My updated personal version of the 2009 draft

jmsmith1

My revised/updated personal version of 2009 Draft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my draft choices.....based off of who I think will be available, etc. Given new additions and trades..etc.

1. Detroit – Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia - Detroit needs to solidify their lines. Its too high to take someone like BJ Raji, but an athletic and versatile lineman, or a sure bet linebacker makes all the sense in the world. That’s why Detroit wont do it. They’ll take the signal caller, over pay for him, and maybe he’ll survive his first season. Stafford affords the surest bet out of himself, Sanchez, and Freeman. There are rumblings that Jason Smith is making more sense now, but Im still suffering from the post Matt Millen taste, and I'll believe this new staff will do the right thing when I see it.

2. St. Louis – Jason Smith, OT, Baylor - With Chris Long, they grabbed a great D line prospect and have made solid moves along that front. But with the release of Orlando Pace, they need to get their LT of the future, especially if they want their cash investment in Marc Bulger to pay any dividends. Smith is a converted tight end but is extremely athletic and has all the makings of a 10 year All Pro.

3. Kansas City – Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest - I believe Kansas City GM Scott Pioli is going to do alot of the same things we saw in New England. Which is build a solid defense and find that QB gem that can be manifested into leading this team. I dont know if Matt Cassel is the answer, but I think Pioli will be salivating at lining up Curry alongside Derrick Johnson and behind Hali and Dorsey to start.

4. Washington Redskins via trade with Seattle Seahawks – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC - I dont know what the Redskins do not see in Jason Campbell, but it seems that they really covet this kid. Dan Snyder and Co. are known for being unorthodox. I expect Washington to move up and take Sanchez and then address tackle.

5. Cleveland Browns – Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech - I think that with Mangini stepping in, he will have a short leash. With all the off season acquisitions to attempt to solidify this D line, Now the Browns are shopping their best players? Quinn is quietly being shopped and its no secret that Braylon Edwards is being put on the market. I expect that even if they dont get rid of Edwards, teaming him up alongside Crabtree will be a formidable receiving duo, like Arizona. If they do trade Edwards, they've got his replacement.

6. Cincinnatti Bengals – Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia– There is no way the Bengals pass on a stud OL now. Monroe can fill a glaring weakness in the Bengals O line and give them stability to help the offense. Something they desperately need in the ultra competitive AFC North. The Been To Jails need to hit a homerun.

7. Oakland Raiders – Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri – While I wouldn’t be surprised is Al Davis actually helps his team by selecting a top OT, Maclin seems to be the best player running here. Davis loves the sexy offensive pick (see the last to years) and cant stop micromanaging his coaches. No way he’d let his former O line guru turned head coach take a lineman!

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – BJ Raji, DT, Boston College – The Jaguars are dying for help on the D line along John Henderson and they are looking to go younger and faster nearly every position. The addition of Tory Holt allows them to focus on other needs. They take the arguably the best defensive player in the draft. If Sanchez falls to #8, look for Jacksonville to trade out, likely to the Jets.

9. Green Bay Packers – Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas – A lot of boards have O line here to aid an aging OT corps, but Orakpo, with Green Bay's young stable of LBs, could use a hybrid like Orakpo, they’ll be able to pressure a lot of QBs, aiding the secondary. Orakpo could come in and command double teams along side Kampman opening up holes for young stud LB AJ Hawk.

10. San Francisco 49ers – Andre Smith, OT, Alabama – This literally seems like a match made in heaven as well. Smith is a product of his own success. Now maturity issues seem to be the needs to keep him focused and with the most pressing need at right tackle, the Niners get a quality tackle to plug in at a less vulnerable spot. Mike Singletary will keep Smith focused and maybe get the most out of him, eventually shifting him to left tackle.

11. Buffalo Bills – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – I initially thought the Bills would trade with the Falcons to get this kid, but now that Atlanta has Tony Gonzalez, I dont think Buffalo will trade at all. From what I've read and heard, the Bills love this kid and with the DE position so deep this year, they can pick one up at #28.

12. Denver Broncos – Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State – The difference between DE dropoff and the remaining ILBs is too great to ignore. Denver’s defense cost them a playoff shot and McDaniels will have to bolster a pretty weak defense before turning his eyes to the offense. The Broncos defense is hideous and McDaniels has enough to worry about trying to keep Cutler on the team. Denver’s switch to a 3-4 defense will make DE a priority as this class has some decent LBs, but DE’s are a commodity.

