Jon Gruden returning as the Eagles Head Coach?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Howard Eskin of WIP and FOX 29 in Philadelphia and Eagles sideline reporter is saying that Gruden is ready to return to the NFL as a HC. It's been rumored for some time that Gruden would return to Philly and with Reid's back up against the wall this story could have wings.

bodey24

Staff member
I would love for Dallas to hire Gruden! Although, I will settle for Andy Reid or Sean Payton.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Sean payton will never leave New Orleans.

I will believe the Eagles will fire Andy, if and when they ever do. But I would love to see Chucky there. But that too I don't believe either.

I think this is just a lot of smoke.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Reports in New Orleans say that Benson is ready and willing to make Sean the highest paid coach in the NFL. This season has been like seeing the writing on the wall for him. Peyton's kids live in the Dallas area and he did buy a house there over a year ago. I was worried then and still am a little bit but I don't think he'll walk out on the Saints after this disaster. The Cowboys on the other hand are going to be coach shopping very soon.

For a rare change I'll step out on limb and disagree with you PhiCin, though I should know better-lol. Vick is taking Andy down with him and coach made the choice to sink or swim with him. If Philly doesn't right the ship and watching them vs the Saints I don't think it is possible, Reid is going to get axed.

Arctic Dawgs

can't see anyone with a real coaching pedigree going to Dallas to work for Jerry. That job will go to someone desperate for a shot

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
It really wouldn't make much sense for an established coach to go there, I agree. Still I'll admit to being a bit worried about it.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
Reports in New Orleans say that Benson is ready and willing to make Sean the highest paid coach in the NFL. This season has been like seeing the writing on the wall for him. Peyton's kids live in the Dallas area and he did buy a house there over a year ago. I was worried then and still am a little bit but I don't think he'll walk out on the Saints after this disaster. The Cowboys on the other hand are going to be coach shopping very soon.

For a rare change I'll step out on limb and disagree with you PhiCin, though I should know better-lol. Vick is taking Andy down with him and coach made the choice to sink or swim with him. If Philly doesn't right the ship and watching them vs the Saints I don't think it is possible, Reid is going to get axed.

have you watched any eagles games this year mud? or more than one? because honestly, i'm sick of everyone blaming the iggles debacle on vick. yes, the numbers are bad, and i'm not saying that he's playing well, because he isn't, but he certainly is not what's killing this team.

1. HORRIBLE COACHING horrible coaching horrible coaching including but not limited to HORRIBLE PLAYCALLING HORRIBLE PLAYCALLING HORRIBLE PLAYCALLING!!!!!!!

i have been a very big andy supporter over the years, the only time i got ****ed at him was when he benched donny against the ravens. ok? so i'm not one of these philly haters. i appreciate how good our team has been yada yada yada

the offensive calls have been horrendous. just against the saints for example, the run game was going great in the first half (apparently a number of the most successful runs were audibled by vick, not called plays). anyway, it was working. do you think marty morhinweg could call a run play in the 3rd quarter? of course not!

the eagles are so predictable, even i know what they're gonna do, and trust me, i'm not technical like that. and wtf were they doing in the red zone lining up with an empty backfield? ASININE

2. o-line injuries (and poor play calling for a terrible o-line--why is vick dropping back? why is there no freaking screen option? etc.) plus horrible play (demetress bell should be fined for his play last week)

3. poor player execution--i'm looking at you jeremy maclin, brent celek (who each dropped a TD pass last week), as well as the entire D-line, kurt frigging coleman (never saw a play action he didn't bite on), the list goes on

4. awful special teams play. you can't appreciate this if you only saw the saints game, because that was by far their best performance of the year. we have been gashed all year for yards and started deep continuously.

