Le'Veon Bell - where does he go

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Assuming no trade happens before 4pm and Bell does get released - where does he go?

ESPN in an article suggest in order:
Chicago - Singletary has been okay, but loss of Cohen leave a hole. - I could get behind this one
Kansas City - CEH has no really solid veteran back up - I just don't see it, not sure Andy wants that kind of attitude head ache
Tampa Bay - Have Ronald Jones starting, and when healthy Fournette backing him up... but lost McCoy to IR on passing downs - maybe....
Pittsburgh - Conner has gotten off pretty well, have Snell and McFarland to back him up - no, don't see Bell going back, nope no way
Cleveland - Hunt has taken over while Chubb is hurt, D. Johnson backing up - don't think so here, as Hunt basically does what Bell would do.
San Francisco - Mostert is back, McKinnon is solid - don't see them spending this money
Tennessee - Henry is solid starter, back up is rookie Evans(didn't play much late is he hurt?) and McNichols - again, not sure they could afford to add, and use enough to keep him happy
Seattle - Chris Carson is starter and is very solid, signed Hyde off-season but he is hurt, and leaning on Horner as back up - this could be a legit spot and then release Hyde?
Miami - No real starter - Gaskins is it, Howard hasn't produced much, and neither has Brieda - getting Bell here would be really interesting and lets Bell stick it to Gase as well....hmmmm....
Arizona - Drake has disappointed, Edmonds is solid back up - depth maybe?

I will add more...not sure on cap space though:
Philadelphia - Sanders is starter, but they love to rotate backs so they could give Bell enough carries to stay healthy. Plus he is very good in passing game.
Washington - they have the rookie, but not much depth after. Bell would give Qb more target capacity and could aid running game
Chargers - Ekeler replacement?

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
Out of the pantheon of dumb moves it seems Bell has made the dumbest in the history of sport.

This guy was universally considered one of the best RBs in the game while at Pittsburg.

Complained that he should be paid the combined salary of a top RB and top WR because he caught so many balls but was only getting RB salary.

Holds out, causes so much trouble that he is traded for pennies on the dollar to the Jets.

Flops tremendously, although in fairness it is the Jets.

Now is so disgruntled and fighting with coaches about not being included in the passing game that they finally just got rid of him.

This dude went from a sure HOF'er to someone that you can't even roster on your fantasy team.

Dumbest moves in the history of the NFL and this is competing with a guy that tried to shoot his own dick off in a nightclub.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The more I think on this.......
Dolphins ARE a solid choice, as Bell could easily win the starting role
Chargers - Ekeler will miss alot of time, allowing Bell to showcase for a bigger deal next year - signing one year this year
Broncos - Gordon's actions is making me nervous, and I am hearing more and more HC is ticked over it. But with Lindsey coming back this doesn't make as much sense.

Outlier - Eagles or Falcons - Sanders IS the starter in Philly, but depth behind him isn't great, Falcons have relied heavily on Gurley, but will he hold up rest of season?

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
One thing you have to consider, Bell has the absolute choice in this matter. There is no trade to negotiate, no waivers to be cleared. I would have a hard time believing he would orchestrate his way out of the 'no-account' Jets just to go play for a team just as bad like the Falcons or Eagles.

This has that 'what is my greatest exposure opportunity' feel to it. Bell needs to go where he can audition for a contract next year. It would make the most sense for him to go to a playoff team.

I can see San Fran, Rams, Pats, Bucs as the best choices. But of course its all just speculation.

Phicinfan

Administrator
One thing you have to consider, Bell has the absolute choice in this matter. There is no trade to negotiate, no waivers to be cleared. I would have a hard time believing he would orchestrate his way out of the 'no-account' Jets just to go play for a team just as bad like the Falcons or Eagles.

This has that 'what is my greatest exposure opportunity' feel to it. Bell needs to go where he can audition for a contract next year. It would make the most sense for him to go to a playoff team.

I can see San Fran, Rams, Pats, Bucs as the best choices. But of course its all just speculation.
Unless its simply a money grab, which has been his biggest issue all along. Don't assume success to him is title, he hasn't had that in the past.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Just hot off the wire - Per PFT his 3 leading teams are Bills, Chiefs and Dolphins. So wins with Bills and Chiefs but lesser play, money for Dolphins is my bet.