NFL News, Rumors, In/Out - Start of NFL Training camps

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
So summer training camp has begun, and its time to start a new thread....

NE - JuJu Smith-Schuster says his knee is ready to go for start of camp
RBs - there are quite a few upset RBs over the lack of big contracts this year - Ekeler didn't get new deal, Tony Pollard got FTed and signed the FT but no long term deal, Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs both got FTed and have not signed the tag and are threatening holding out. Plus you have the salary cut by Joe Mixon to stay in Cin. Not a good market for Rbs at all in the NFL
WAS - per reports with the Post - all obstacles that could stop the sale have been fixed. Look for finance to approve by Thursday and league owners to approve sale by Friday this week per reports.
FA WR DeSean Jackson posted on twitter what some thought was a retirement message, he has since stated he is NOT ready to retire

Phicinfan

Administrator
GB - signing USFL QB Alex McGough for depth
LAR - saw some reports that team tried to trade Matthew Stafford off-season, now reports are the team reached out to Stafford to redo his deal, but he turned them down

hikeNbike

Market is terrible for rbs. It's insane to me that Waller has a 3 yr deal at 51 million and Barkley can't get anywhere close to that. Waller is a good player when healthy but Barkley at least in the short term impacts winning way more than Waller does.

I am thinking come the next collective bargaining agreement there are going to be a lot of RBs wanting to renegotiate the whole deal. We are getting to the point that RBs if they are rookies and have a big year in year 1or 2 should probably think about holding out and asking for an extension or a reworked deal to get their money. They can't afford to wait till year 3 or 4, by then thor teams consider them replaceable.

Given the wear and tear on players at that position, short careers, and lack of good pay at least relative to other positions, I don't know why top recruits to college would sign up for that. I am thinking they will start asking to play wr or defense. Also with NIL in college the best backs might get as much in college as the NFL very soon.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Market is terrible for rbs. It's insane to me that Waller has a 3 yr deal at 51 million and Barkley can't get anywhere close to that. Waller is a good player when healthy but Barkley at least in the short term impacts winning way more than Waller does.
I don't disagree, it seems unfair that there are back up Wrs making more money than leading Rbs.
I am thinking come the next collective bargaining agreement there are going to be a lot of RBs wanting to renegotiate the whole deal. We are getting to the point that RBs if they are rookies and have a big year in year 1or 2 should probably think about holding out and asking for an extension or a reworked deal to get their money. They can't afford to wait till year 3 or 4, by then thor teams consider them replaceable.
Never going to happen. The NFLPA won't allow the RBs to take leverage away from their cash cows - QBs and Rush ends. It just won't happen. The sad part is, the position is the issue. RBs shelf life is usually about 5 years. Or it it lengthens its cause teams don't rely one just one RB. So net the worth of the position doesn't carry weight. Watch TEs end up this way as well soon, as while they last longer, they are also easier to get later in drafts.
Given the wear and tear on players at that position, short careers, and lack of good pay at least relative to other positions, I don't know why top recruits to college would sign up for that. I am thinking they will start asking to play wr or defense. Also with NIL in college the best backs might get as much in college as the NFL very soon.
Good question. I don't disagree. But then again, if you have a running back's build, you probably aren't tall enough to be a top Wr or TE, so where else will you play? DB?

Phicinfan

Administrator
NYG - formally place LB Jarrad Davis on IR - out for season. Waived with injury DB Leonard Johnson and signed FA DB Darren Evans
NYJ - say they will not be as cooperative as other teams in the past with Hard Knocks. Oh good grief just get over it already....
DAL - so Dak Prescott went on a rant and said he won't have many INTs this year, but now team is saying he was misquoted and he won't have as many tipped INTs this year - uh...wow great confidence in the guy there.... you just can't make this stuff up...
SF - placed DB Darrell Luter Jr on active/PUP list
NO - placed WR Shaquan Davis, RB Kendre Miller and WR A.T. Perry on NFI list
KC - reports out that Isaiah Pacheco may end up on PUP list to start camp - shoulder injury and hand injury, also placed DL Tershawn Wharton on PUP list
KC - Reid also stated he has no idea if Chris Jones will be showing up to camp on time - looking for new deal
TEN - Prosecution dropped all charges against Rashad Weaver - decided not to prosecute
NE - are now leading betting favorite to sign Dalvin Cook - WHY??? cause they didn't sign Hopkins??
MIA - placed DB Ethan Bonner on NFI list, and LB Zeke Vandenburgh on IR