13. Seattle Seahawks – Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss – I think this is a slight reach for Oher, but given the need the Seahawks have to find the heir apparent to Walter Jones, he could come in and play RT for a spell and get accustomed to the speed of the NFL. The Seahawks will stockpile picks and in a move that only Arctic Dawgs could love, will continue to build the lines.

14. New Orleans Saints – Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State - The Saints need help at CB and although they have made some attempts to shore up the Jason David mess, they are still lacking. Jenkins is consistently the most technically sound CB in the draft and his speed is somewhat suspect. He’s better than anyone they’ve got right now.

15. Houston Texans – Rey Maulauga, LB, USC – The Texans just cant get solid pressure on the QB and William Moore is slipping. Maulauga is tough enough to thrive in Kubiak’s 3-4 and will be the beneficiary of a solid 08 season and will provide the Texans with what they desire most….Defensive Pressure. He’s got lingering issues regarding his hamstring injury from the combine, but he’s the top LB on the board and any safety is a reach at this point for Houston.

16. San Diego Chargers – Clay Matthews, LB, USC – With the franchise tag on Sproles, the Chargers jump on their biggest need with the best LB available and at a good value. Matthews is rated higher on some boards over Maulauga and some thing that Houston may take him instead. Matthews can come in and play alongside Merriman, giving the Chargers a very talented young combo of LBs to wreak havoc on opponent’s running games.

17. NY Jets – Percy Harvin, WR, Florida – This becomes a three way pick. Moreno, Harvin, or Wells. The Jets already have a speedster with return ability in Washington, Jones is still a question regarding his contract so I could see Wells here. Harvin will bear the “Bush” problem, too early to take someone without a clear definition of where they’ll play. Well’s speed question was answered when he ran a 4.31 at his pro day. But the versatility that Harvin brings will be too much to pass. I highly expect the Jets to move up should Sanchez slide to #8.

18. Denver Broncos – Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee - Denver got a lot for Jay Cutler and now have to begin building the 3-4 defense that they want to install. Ayers can come in and be the second bookend to this defensive scheme and likely could go higher. Ayers, alongside Jackson, give the Broncos two SEC productive defensive ends that will raise havoc on division quarterbacks.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss - Jerry is consistently sliding up draft boards, but not enough to land him in the top 15 picks. Tampa still needs help at QB, but Freeman is a huge reach here and getting the best value is here with a solid athlete that is finding his niche in Jerry. The Bucs desperetely need to shore up their D line, especially at tackle. The release of a lot of older defensive dead weight makes this a necessity.

20. Detroit Lions – Eben Britton, OT, Arizona – Detroit could go O line here, but they still have good picks left in which to grab an OT prospect. I think this could be a OT/DT battle. Jerry is a flyer on the boards and is a steal at #20. The Lions have the first pick of the 2nd round and can get a mid 1st round talent for a steal at OT, but Britton is the last of the first round worthy OTs and is too good to pass up to anchor the O line. Detroit could still get Jerry or Brace to aid a D line that just had Cory Redding traded for Julian Peterson.

21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia – The time for McNabb is now. I can see Philly attacking another WR in free agency. Again, OL could be a choice, but Moreno is a steal here and compliments Westbrook in a faster more powerful version of Correll Buckhalter. Not to mention that Moreno can hit the hole and get those yards for a first down. With Buckhalter and Westbrook gone, the Eagles have to take a RB here, but Andy Reid could very well stick to his guns and go with one of the lines first. If he does, McNabb and the Eagles will be on the sidelines come playoff time.

22. Minnesota Vikings – Alex Mack, OC, Cal – Yet another team that could push for an CB prospect, but I think they will solidify their O line first. Mack is the premiere center on the board and with the loss of Matt Birk, the Vikings need a stalwart on the line to keep AD and his running happy. Childress will address the secondary later and get great value. Some would see the Vikings taking a QB here, but I think they give the Rosenfels/Jackson situation time to develop. Besides, the QB crop in 2010 will be a lot better.

23. New England Patriots – Clint Sintim, LB, Virginia – Cushing will fall as speculation ensues that he used steroids in college. Belicheck will find himself in need of a LB only because of aging stars, but he will find himself in heaven. With an old ass LB corps that already had an upgrade last year with Jerod Mayo, Belichek adds another cog in his system with a solid LB prospect that could make Bruschi retire in a year. Sintim can play all over the field an is one of those interchangeable parts in the Patriots assembly line.

24. Atlanta Falcons – Evander Hood, DT, Missouri – The addition of Tony Gonzalez makes the Brandon Pettigrew pick non existent and sends him to the Bills at #11. But the Falcons have a pressing need at DT and fill it with a monster in Hood who will swallow up blockers.

