Keeper League Advice

MNJohnson1

Here are my current considerations for keepers in my league. The league is set up to be RB and WR friendly. WR's get .5 per reception plus 1 pt per 10 yrds and 6 pts for a TD. TE's get 1 pt per reception plus 1 pt per 10 yrds and 6 pts per TD. RB's get 1 pt per 10 yrds either receiving or rushing and 6 pts per TD. QBs get pts for rushing or passing TDS and some points for yardage.

I would like advice as to whether I should keep Jamarcus RUSSELL or Dustin KELLER. For sure, I am keeping JONES-DREW, FORTE and Desean JACKSON.

MNJohnson1

We can only keep four people. We cant keep year 5s (Steven Jackson) and cant keep people we picked up on waivers (DeAngelo Williams). I have Derek Anderson as my other QB. I have Camarillo, Devery Henderson (Year 5) Michael Jenkins (year 5) and Anthony Fasano. So realistically I can choose between Fasano, Russell, Keller, Anderson.

Runnik's Hambones

Wow that's a crappy option. I guess you keep Russell, because I'm pretty sure that Anderson is done. Hope that you can grab a better QB in the draft though, because Russell isn't even that great of a back up.

Coachnorm

When do you have to make these cuts?

What will be your picking position in the draft?

How many teams?

Coachnorm

Also since you have to drop SJax because you have had him 5 Years can I assume that other teams may be also having to drop big names back into the draft pool this year?

Runnik's Hambones

I was actually heading back to this thread to ask that exact same question Coach. There's bound to be a QB being dropped for this reason I'd assume.

MNJohnson1

Yes there will be some other Year 5 going into 6 to be picked up like Fitzgerald and Cooley. I could also keep Hester as my fourth. Let me know.

Coachnorm

I'm just trying to grasp the bigger viewpoint here. If it is the 5th year of a keeper league that has to drop players after 5 years there might be some big ticket names going back into the draft pool this year.

Runnik's Hambones

Obviously Fitz is huge. If I were you, as it seems most of the teams will likely do, is to pick first at the 5 year drops. You can likely get a decently performing QB to start above Russell in later rounds.

Coachnorm

I am in a 5 keeper league but it has 16 teams. Everybody keeps a QB. In a four team keeper most teams will keep a QB, 2 RBs and a WR I would assume. Teams with great WRs and not so great a QB might go 2 and 2 with RBs and WRs.

Coachnorm

MNJ, it look's like you should probably keep Jamarcus if for no other reason than it makes it so you are not desperate to grab a QB with your earliest pick. Since I don't know when you pick you really need the flexability in the draft to grab a real difference maker like Fitz if he is available to you in the first round.

Jamarcus did finish out the year with 3 decent performances. A 17 pointer, 16 pointer and a 13 pointer.

Runnik's Hambones

Like I had said, I also think Russell is your best bet. And like Norm just said he had 3 decent performances and you have to assume that he'll at least have more than 3 next year. That at least allows you some comfort if he's your back up.

Again, like I said, I would pick from the pool of dropped 5th year players first, someone like Fitz or a high profile RB that someone has to let go. It appears that WRs and TEs get good numbers in your league so if for example someone has to drop Witten, I'd be all over that.

Wait on a QB. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone better than Russell to start in later rounds.

Remote Controller

Russell is your best option with the details you have provided. Keller's situation is really up in the air, with his late season collapse that seems to mirror the teams collapse. The whole Favre situation seems to be a poison pill right now, and I would avoid.

MNJohnson1

With our league there is no backup. You take 2 Qbs, 3 Rbs, 4 Wrs, 2 Tes and 1 kicker. I will likely be picking 3rd of 8 in our pool. I am liking Fitz if he is available at 3rd pick, if not, likely SJax. For Qbs I like Schaub, Cassel will be going back in as will Thigpen. I like Russell cause I think the Raiders are going to get Crabtree in the draft.

Runnik's Hambones

You seem to have a good plan then MNJ. I'd go Fitz if he's available. Cassel would be a nice pick I think. I'm one of the believers that he will be the Pats starter next year. Just keep and eye on that situation.

MNJohnson1

Here is a list of our league and its players. Keep in mind that each person gets to keep four players only and the rest go back into the draft. You must have 2 rookies, and 1 from each yrs 2-5. The cut will occur after the draft. If the raiders get a good wide out, i.e Crabtree, Maclin or Heyward-Bey, it will elevate Russell big time. Year 5s are back in as year 6 and year 6 and up are out.

TT

Orton, K
Thigpen, T
Addai, J
Brown, R
Johnson, C
Edwards, B
Johnson, C
Royal, E
White, R
Cooley, C
Scheffler, T
Scobee, J

RGH

Anderson, D
Russell, J
Forte, M
Jackson, S
Jones-Drew, M
Williams, D Camarillo, G
Henderson, D
Hester, D
Jackson, D
Jenkins, M
Fasano, A
Keller, D
Prater, M

Cb

Cassel, M
Manning, E
Lynch, M
Parker, W
Smith, K
Avery, D
Berrian, B
Bradley, M
Furrey, MI
Jackson, V
Carlson, J
Clark, D
Crosby, M

r r

Quinn, B
Romo, T
Bush, R
Maroney, L
Rice, R
Cotchery, J
Ginn Jr., T
Holmes, S
Sweed, L
Lee, D
Winslow, K
Brown, J

Wc

Edwards, T
Flacco, J
Peterson, A
Slaton, S
Turner, M
Boldin, A
Evans, L
Johnson, A
Marshall, B
Miller, H
Smith, A
Gould, R

t u

Campbell, J
Rivers, P
Barber, M
Jacobs, B
Stewart, J
Bryant, A
Colston, M
Jones, M
Moore, L
Welker, W
Miller, Z
Witten, J
Mehlhaff, T

TJg

Cutler, J
Ryan, M
Charles, J
Gore, F
Hillis, P
McFadden, D
White, L
Bowe, D
Breaston, S
Gonzalez, A
Jennings, G
Davis, V
Olsen, G
Kaeding, N

PB

Rodgers, A
Roethlisberger, B
Grant, R
Green-Ellis, B
Hightower, T
Mendenhall, R
Fitzgerald, L
Rice, S
Walter, K
Williams, R
Daniels, O
Gates, A
Carpenter, D

Runnik's Hambones

Ok, you NEED WR. Again. I think that a decent QB can be picked up later. Your RB situation is pretty good with Forte and MJD. I would attempt to grab a star WR in the first round, a good RB in the 2nd round, then either look for another WR/TE or QB in the 3rd.

MNJohnson1

Would you pick up Jennings or Bowe if they come available? I would say Jennings as Rodgers has proven himself. We can trade as well. Would you offer a first rd. pick for Jennings? How about Colston?