Ken Whisenhunt vs Mike Tomlin epic matchup?

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
This has to be one of the greatest coaching matchups ever. Ken Whiz performed magic for the Steelers in their 2005-6 Super Bowl and wanted to stay as coach! Many of us fans wanted him to stay and be our coach too.

Mike Tomlin comes in and now both in their second year they meet in the Super Bowl! What a matchup!

What do you think? Best "bragging rights" matchup in years?

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I guess the idea could hold more excitement for the citizens of Pittsburgh, but Wiz already beat Tomlin last year so some of the shine is missing for me.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
I guess the idea could hold more excitement for the citizens of Pittsburgh, but Wiz already beat Tomlin last year so some of the shine is missing for me.

What was this? A regular season week 4 game?? I would suggest there's a major difference between a championship game and that.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
It's a nice side story for Pit and Arizona fans because the Whiz wanted the Pit job, and everyone wanted him to have the Pit job but Tomlin got it instead. For the rest of us, doesn't make much of a difference.

And don't kid yourself, Tomlin inherited this team, he didn't form it. This is Cowher's players doing the work, not the coaching genius of Tomlin.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I'm excited about this match-up! Whizzy and Grimm have a shot at revenge here, great story line. Tomlin has come in and been everyting they could have ever dreamed about after Cower.....but Whizzy and Grim knocking him off in the SB will be pretty bitter pill for Pitt fans to swallow.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
It really did turn out to be an epic matchup :clap:

Whisenhunt by defacto must have inherited his team also, which explains why he was there. (?)

These two will meet again.

Spike

D'Hoffryn
Two things get lost in the Whisenhunt/Tomlin story:

a)Tomlin's interview was not required under the Rooney Rule. The Steelers had satisfied the Rooney rule when they interviewed Ron Rivera.

b)The Steelers did not necessarily prefer Tomlin over Whisenhunt. Tomlin did impress enough to warrant a second interview. Before that second interview, Whisenhunt was offered the Arizona job, which he decided to take instead of sweating out the Pittsburgh job.

Just interjecting....

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
That's good stuff. I was reading the Pittsburgh papers all along and didn't get that good inside information. So thx for straightening me out. I thought it would be a "see, I told you so" matchup. It did turn out to be a field for controversy as to which coach is better, so I wasn't all wrong.

I still think if they would have offered Whiz the job he would have taken it. That's initially what upset me, because he is a winner! We (Pittsburgh) got another winner so that's the best we could have hoped for!

This is reminiscent of the Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon coaches of Pittsburgh Panthers hoops team. They were wonderful as a team! When Ben left I thought "o no!". And I was hesitant to give Jamie any credit until he proved himself to me. He has, thankfully. But the same feelings I had when Ben Howland left (we let a gem go!) were the feelings when Whiz and Grimm left! O no! How could we let them go?!
:albundy:

It's all working out it seems, but not with the coaches I would have prefered. Shows what I know! Happy now!