Plaxico Burress vs. Terrell Owens

Mike

Administrator
Ok, MMA, Owens kicks his ass, let's just get that out of the way.....

On to the point of the thread.

Terrell Owens has been getting hammered for skipping workouts that he isn't being paid to attend.

Plaxico Burress, who has not only been a jackass on multiple teams now, has not simply skipped out on voluntary workouts, he has went to the extremes of "shooting himself" to get out of a season last year, and quite possibly a season this year.

But for some reason, the Giants appear ready to accept this guy back with "open arms".

Explain this to me. New York, particularly the Giants, is the NFL's biggest media market. So little has been said about this guy that it makes me sick. If this guy's stupid ass antics had happend to 85 in Cincy, or 81 in Dallas, we would have pages and pages of rants to atttack these guys and blast the hell out of them.

Why? because it would be led by the media. Fans follow the media like sheep at times.

Burress has been a jerk his entire career, but he has played for the Steelers, a team respected by much of America (outside of Dallas because we know they suck) and New York, where the media is harsh but seems to protect their players.

Just putting things in perspective.....

Remote Controller

I see Burress as a horrible cancer, even worse than Owens, and CJ, but that does not make their act any better. They are still cancer.

Runnik's Hambones

I see Burress as a horrible cancer, even worse than Owens, and CJ, but that does not make their act any better. They are still cancer.

Maybe Plax is worse than Owens and CJ, I tend to disagree however. How about the fact that Owens and CJ don't have a ring? Plax made it to the SB with a QB that was questioned since he joined the league, starting off as a baby, and practically no other WR core. Even Shockey was out.

Owens made it to the SB, and his team blew it. I tend to beleive he had something to do with that. He's never gotten that close since. CJ hasn't been close either.

I'd take Plax, at least based on that, than either of the other two.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
To be clear, I think you can put T.O., Burress, Marshall and OchoStinko all together and flush the lot of them. Two of them do nothing but put self first, and damn the team, the other two are just too stupid to learn that playing in the NFL is a priveledge...and that by abusing status or being stupid off field will kill that chance.

but I wouldn't want any of them on my team.

Phicinfan

Administrator
But there is almost zero talk about Burress, explain that.
Quite honestly, I think most feel the court system will resolve the issue. If he is in jail...no need to talk about a team signing his lame ass.

Mike

Administrator
Owens made it to the SB, and his team blew it. I tend to beleive he had something to do with that.

Two things happened in that Super Bowl.

McNabb crapped out and was spent by halftime. Reid, as usual, had no ability to adjust to anything.

Runnik's Hambones

While I agree that I wouldn't want any of them on my team, the question is more, which one would you rather have, I think. If I had to choose between any of them, I'd go Buress. However, I think we'd all agree we'd rather have an Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz or Anquan Boldin on our sqaud. But that's not the question.

Mike

Administrator
Quite honestly, I think most feel the court system will resolve the issue. If he is in jail...no need to talk about a team signing his lame ass.

No, that is crap! First off, he is killing his team, and he should be ripped for it regardless what the legal system is doing (instead, more talk is mad about when he can get back to his team). 2nd, if Owens shot himself in the leg today, we would rant about it for the next 4 years!

Remote Controller

Maybe Plax is worse than Owens and CJ, I tend to disagree however. How about the fact that Owens and CJ don't have a ring? Plax made it to the SB with a QB that was questioned since he joined the league, starting off as a baby, and practically no other WR core. Even Shockey was out.

Owens made it to the SB, and his team blew it. I tend to beleive he had something to do with that. He's never gotten that close since. CJ hasn't been close either.

I'd take Plax, at least based on that, than either of the other two.
Burress compounds being a cancer with being a criminal thug. I can't see him avoiding trouble. TO and CJ just don't get it, and never will, but are not criminals.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Do you honestly think that Owens had absolutely no hand in them loosing?
I agree with Mike. All T.O. did was come back early from a major ankle issue or leg issue, and have one heck of a game. T.O. didn't lose that game, the play calling and lack of clock control did it. Mcnabb did seem to really lose steam in the 4th quarter as well.

Mike

Administrator
Do you honestly think that Owens had absolutely no hand in them loosing?

