Matt Cassel shoots himself in the foot?

Mr. Hack

Local MMA Guru
He's just stating the obvious really... I don't think the issue of who to start was ever in question. Brady IS the Patriots.

All he needs to do is focus on his plans if Brady comes back... he should not waste time being #2 with his potential, IMO.

He's just stating the obvious really... I don't think the issue of who to start was ever in question. Brady IS the Patriots.

All he needs to do is focus on his plans if Brady comes back... he should not waste time being #2 with his potential, IMO.
Matt has always been number two.

If anything, Matt has shown us a chink in the Brady armor.

Just like Joe Montana, a product of the system.

Makes sense, after finding out the team can win a Super Bowl without him (Montana) and he can't win one without his coaching staff (Montana).

Wasn't Tom the next Joe?

and fade away

Mike

Administrator
Tom Brady was the "nobody" when he got his shot. A late round pick that was backing up a star QB. Star QB got hurt and never seen the starting lineup again.

dukdown

Banned
Maybe it's just me, but teams don't usually spend 14 million dollars on the back-up quarterback position. There's more to this than meets the eye.

Runnik's Hambones

Maybe it's just me, but teams don't usually spend 14 million dollars on the back-up quarterback position. There's more to this than meets the eye.

I disagree. If you have Brady starting and Cassel backing him up you do. Wait, let me rephrase that: If you have Brady starting and Cassel backing him up you do.

There, that's better.

catman

Baseball "Expert"
It seems to me that he is showing a lot of class in this situation. He could say that he wants a long-term contract and that he has "earned" the right to be the starter, but he hasn't. I applaud this sort of statement.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
:nod:

Here is what I read. Yes, I know this is Tom's team. I also know I want to be a starter. So don't expect me to sign a long term cheap contract. You want me for insurance? Then I will get paid big bucks, and walk next year! Thanks!

efactor

Coming at you
Matt has always been number two.

If anything, Matt has shown us a chink in the Brady armor.

Just like Joe Montana, a product of the system.

Makes sense, after finding out the team can win a Super Bowl without him (Montana) and he can't win one without his coaching staff (Montana).

Wasn't Tom the next Joe?

and fade away

Those two years in KC without a championship are proof that Montana was a product of the system. Any other QB would have led them to two titles with the great talent that team had. Getting them to the AFC title game only one of those two years is just further proof of how average he was............

Hawks Eye

Master of Inexpertise
:nod:

Here is what I read. Yes, I know this is Tom's team. I also know I want to be a starter. So don't expect me to sign a long term cheap contract. You want me for insurance? Then I will get paid big bucks, and walk next year! Thanks!

I agree here. This is what Matt is doing.....

If they don't re-sign him, he'll still go to another team for a huge contract, and New England looks like the idiot that let their super loyal (and great) backup QB.

If they FT him, one of three things happens:
He gets $14 mil for sitting on the bench, and gets signed to another team the next year for a huge contract.
Or, he gets $14 mil for sitting on the bench and New England pays big-time to keep him around.
OR, he gets $14 mil, Brady is hurt, and he plays, and he becomes the next Tom Brady for the Patriots, and New England pays big-time to keep him around.

This seems like a win/win/win for Matt.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
OR he gets FTed as a strategic move by the best strategist in the game, then gets traded for a 1st and a 3rd for some crappy team like the lions, chiefs, or 49ers, then he gets a contract well less than 14 mil since he no longer has the FT insurance, then he sucks for the next long while and peters out his short career toiling away on a bad team.