25. Miami Dolphins – Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois – Some will say this is a stupid pick, but Parcells will take a long look at CB with the nothing across from Will Allen. Harvin would instantly provide another weapon on the offensive side and the draw of the hometown hero will fill seats. He can still land quality OL talent in later picks but Davis makes the most sense, and I think Parcells can handle any motivational issue, if it still is one.

26. Baltimore Ravens - Darrius Heyward Bey, WR, Maryland – The Ravens need to give Flacco more options in the passing game and Bey is a speedy threat that can come in and give them a shot in the arm. Being from Maryland only adds to the flavor.

27. Indianapolis Colts – Ron Brace, DT, Boston College – With the release of Marvin Harrison, it seems a sure bet that the Colts take a WR but the holes in the D line cant be ignored. Hood is a massive being and instantly helps out the front four. The Colts can address WR later in the draft and get solid value. The only way Brace doesn’t get taken here is if he gets taken later because a higher rated DT isnt selected.

28. Buffalo Bills - Michael Jonson, DE, Georgia Tech – This athletic stud could be a steal here. The Bills have dire needs in the D line and other areas but they would be reaching for too much for any of the players they could use. Johnson fills the DE need at nearly a top ten talent, but will his work ethic and attitude thrive or fall in Buffalo. They already have to worry about another attitude in TO.

29. New York Giants – Hakeem Nicks, WR, North Carolina – Granted the Giants could likely fill other needs but with Burress facing legal troubles, and no true other WR prospect worthy other than Britt, Nicks ends up being it. Getting a blue collar WR, with speed and strength that can possibly replace Burress would be a find here for the G Men.

30. Tennessee Titans – Darius Butler, CB, UConn – The Titans love speed (see Chris Johnson) and with the balanced rushing attack they have, they could look WR here. But Nate Washington was signed and will be able to stretch defense as a decoy and as a WR. He also adds return ability. The big need right now is CB where the current starters are both aging and upgrades are needed soon.

31. Arizona Cardinals – Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State – If the NFL has taught us one thing it’s that RB can be found nearly anywhere. So Wells will slide, but rather than waste this pick and reach for any other position they do the smart thing and take the best RB available, and some say in the draft, to keep the offense moving. They are still trying to resign Boldin and getting a RB that could take the pressure off the offense could help.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest – The Steelers would love to have Mack fall to them, but with Minnesota stealing their thunder, they will take the best CB on the board. It also doesn’t hurt that he is a solid character, high integrity, blue collar player.

Last edited by a moderator:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
This is very well written (as usual) and makes sense on almost every slot. The only player that sticks out is Harvin to the Jets. With the marijuana cloud (no pun intended) hanging over him, there's no way he warrants a 1st round pick, IMO. I may go DH-B in that slot and give Britt to the Ravens, and bring Nicks in this round for the Giants.

Solid work.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I agree, all in all a pretty good shot at what may happen. I have some difference of opinions...but nothing major. Nice job jmsmith1

Runnik's Hambones

24. Buffalo Bills via trade with Atlanta – Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State – How do you keep the wheel’s churning for your franchise QB that just inherited the worlds worst teammate? You give him the best athlete available and the best TE in the draft. Pettigrew could seriously be considered top 10 pick athletic talent. Bills love this kid and he'll be a star in the making.

When did Atlanta trade with the Bills?

bodey24

Staff member
I dont think they did. Atlanta has the 24th pick, and Buffalo has the 28th pick via trade with Philly.

jmsmith1

When did Atlanta trade with the Bills?

They havent traded. But I really think they will trade up to get Pettigrew. From what I read, they covet Pettigrew so much, they may take him at No. 11 and get a DE at 28. But I figured Pettigrew was a better value at 24, and that the Bills could concievably trade up to get him.

DearbornDolfan

It's a stupid pick not because it's a CB but because it's Vontae Davis. He's not a team guy, he's not disciplined, and in general he's a freaking headcase. The Fins will take Darius Butler there.

Runnik's Hambones

They havent traded. But I really think they will trade up to get Pettigrew. From what I read, they covet Pettigrew so much, they may take him at No. 11 and get a DE at 28. But I figured Pettigrew was a better value at 24, and that the Bills could concievably trade up to get him.

DE then TE? You don't think they go OT at 28 to replace their recent loss? I know they let a pro bowler go and the argument is that if you want that position you would have kept the guy, but he was being a jackass and they were already dealing with Lynch and now they have TO. I see them grabbing an OT with that spot.