Owens damn year single handedly kept them in that game. Dude was running free down the sidelines on plays where McNabb was back in the pocket lost and disoriented.

You can't, in no way, find a fault in Owens for that game. The guy came back from a broken leg, in record time, and was outperforming the entire offense.

Remote Controller

But there is almost zero talk about Burress, explain that.
Even if I could, or made up some neat little story here. That does not change one thing i have said about TO. I do not buy that the press is assinating his character. He has staged waaaaaaaay too many events, and is getting the coverage he craves.

Phicinfan

Administrator
No, that is crap! First off, he is killing his team, and he should be ripped for it regardless what the legal system is doing (instead, more talk is mad about when he can get back to his team). 2nd, if Owens shot himself in the leg today, we would rant about it for the next 4 years!
It isn't crap.

Burress is a cry baby. But all he did was hurt himself. I am betting the team is planning a stratagy to replace and go without Burress. Thus all the talk of trade with Cleveland for Edwards.

Should I rip Burress like T.O.? Fine, but the only reason I continue to rip on T.O. is there are alot of folks like yourself that continue to defend him. It is NEVER his fault. I have seen no one here defending Burress at all.

Mike

Administrator
Even if I could, or made up some neat little story here. That does not change one thing i have said about TO. I do not buy that the press is assinating his character. He has staged waaaaaaaay too many events, and is getting the coverage he craves.

The fact that you have little to nothing to say about Burress tells me different. The guy has been protected by the New York media, and that has flowed down to the NFL fanbase. it always works like that.

Runnik's Hambones

McNabb threw for over 350 yards, 3 TDs and 3 INTs, but the guy threw the ball 51 times. Also, he was sacked 4 times, and, Westbrook was held to 44 yards rushing. I think this had more to do with the fact that NE had a damn good defense than McNabb choking.

If I remember correctly, that was one of the best SBs I had seen. It came down the wire. Harrison picked off McNabb with 46 seconds left.

While I agree that Owens didn't play poorly during that game: 9 rec, 122 yards, I'm not prepared to say McNabb choked.

In the end, I still pick Plax if I had to pick TO or Burress.

Mike

Administrator
McNabb might not have been sacked as many times if his arm could have gotten the ball to T.O. ;)

McNabb was spent during most of the 2nd half of that game. If you go back and watch, you will see. Dude had nothing in the tank, and I feel it was mostly because he spent the first half trying to be a freaking hero, and it screwed the team.

Bayton

Even being in the media market that NY is, Burress has never played his antics out to the press. He has never done crunches in his front yard, raced a horse on tv, show boat on every single td reception with a premeditated celebration, cause controversy that involves his teammates and coaches directly, and there is so much more that 85 and Terrell do that Burress does not. Burress is quite the self absorbed imature player he is made out to be. Now, this is and always will be the main difference, he doesnt seek out attention and enjoy the media spotlight the way the other 2 do. Remember when Plax was benched last year for missed practices or w/e, he didn't whine about it, atleast not publicly like you KNOW Terrell and 85 would do. Plax is introverted and Terrell and 85 are obvious extroverts.

As far as why there isnt more press about Plax, I dont think there needs to be more. The situation is simple, hes screwed up and will and has paid for it every step of the way. Until he matures and begins to trust others to help him, there isn't anything else to report.

Another difference is that Terrell and 85 are not adequately disciplined by their teams. Lewis does get 85 some grief and Terrell has not been benched, from recolection, due to his rediculous antics. Plaxico has been disciplined every step of the way(40-50 fines before the benching). I would not want Terrell on my team, 85 I would be ok with, and Plax I could stand if my team despretely needed a WR(just like the Giants).

Criminal or not, it wasnt a crime out of anger, violence or the intention of pain inflicted on another. It's like speeding tickets. The law is put in place to protect the greater good and ourselves from ourselves. The main issue is that it was an unregistered gun, not that he brought it into the night club.

Mike

Administrator
He shot himself with it, and screwed his team over more than Owens and Cinco combined have ever dreamed of! and he has been a jerk leading up to that point since he came into the NFL!

Burress was being blasted for his antics while in Pittsburgh, but when he got to New York, the media quickly lightened up on him.

It Terrell Owens took a gun into a Dallas Night club and shot himself in the leg, the coverage about it, and the ripping would be non freaking stop!