Life beyond LT2? This is getting serious.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
OK so a few days ago one of the local San Diego sports writers speculated that with age, injury, and salary LT2's future with the Bolts is in jeopardy. How much stock should we put behind writer's speculation? Well unless you happen to be reading anything from The Ram (in which case it should be chisled into granite) you should always take local fervor with a grain of salt.

But for the fantasy football opportunist this is the time to pay attention and hedge your bets. Currently on roster the Chargers have:

LT. Likely gone.
Sproles. Could be gone and the Chargers GM came out and stated he isn't and every down back.
Michael Bennett. Garbage.
Jacob Hester. ???
Mike Tolbert Um, no.

So where will or should the Bolts look to fill the cleats of a first ballot future HOF runningback?

Larry Johnson wants out but Herm has stated he should be quiet and isn't going anywhere. But could a draft day deal be struck allowing LJ to make a fresh start? LJ is a punk and a douche BUT he catches the ball very well out of the backfield and runs hard. He'd be an ideal replacement but would come at a heavy price. If cut outright he could sign a "Benson" deal for one year to see if he could garner additional $$$ if he blows up.

Cedric Benson stepped off the booze cruise and ran HARD for the Bengals who are sure to push in signing the classic underperformer for at least a two year deal. Even if he became available he doesn't strike me as a guy who would do well as an all around back.

Derrick Ward is an impending FA and a 1k rusher in spot duty. He could come at a cheap price and could be a serviceable back for the Bolts. He can catch the ball and run hard even if he is a bit older and less proven than other options.

Mike

Administrator
To add a little data to the speculation:

• The Chargers are approximately $10 Million below the cap.
  • Releasing Tomlinson would result in a 2009 Cap charge of just over $2 Million, a savings of something like $6.6 Million.
  • The Chargers have key players to sign in the next 1-2 years including Rivers and Merriman. The Chargers MUST resign these two players.
Tomlinson has began a decline in production since 2006, and injuries are becoming more and more of an issue for a heavily used running back that is hitting that dreaded age of 30.

As I stated before the 2008 season, 2008 would be the last year I would gamble on Tomlinson as a high fantasy pick, and even then he scared me. I rolled the dice when given the opportunity, and he burned me. Even if the Chargers do keep in in 2009, he isn't high on my list.

If I have him in a dynasty league, I trade him at the first good opportunity (most likely when you start hearing the news reports during the offseason talking about how he is "in the best shape of his career")

Tomlinson "might" come back strong in 2009, but even if it does happen, I think it would be his last truly big year.

In a dynast league, you need to move him if at all possible. In a redraft, you are taking a huge risk by using a high first round pick on him.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Tomlinson is scheduled to count $8.97 million against San Diego's salary cap next season. But if they traded or released Tomlinson, the Chargers would free up $6.725 million worth of salary-cap space – quite a bit for a team that would like to re-sign free-agent-to-be RB Darren Sproles and also will try to re-sign its QB, Philip Rivers, to a long-term extension.

Could Chargers Look to Move LaDainian Tomlinson This Offseason? - NFL FanHouse

From a business standpoint it makes sense to lose him and bring someone affordable in to share with Sproles. Horrible way for him to go out, though.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
From a business standpoint it makes sense to lose him and bring someone affordable in to share with Sproles. Horrible way for him to go out, though.

Ward would be an affordable option if they kept Sproles for big plays.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Ward's 29, so I think you're right. He should be affordable.

If they do cut LT, one would think he'll pass through waivers making him a free agent. If he's realistic, he knows he only has a few years wherever he goes and it won't be for top dollar. Think he'd consider coming back at a reduced price?

Mike

Administrator
I don't think he would even consider coming back at a reduced rate. I think much that goes on with that team has frustrated him over the past couple years, not to mention most players never go back to the same team after being released (at least, not high end players like LT).

He would match up great with Felix Jones :)

Mike

Administrator
At least part of that injured pile of running backs in Denver should be available as well, might be something for the Chargers to consider there.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I don't think he would even consider coming back at a reduced rate. I think much that goes on with that team has frustrated him over the past couple years, not to mention most players never go back to the same team after being released (at least, not high end players like LT).

He would match up great with Felix Jones :)

I know it never happens, but unlike older RBs LT seems to know he's in the twilight of his career. If he gets through waivers and if he's not offered big pay somewhere else (and with a capless year coming I don't know if teams can do creative cap-friendly contracts or not), in his shoes I might consider coming back. Chargers are playoff ready and he doesn't have to learn a new scheme. He just needs to heal.

Runnik's Hambones

Ward's 29, so I think you're right. He should be affordable.

If they do cut LT, one would think he'll pass through waivers making him a free agent. If he's realistic, he knows he only has a few years wherever he goes and it won't be for top dollar. Think he'd consider coming back at a reduced price?

This has kind of been my thinking all along. I don't think LT is an idiot, and he understands all of the things we've been discussing. I actually expect the guy to go to the Chargers and say "Lets renegotiate my contract so that I can retire in SD, and we can resign some big names that we need to win a SB."

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
how many more big names does SD need? they already struggle to win half of their games with one of the most talented rosters in the league.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
O had me thinking, what about Arizona? The Cards have been a total shock this playoff season because they are 100% one dimensional. Could LT land in Arizona....where all once great runningbacks go to retire?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
Arizona....where all once great runningbacks go to retire?

I'm sure the after taste of bringing James in will still be bitter. More than likely drafting one, since they don't have an expensive top ten pick.

How about the Buccaneers? Houston? Or Seattle? Someone not completely rebuilding and have complimentary back.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
All good options with the exception of Seattle. They are clearly rebuilding and it would make sense for a guy like LT who's been so close before to want to go to a contender. That's why to me Arizona makes sense. Bucs are a possibility.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
or, scary thought, how about the patriots? where all once-great-players-with-a-chip-on-their-shoulder-and-something-to-prove go?

Mike

Administrator
how many more big names does SD need? they already struggle to win half of their games with one of the most talented rosters in the league.

Of their big names, Merriman has been on IR all season, LT has been hurt an ineffective all season, and Gates has not been full speed all season. This has been a pretty beat up team during 2008, and the loss of Merriman took a while to adjust to.