NFL - Quarterback review - mid 2020 season - already preparing for draft?

Walter34

efactor - what do you think of Jimmy G moving forward? Still potential to be top 15 or better or journeyman?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
efactor - what do you think of Jimmy G moving forward? Still potential to be top 15 or better or journeyman?
I don't see any way Jimmy starts all year. He will either...
1) stay in San Fran - and start first part of season, then lose spot once injured or struggles and then be on the bench
2) get traded or released, and go somewhere and be back up or get hurt playing there.

Net he has only had one season he has made it through. Which is a shame as he can be pretty darn good.

efactor

Coming at you
As far as life in SF, depends on how ready they think Fields is to step right in (Fields will be the pick assuming Jets take Wilson). SF has a team that can go deep into the playoffs, so they won’t rush Fields. But at the same time, they paid a lot to move up to grab him because of the pure talent, so if he’s ready, they will roll with him.

Jimmy is a good QB when healthy and he wins. 22-6 as a starter in SF, including 5-0 in 2017 with a brutally bad team around him. He has been “injury prone” but a lot of players in the NFL are until they’re not. The ACL in 2018 was kind of a freak injury and then he tried to come back too soon last year and made it worse. Frank Gore was injury prone for a few years after suffering 2 ACL tears in college. He hasn't missed a game in 10 years or so due to injury. Hopefully, Jimmy's luck turns in that area.

Possible they trade him during draft weekend as well. His value will be highest then to a team that isn’t able to land one of the top 5 QBs. I can’t see NE truly rolling with Cam if they don’t draft a QB.

If he does start the whole year in SF, I can see a year similar or slightly better year than 2019. He has better receivers with Aiyuk being an upgrade over Sanders. I still think they sign another veteran receiver (Golden Tate) as well. 4300 yards and 25 plus TDs range.

Guy gets a lot of grief because of his occasional meathead decisions that result in ugly picks, but he bounces back. Doesn’t lack confidence. Just needs some luck on the injury front.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
NYJ - sending QBs Sam Darnold to Carolina for a 2021 6th rd pick and 2022 2nd and 4th rd picks

efactor

Coming at you
NYJ - sending QBs Sam Darnold to Carolina for a 2021 6th rd pick and 2022 2nd and 4th rd picks
That's a lot to give up for a back-up QB, so looks like he will be the starter. They also picked up his 5th year option

Moore, Anderson and McCaffrey are a definite upgrade. Should be a good back-up in a large league

Phicinfan

Administrator
That's a lot to give up for a back-up QB, so looks like he will be the starter. They also picked up his 5th year option

Moore, Anderson and McCaffrey are a definite upgrade. Should be a good back-up in a large league
Okay really? A 6th and 2nd and 4 th next year is too high? Have you seen the QB market this year? Plus they will get a mid to late round pick for Bridgewater and still could draft a QB this year

efactor

Coming at you
Okay really? A 6th and 2nd and 4 th next year is too high? Have you seen the QB market this year? Plus they will get a mid to late round pick for Bridgewater and still could draft a QB this year
Obviously, you didn't digest my post

I said that's a lot to give up for a back-up QB, so looks like he will be the starter. Meaning any talk about him competing with Bridgewater for the starting job is nonsensical.

Didn't say the price was too high for a starter

Phicinfan

Administrator
Obviously, you didn't digest my post

I said that's a lot to give up for a back-up QB, so looks like he will be the starter. Meaning any talk about him competing with Bridgewater for the starting job is nonsensical.

Didn't say the price was too high for a starter
Ah my mistake, sorry. I wonder who reaches for Bridgewater. Denver seems a good fit.

Phicinfan

Administrator
1 month left til the draft - lets see where we are after the latest moves....

AFC:
East:
Bills
- No - Josh Allen
Patriots - YES - Yes, they resigned Cam - 1 year. He is NOT the answer - they have something in mind IMO.
Jets - Yes - With the trade of Darnold to Carolina, we now know they are taking a Qb at #2 - Welcome to NY Zach Wilson
Dolphins
- No - Tua is the Qb
North:
Steelers
- Maybe - Ben is back on a 1 year deal basically. Need Qb of future this year or next.
Ravens - No - Lamar Jackson
Browns - No - Baker Mayfield
Bengals - No - Joe Burrow
South:
Titans
- No - Ryan Tannehill
Colts - No- Carson Wentz is the Qb. This may mean someone's job.
Texans - ??? - They could be screwed here, depending on legal issues with Watson
Jaguars - YES - Welcome to the NFL Trevor Lawrence
West:
Chiefs
- No - Patrick Mahomes
Raiders - No - Derek Carr
Broncos - Maybe - Drew Lock - but look for a Qb to be drafted, or maybe a trade to get Bridgewater
Chargers - No - Justin Herbert

NFC:
East:
Football Team
- Maybe- This year will be Fitzpatrick. Next year though?
Giants - No - prove it year for Daniel Jones
Eagles - No - Jalen Hurts
Cowboys - No - Dak Prescott
North:
Packers
- No - Aaron Rodgers
Bears - Maybe- Andy Dalton is starter, but would not be shocked to see them move up to get another Qb
Vikings - No - Kirk Cousins
Lions - No - Jarod Goff - they need tools for him to use, not drafting another younger Qb
South:
Saints
- No - Taysom Hill or Jameis Winston
Buccaneers - No - Tom Brady
Falcons - Maybe - Matt Ryan is in, with 2 years left on deal, but GM is pushing to draft a young Qb
Panthers - No - Traded to get Sam Darnold, and activated his option year next year. but would not be shocked if they drafted one this year as well.
West:
Seahawks
- No - Russell Wilson - Not this year.......
Rams - No - Matthew Stafford
Cardinals - No - Kyler Murray
49ers - Yes - Traded 3 first round picks to move up and draft a Qb. The only question is do they keep Garoppolo for starting this year or not.

FA Qbs are : None really left

Qbs in draft
Trevor Lawrence Clemson - Jaguars
Zach Wilson BYU - Jets
Justin Fields Ohio State
Trey Lance North Dakota State
Mac Jones Alabama
Kyle Trask Florida

So here is the deal. You can lock and load 3 Qbs in the first 3 picks. Per sources, we could see as many as 4 Qb in top 5 and 5 Qbs in top ten. That is a whole lot of movement. Plus some teams will jump in the 2nd or 3rd round for Trask or Mond