OUch! BYU upsets #3 Oklahoma

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Jerry Jones opened his mega palace to the college football world Saturday night. There was pomp, circumstance, flair, and a gigantic video board.

Then BYU slayed the king.

In the biggest victory for the Brigham Young program in the last 15 years, #20 BYU took out reigning Heisman winner Sam Bradford and stunned #3 Oklahoma 14-13 Saturday night in Dallas.

Breaking in 4 new WRs and a retooled offensive line, OU still expected to ride a suffocating defense, record setting spread offense, and the arm of Bradford to an early season win. BYU came into the game without their best player, RB Harvey Unga, who still is suffering from a hamstring injury.

BYU blew an opportunity to tie the game up at 7 with a fumble by Unga's replacement at the BYU 1 in the second QTR. Still, the Cougar defense, much maligned in losses to TCU, Utah, and Arizona last year stood firm against the Sooners. Oklahoma was without all world TE Jermaine Gresham, but still expected to dominate.

Bradford was taken out of the game toward the end of the second QTR after being driven to the turf by a BYU defender. X Rays were negative but the injury was to his throwing shoulder.

From there on in OU could still move, but made mistake after mistake when given chances to but BYU away. Cougar QB Max Hall and TE Dennis Pitta made play after play after play in a Sooner killing drive in the 4th QTR which took over 8 minutes off the clock, ending when OU quadruple covered Pitta, allowing Hall to hit WR McKay Jacobsen for the winning TD.

Still, OU had a chance when BYU inexplicably nailed the kick off out of bounds, giving Oklahoma 1st and 10 at their own 40 with 3:03 left. After two botched passes, OU moved into BYU territory on a critical 3rd down completion by backup QB Landry Jones. With around 1:30 to go, OU was within 7 yards of the career long range of kicker Jimmy Stevens when the clock struck midnight. Oklahoma could move the ball no further, including a damning delay of game penalty. OU front man Bob Stoops sent out P Tress Way for a 54 yard FG attempt that went short and wide. Hall and the Cougars ran out the clock to turn the college world on its ear in week 1 and send the Sooners out of the top 10.

Would Bradford have made a difference? Maybe, but rest assured BYU leads this game at least 14-7 at the half with Unga. College football is a team sport, a team effort, and on this night the BYU wanted it more. Hats off to the Cougars.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I was dead wrong on this one, but I am going to claim the Bradford excuse, but it really doesn't matter, I just flat sucked this weekend.

Oklahoma played some of the game without Sam, BYU played the entire game without Unga. Stoops has to be pissed about being scheduled to play in Texas an extra game this year.

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
With Idaho St and Tulsa next, backup QB Landry Jones need to learn to settle down and OU should have no problems. Plenty of time for Bradford to heal up before the Miami game. Oklahoma not out of it yet..

Mike

Administrator
Nothing better then watching the overrated Stoops and overrated OU getting slapped around.

Great job leaving the endzone wide open in the 4th quarter for BYU.

DearbornDolfan

With Idaho St and Tulsa next, backup QB Landry Jones need to learn to settle down and OU should have no problems. Plenty of time for Bradford to heal up before the Miami game. Oklahoma not out of it yet..

I wouldn't bet on OU being able to shut down Tulsa. Tulsa could teach a hell of a lot to OU about running a spread offense and if OU's D couldn't handle BYU's West Coast, they're in for a world of hurt against Tulsa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Administrator
Would Bradford have made a difference?

Doubt it. Bradford isn't responsible for leaving the endzone wide open in the 4th quarter.

This is a team that never should have been given a shot at the title last year, and I find it laughable that they were ranked so high going into this season. I have never seen a team be so overrated year after year like this.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I agree , Toledo could be problematic for Oklahoma . Toledo has already proven this year to be taken seriously and you better come ready to play or they will beat you. I'll be pulling for Toledo in that game, if Oklahoma loses that, then there BCS bowl game hopes should be gone.