Phicinfan

Administrator
CLE - browns have waived DL Perrion Winfrey due to an off-field issue with threatening a woman
PIT - Steelers has signed Alex Highsmith to a 5 year extension
DAL - OL Zach Martin is threatening to hold out due to his current contract - oh good grief

Walter34

I feel bad for RBs. Imo they are the best athletes on the field. But the market is over saturated with able replacements and like others have said, their shelf life is about as long as the rookie contract. I loved David Montgomery, but the smart move was to let him go and replace him with a 4th rounder. Detroit overpaid for him when they could have just kept jamaal. Then they over-drafted Gibbs. 🤪

Phicinfan

Administrator
WAS/NFL - Owners meeting today to approve the sale
DET/NYJ - reports out that Jets are sending WR Denzel Mims and a 2025 7th round pick to Lions for a conditional 2024 draft pick
PHI - sign FA OT Dennis Kelly
BAL - place OL Andrew Vorhees on NFI list
LAC - place rookie WR Pokey Wilson on NFI list
NE - have worked out RBs Leonard Fournette and Darrell Henderson
NYJ - place Breece Hall, Randall Cobb and C.J. Uzomah on PUP list
MIN - waived DB John Reid
TEN - working out FA OT George Fant
BUF - Bills announced Exec VP and Chief Operating Officer Ron Raccuia is leaving, and owner and now Chief Operating Officer Terry Pegula is taking over that roll - local sources say Raccuia was fired, not left on his own...

hikeNbike

I don't disagree, it seems unfair that there are back up Wrs making more money than leading Rbs.

Never going to happen. The NFLPA won't allow the RBs to take leverage away from their cash cows - QBs and Rush ends. It just won't happen. The sad part is, the position is the issue. RBs shelf life is usually about 5 years. Or it it lengthens its cause teams don't rely one just one RB. So net the worth of the position doesn't carry weight. Watch TEs end up this way as well soon, as while they last longer, they are also easier to get later in drafts.

Good question. I don't disagree. But then again, if you have a running back's build, you probably aren't tall enough to be a top Wr or TE, so where else will you play? DB?
Db is where I was thinking.

Phicinfan

Administrator
MIA - placed DB Nik Needham on NFI list
NO - release OL Billy Price
TEN - releases RB Chuck McClelland
NYJ/DET - trade - update - Jets sends Denzel Mims to Detroit, receive a 2025 6th round pick back IF Mims makes the 53 man roster
DET - place Hendon Hooker on NFI list
MIN - rookie WR Jordan Addison has been charged for reckless driving - going 140mph in a 50 mph zone - naughty, naughty
LVR - seeing reports the Raiders may pull the FT off of Josh Jacobs, also reports out the team and Jacobs were never close to a deal
DET - reports out Lions plan to release PK Michael Badgley - $700 thousand cap savings
KC - Isaiah Pacheco says he will be 100% by week 1
NFL owners has unanimously approved the sale of the Washington Commanders - ding dong the witch is dead

hikeNbike

Anyone envision Danny Dimes pulling up to his parking spot in his Lamborghini and parking next to Barkley's Hyundai at the practice facility after a Big win the previous week and saying hey thanks man for winning that game for us I got lunch today.

hikeNbike

Any news on Tua. If he stays healthy he could be the MVP this year. Thinking about throwing some money on him to be the MVP at +2200 on draft kings sports book. What do you think?

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Administrator
Any news on Tua. If he stays healthy he could be the MVP this year. Thinking about throwing some money on him to be the MVP at +2200 on draft kings sports book. What do you think?
By all reports he looks good so far. Key is staying healthy, which he doesn’t do well

hikeNbike

The other ones that looked good are Jalen Hurts at plus 1100 4th best odds behind Mahomes, Burrow and Allen despite possibly winning it last year before he got dinged up. Trevor Lawrence with a big leap could challenge, maybe at +1500. And the other one that stuck out to me, and I know it's a QB league, but Nick Chubb behind that online at +20000? $100 bet could pay out $20000 if that ticket hits. Loan me $100 Phicin?

Last edited:

hikeNbike

Beasley unretired again? Anyone else shocked James Robinson is 24. For some reason I thought he was around 30.