LaDainian Tomlinson: Should San Diego sell high?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Blasphemy I know, but lets look at the facts here...

LT2 has looked more like an old LTD lately. He seems to have lost a step over the last couple years, and there are a lot of miles on the tires. For those wondering how many:

Tomlinson has 8 years on the wheels. Coming into this season, in 7 years Tomlinson has never had less than 313 carries, going over 338 carries 5 times. This years production dropped to 292. All in all, he has carried 2657 times for 11760 yards and 126 TDs.

These totals dont include the recieving touches either. (52 this year alone).

What this equals to me is a hell of a pounding on that body to go along with production totals that are slipping but still pretty good. More than enough, IMO, to move him to another team who would pay dearly. Had the Chargers truly realized what they had with Michael Turner, I bet he and Sproles would be leading this team this year. Hindsight, however, is 20/20.

Oh, and before next season, Tomlinson will turn 30 :thud:

So....what do you good folks think?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
id say yes, san diego should sell high. now someone get in a time machine and go back a year or two and tell them!!!

Runnik's Hambones

God that's a hard decision. Here's how I would answer though: don't sell, yet. I would sit him down and try and renegotiate his contract. They may need to say to him all those things, and try and get more money for their organization so that they can hold onto Sproles or invest somewhere else. If he wants to retire as a Charger, he'll take a bit of a cut. If not, I can buy into the argument of selling high.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think you almost have to sell him now if you intend to get something in return. This could easily go Shaun Alexander on the Chargers, and then they have a high priced back on the roster with injury issues.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
who is going to trade for him? why would you trade for a guy with a bajillion miles on him and plenty of injuries piling up, plus a monster contract??

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I agree, this is not a sell high....his rust is showing and the wheels are showing wear. Not going to get much for his at this point.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Yes SD should trade him. No however, they won't. Cap hit would kill them, and I don't think any team out there will eat that contract for what they will get. As more teams go to two back systems...I would love to have LT2 as my main back....but not at that price.

Mike

Administrator
Just look at Shaun Alexander. Dude was great, got injured and struggled for a season, and now nobody touches him.

The market value of running back's who are at the dreaded age of 30 just isn't there. Whoever trades for him takes on the increased injury risk due to high mileage and age, and the task of waiting on him to grasp a new system.

Grabbing a running back at this stage of their career for a modest "free agent" salary, and using them sparingly is great, see the New England Patriots.

Going out and getting them to be your starter is a key for failure. See Dallas with Eddie George or Arizona with Emmitt Smith.

Give Matt Millen a job somewhere and he probably jumps at a deal like this :)

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Just look at Shaun Alexander. Dude was great, got injured and struggled for a season, and now nobody touches him.

The market value of running back's who are at the dreaded age of 30 just isn't there. Whoever trades for him takes on the increased injury risk due to high mileage and age, and the task of waiting on him to grasp a new system.

Grabbing a running back at this stage of their career for a modest "free agent" salary, and using them sparingly is great, see the New England Patriots.

Going out and getting them to be your starter is a key for failure. See Dallas with Eddie George or Arizona with Emmitt Smith.

Give Matt Millen a job somewhere and he probably jumps at a deal like this :)
Add Edge for the Cardinals as another who was money not well spent.

Arctic Dawgs

Come on Mike. Thats a big oversimplification

Don't forget that at the same time TR let Hutch go while Holmgren was away on holidays and decimated a very good (but old) Oline. Prior to that SA's ypc to the left were a lot higher than his ypc to the right. Seems to me that Jones was also having some shoulder issues as well as no help beside him at the time.

Then everyone is all over Sean because he can't get the short 1st downs :hmmm: Lets bring in Duckett, he'll get them. :nod: I wonder why Mike is really retiring

Maybe that's why TR keeps using early picks on D. He knows they are going to need the depth because of how much time they are going to be on the field.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
come on, there's a huge parallel here.

*rb breaks the td record, monster year, and wins mvp
*rb pusses out of the playoffs and his team falls short
*rb gets a concussion in doing so
*overconfident team invests little into OL during offseason
*record rb gets drafted first the next season and is average at best all year in fantasy leagues
*record rb sucks again in the playoffs
*owners talk themselves into one more good year and draft record rb 5th or so the following season and end up with a complete and utter bust

ok, so the last one hasnt happened yet. give it time.