson wants a new deal BEFORE pre-season or won't negotiate - gave an April 15 deadline
Texans S Andre Hal is retiring

Phicinfan

Administrator
In the no kidding category - Arizona now is stating if they don't get a really, really good deal for Rosen, they will potentially keep both Qbs if they draft Murray at #1. Both will be cheap, and gives them some real security.

Now, thinking who is still out there and will desperately need a Qb, I am betting someone will kick in a first for Rosen, so far best offer for him was a 2nd rounder.

efactor

Coming at you
In the no kidding category - Arizona now is stating if they don't get a really, really good deal for Rosen, they will potentially keep both Qbs if they draft Murray at #1. Both will be cheap, and gives them some real security.

Now, thinking who is still out there and will desperately need a Qb, I am betting someone will kick in a first for Rosen, so far best offer for him was a 2nd rounder.

I could see a team flipping a 1st, but depending on where in the first they are, they would need a 2nd or 3rd back.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I could see a team flipping a 1st, but depending on where in the first they are, they would need a 2nd or 3rd back.
No way Arizona gives up that much. I would expect them to ask for at least a late first, and maybe flip a 4th rounder or so back at most. Per them, they can easily afford to keep both.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Want to follow up more on Wilson in Seattle. Evidently they are looking at his salary as a set percentage of the cap each year....and what effect that will have on rest of team. If he is not signed before 15th deadline, most feel he will work the one year deal plan that Cousins did, either by being tagged, or signing one year deals.
He has already stated he won't hold out or miss camp.

efactor

Coming at you
They are not going to keep both. That’s just talk. If Murray beat out Rosen, Rosens value would plummet. Now is the time to move him because of the perception that his crappy rookie year was due to a bad situation, and maybe it was.

They will not get a first unless they kick back a 2nd or 3rd.

Of course, they might take Bosa or trade the pick. 3 weeks is a lot of time

Phicinfan

Administrator
They are not going to keep both. That’s just talk. If Murray beat out Rosen, Rosens value would plummet. Now is the time to move him because of the perception that his crappy rookie year was due to a bad situation, and maybe it was.

They will not get a first unless they kick back a 2nd or 3rd.

Of course, they might take Bosa or trade the pick. 3 weeks is a lot of time
Here again is where we disagree. They have already been offered a 2nd round pick straight up. If the Qbs fall quickly teams like Washington and some others may be willing to give up a later 1st round pick to get a more "veteren" young Qb to work with. Some experts still have Rosen rated higher than Stock and other rookie Qbs coming out.

They CAN keep both, as some I bet are not sold Murray will survive with his size. To have a Rosen who is basically dirt cheap for a Qb as back up isn't that silly

Phicinfan

Administrator
More updates - Raiders have signed Wr Ryan Grant, and have subsequently cut Seth Roberts Wr

Walter34

Keeping both is better than trading for less value. I don't see his value plummeting necessarily. Better to be patient here. I also think the Giants or someone will give them a decent price. If not a 1st then maybe a 2nd and 3rd for Rosen. They are doing the right thing in not panicking and jumping at a lower offer now.

How sure are they to be after Murray? Have we heard this from Ari or just from the media speculating?

cctekguy

Staff member
In my opinion, they should trade their first round pick (or at least spend it more wisely) and keep Rosen.

Let some other team suffer through Murray's inability to transition to the pros.

Rosen was also a 1st round pick that was thrown to the wolves behind a dismal offensive line.

Instead of fixing the O-Line, I guess Kingsbury finds it easier to have a QB that can dance around the missed blocks.

efactor

Coming at you
Here again is where we disagree. They have already been offered a 2nd round pick straight up. If the Qbs fall quickly teams like Washington and some others may be willing to give up a later 1st round pick to get a more "veteren" young Qb to work with. Some experts still have Rosen rated higher than Stock and other rookie Qbs coming out.

They CAN keep both, as some I bet are not sold Murray will survive with his size. To have a Rosen who is basically dirt cheap for a Qb as back up isn't that silly

If you have any doubts that Murray will fail or not survive because of his size, why the hell are you taking him #1 overall, especially after moving up to take Rosen #10 last year?

They have been offered 2nds because his value isn't a straight up 1st right now. That may change of course, but I still think to get a 1st, they are going to have to kick back a 2nd or 3rd depending on where the first is. For example, IF (and that's a big IF), a team like the Jags may be willing to give up #7 if they get the Cards first pick in the 2nd, but they're not giving up #7 straight up. Washington may give 17 for Rosen and a 3rd. Maybe NE at 32 would give a straight 1st, but only teams at the very end of the round will not want something back.

I'm not buying the Cards taking Murray. I still expect a trade or Bosa. Will be interesting for my Niners if AZ takes Bosa to see what kind of trade offers come their way.

Phicinfan

Administrator
After playing with their food, Minnesota has signed Sean Mannion as back up QB
Per PFT - Browns move to get OBJ was due to the fact that San Fran was talking trade but would NOT give up the #2 pick, so Cleveland swooped in and offered their first and more.
Some are getting nervous as there is no real movement in the Qb talks with Russel Wilson and Seattle
Dallas signed DeMarcus Lawrence to a long term deal - and he promptly scheduled his shoulder surgery once he signed....
big surprise - Bengals have released Rb Mark Walton - after three arrests...
Some speculation we could see 5 first round Qbs this year - those being - K. Murray, D. Haskins, D. Lock, D. Jones(from duke), and the fifth is up in the air....