Arctic Dawgs

4. Seattle Seahawks – Mark Sanchez, QB, USC - At one point in the past few years I used to call the Seattle team the DropHawks......their recievers sucked. Houshmandzadeh is now there and they seem to have a consistent catching threat in Notre Dame (and mine) favorite, John Carlson. Drafting the heir apparent to Hasselbeck seems to be the flavor of the week. I actually like the Seahawks and hope they go OL or DL here, but everything is pointing to Sanchez at this time.

You are supposed to try and see through the smoke, not inhale it

:)

Runnik's Hambones

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss - Jerry is consistently sliding up draft boards, but not enough to land him in the top 15 picks. Tampa still needs help at QB, but Freeman is a huge reach here and getting the best value is here with a solid athlete that is finding his niche in Jerry. The Bucs desperetely need to shore up their D line, especially at tackle. The release of a lot of older defensive dead weight makes this a necessity.

Thank you God that doesn't say Josh Freeman!

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
You are supposed to try and see through the smoke, not inhale it

:)

Probably the most insightful brief statement I've seen as of late.

If I'm a GM in a spot to take a guy I KNOW that no less than 3 other teams covet, the first thing I'm doing is strategically leaking this information to one of the ESPN talking heads. As we all have seen over the past 3 days, it's worked to perfection. They reported it, and immediately several other major draft sites switched their mocks to reflect it.

As I'm sure AD can attest to, the Hawks have entered a rebuilding phase, and they would probably prefer having a few extra picks than saddle themselves with a guy who won't see the field for 2 years. That would be an awful lot of salary tied up at one position.

jmsmith1

Well I appreciate all the personal attacks at someone that at least has the balls to post a mock draft.

Im sure that the Chargers were doing the same thing when they drafted Eli Manning. Dont be surprised if the Seahawks take him at 4 for another team and then trade the receiving teams 1st rounder and a player or something for the pick.

But hey, all I do is smoke weed right?

Runnik's Hambones

Well I appreciate all the personal attacks at someone that at least has the balls to post a mock draft.

Im sure that the Chargers were doing the same thing when they drafted Eli Manning. Dont be surprised if the Seahawks take him at 4 for another team and then trade the receiving teams 1st rounder and a player or something for the pick.

What? I don't think anyone personally attacked you, whatsoever. Just making comments on picks, like we do for every draft. In my mock for example (which I guess I had the balls to post), I still have Seattle taking Monroe, but that may not happen. They may take Sanchez. If they do, so what. None of us pretend to have all of the answers, just sharing, like you, our thoughts. No harm in that.

Mike

Administrator
Mock Drafts always get hit with harsh comments, most of which focus entirely on one pick. Just goes with the territory.

Appreciate you offering up your insight here, don't let the responses get to ya.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Mike hit is dead on......all mocks get criticized, got to have thick skin. As far as personal attacks....believe me, this is light, lol.

As for the Sanchez pick, you dead on IMO. Call it a smoke screen all you want, I think Sanchez goes top 5 tomorrow. Seattle is trying like hell to trade the pick, but if they don't, I won't be shocked at all if they take him. Also, if they move it, it will be for Sanchez. I don't like him that much, but his stock is sky high right now.

My mock on the front page has Sanchez going in the same exact spot...

bodey24

Staff member
I agree with Runnik, I dont think anyone was attacking you personallly. They are just giving their opinions on your picks. We appreciate you posting how you think the draft is going to go. And by AD's comment I don't think he meant all you do is smoke weed. I think he was just joking around with one of your picks.

Arctic Dawgs

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a personal attack. I thought it was kind of a funny play on words.

I think your updated senario for the #4 pick is a strong possibility. I also agree on the Campbell assesment. What scares the hell out of me is that TR will trade back and then select another D player. That is Ruskells style. That arrogant jerk thinks he's the only GM in the NFL that can find Probowl lineman in the 4/5th rounds that no other GM will see.

Word to the wise, if he goes this route the only Seattle players worthy of drafting in a Keeper or Dynasty format would be IDP. There will be a small blip this year over last just on account of getting a bunch of injured players back, but team will continue to struggle to run the ball or protect the passer no matter who he is and it will only get worse every succesive year. I wonder if Vick is still in shape. They will need a QB who can run like hell
:scared:

As far as "Only I Would Love", I would say the close to half Seahawk fans now think this way. The other half are split all over the place, QB, WR, DL, LB, DB

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
lol, that's a JOKE jm, not a personal attack....kinda a play on words.....the smoke screen being thrown up about Sanchez.....

Chill, it's all in good fun. If that is the "personal attack" you are referring to then, nope, no personal attack there....