Man vs. Magazine: RB's

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
In the second installment of Man vs. Magazine, I'll air my dirty laundry with NFL.com's 2009 Fantasy Football Preview publication's rankings/projections in regards to a pair of prominent running backs. Again, be liberal with your opinion, whether you agree or disagree.

RB's:
LaDainian Tomlinson, SD - #13 - Projected 1,025 Rushing yds; 355 Receiving yds/9 total TD's (too low)
-I almost felt guilty using this one because it seems like too much of a layup. His situation stays essentially the same with regards to system, schedule, and supporting cast, plus he's coming into 2009 at 100% health unlike last year. Darren Sproles may be used a little more in his role in late-game situations to keep him fresh for an inevitable playoff run, but those projected numbers are a joke. He's not the consensus #1 overall pick anymore, but he's at least a year away from RB2 status.
The Dawg says: #5 - 1550 combined Yds/ 14 TD's. Rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. Don't make the same mistake.

DeAngelo Williams, CAR - #5 - Projected 1,345 rushing yds; 180 receiving yds/14 total TD's (too high)
-This has less to do with ability and has everything to do with workload. Williams is a very talented back who broke out in a huge way last year and was the #1 scoring RB in most formats. Unfortunately, he's got a young stud in Jonathan Stewart sharing time with him, so don't draft him expecting 2008 numbers. Stewart is now a full year removed from foot issues that he was recovering from during the early part of last year and can expect more touches in 2009. On a team that favors the run as much as the Panthers, both RB's will go high and Williams will be a guaranteed 1st rounder, but the gap between them is closing fast.
The Dawg says: #9 - 1425 combined Yds/ 11 TD's. If you have faith in this projection and wonder if Stewart will pick up some of the yardage and scoring slack, you're probably right.

efactor

Coming at you
Right on LT...................:taz:

Wrong on DeAngelo. The Stewart factor is way overblown. DWill is the better RB and will get 65 percent of the action this year. Anyone who actually WATCHED Carolina last year saw the amazing combination of Speed and Power. Will way outperform Forte this year...............

Nice work...............

:stooges:

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Will way outperform Forte this year.

If I have Williams at 9, and you have Forte at 8, that's a manageable difference, no? LOL

Hopefully he (Williams) outperforms him by about 35-40 points. That's roughly the head start Forte has between them in a PPR league.

efactor

Coming at you
If I have Williams at 9, and you have Forte at 8, that's a manageable difference, no? LOL

Hopefully he (Williams) outperforms him by about 35-40 points. That's roughly the head start Forte has between them in a PPR league.

;)

Been watching the Giants and drinking Rum and Cokes. Shouldn't be commenting at this point.........

However, I just don't see why people think Stewart will get a bigger share than last year. Williams was spectacular and is getting little respect going into 09...............

The biggest difference to me between Stewart and Williams is if you look at their college stats, Deangelo has proven that he can carry the rock 300 times in a season. Stewart never has and has been injury prone nonetheless.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
The biggest difference to me between Stewart and Williams is if you look at their college stats, Deangelo has proven that he can carry the rock 300 times in a season. Stewart never has and has been injury prone nonetheless.
Great comment on Stewart. I thought we had these tow covered from about every angle, but that is new insight on the carries with Stewart.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Right on LT...................:taz:

Wrong on DeAngelo. The Stewart factor is way overblown. DWill is the better RB and will get 65 percent of the action this year. Anyone who actually WATCHED Carolina last year saw the amazing combination of Speed and Power. Will way outperform Forte this year...............

Nice work...............

:stooges:
E, we need to stop doing this, but I agree 100% with what you stated here.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
Alright alright, stop the lovefest you 2!

Understand that I don't dislike D-Will one bit. In fact I think it was just a matter of time until he became fully healthy and got a starter's haul and he would be a great back. I just don't like him to repeat his ungodly breakout season because he has a highly drafted backup who will probably get a bigger workload to keep both fresh. Very smart from a coaching standpoint. Very frustrating from a fantasy standpoint.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Alright alright, stop the lovefest you 2!

Understand that I don't dislike D-Will one bit. In fact I think it was just a matter of time until he became fully healthy and got a starter's haul and he would be a great back. I just don't like him to repeat his ungodly breakout season because he has a highly drafted backup who will probably get a bigger workload to keep both fresh. Very smart from a coaching standpoint. Very frustrating from a fantasy standpoint.
But here is where I disagree......they already did this last year!! Dwill only had 273 carries last year, and Stewart was already given a large chunk at 184. That 273 was only 9th in the league, while Stewart's 184 was 28th.....

Now will he score 20 times and be the #1 back, no.....but can he be a solid top 5, yup, sure can. I don't think they are going to mess with the rotation, looks solid the way it is.

Don't forget, while Stewart was a #1 pick, so was DeAngelo.....

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
But here is where I disagree......they already did this last year!! Dwill only had 273 carries last year, and Stewart was already given a large chunk at 184. That 273 was only 9th in the league, while Stewart's 184 was 28th.....

Now will he score 20 times and be the #1 back, no.....but can he be a solid top 5, yup, sure can. I don't think they are going to mess with the rotation, looks solid the way it is.

Don't forget, while Stewart was a #1 pick, so was DeAngelo.....

Very true Miller :koolaid:

Arctic Dawgs

I wound up getting DWill after week 4 in a performance scoring Keeper league (off waivers LOL). Seems to me that he got a lot of longer TDs last year (20yds +). That was huge for me.

Seems to me they were about 1 yd different in yds/carry. Like Miller I don't see much of a dif in the carry %

Bubba

Since I picked #12 in SOFFL, I feel pretty good to get both these guys with the 12th and 13th picks.