5., um, gotta go chicklet needs entertainment.

but please don't give me this vick is bringing down reid ****. reid is bringing himself down, and doing a spectacular job of it

Last edited by a moderator:

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The Saint's game was the only one I watched completely. Of course you're right in that Vick isn't the only part of the Eagles that just isn't clicking, I agree, the entire team seems off and they have since the :dream team" was formed. It seems the brass would like to see Vick benched and Reid has refused to do that. His actions of sticking with Vick is what I meant was gonna sink him. He could survive being stuborn if they were winning but they clearly aren't.

eaglechick

The Saint's game was the only one I watched completely. Of course you're right in that Vick isn't the only part of the Eagles that just isn't clicking, I agree, the entire team seems off and they have since the :dream team" was formed. It seems the brass would like to see Vick benched and Reid has refused to do that. His actions of sticking with Vick is what I meant was gonna sink him. He could survive being stuborn if they were winning but they clearly aren't.

i don't think the brass wants to bench vick. maybe lurie is upset with andy that he has a rookie backup and trent edwards, but again, that is reid's own fault and not vick's. in any case, andy is playing vick not out of loyalty (see castillo point below), but because he gives them the best chance to win. seriously, maclin, jackson (who is generally playing very well), and celek each dropped (or tipped) catchable TD passes last week. and the red zone play calling is terrible. really stink-a-licious. trust me.

in any case what is sinking andy is his typical stubbornness and unwillingness/inability to change what isn't working. i admit i thought firing castillo was an ok idea--not because castillo should have been fired when he was (if at any time, last year or during the off-season would have been much more appropriate), but it looked like andy was trying to do something. however, clearly he wasn't trying very hard. now it's clear he just threw him under the bus--for nothing. defense has regressed significantly since the firing.

on the offensive side i would like to pin a lot of blame on morhinweg, but honestly, i think all eagles fans know that it's andy behind the plays here. both of them are showing serious ineptitude.

and sure, vick locks onto one receiver pretty often, and has some trouble reading D, although he's actually improved on that a lot. his accuracy has also gotten worse, but it's hard to discuss that without thinking about the pounding he is taking each week. it is really unbelievable, and the reason i will stick up for vick more than most players on this team is that at least he is trying. even with the game out of hand he will scramble for a first and take a lick. check out the D and the missed tackles in comparison. sickening.

anyway, i just find the media commentary very frustrating this year, when people are clearly not watching the games and blaming the fiasco on one of the few players who is still trying. I'm pretty sure number 7 will be gone next year, but he will continue to have my respect for playing with heart and toughness every week.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Only one QB in the league, rookie Wilson, holds on to the ball longer than Vick does before releasing a pass. Many of the sacks and hits are due to Vick's slow decision making and release although I'll admit his line hasn't been any help. Tough? Yeah, no doubt. Still trying? Absolutely. A frnchise QB so far this year? Not really.

eaglechick

i don't know. i hear you here, and i've read the pff article https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/. it's very interesting. but here in this thread we are talking about poor coaching, right?

look at the number of drop backs--vick has 366, more than anyone else in the league except for andrew luck. there are a few other QBs with high numbers, but... are they peyton manning pocket-passer types, or vick types? do those teams have lesean mccoy on them? no, i didn't think so

and do you think the fact that vick's sacks take longer has to do with protection, or with elusiveness?

so, you know, where it might be nice to think that vick is the same as aaron rodgers or drew brees, can we admit that the two have a different skill set? do you agree it might be wise to adjust your game plan to account for vick's (and mccoy's, for instance) strengths and weaknesses?

so wtf are we doing with vick dropping back 366 times per game (often with play action, although everyone knows we never ****ing run the ball !!!!) waiting for a long play to develop instead of designing run plays, screens, draws, etc. that work to his strengths?

he's not a ****ing pocket passer!!!!!!!!

sorry. anyway, as i have said i don't think vick is playing great, but i think the coaches are MUCH more responsible than he is.

also, as i said last week during the game, i'd much rather have a developing team that fights hard for 2-14 than a bunch of mercenary/wimp**** assholes who think they're too good to tackle or block or take a hit. get rid of andy, get rid of the wide 9, teach some fundamental football and play with heart. is that so much to ask for?

end of rant lol

cctekguy

Staff member
i don't think vick is playing great, but i think the coaches are MUCH more responsible than he is.

I think this is the same phenomena that McFadden is going through. Zone blocking is fabulous and we see Arian Foster prove this every week. But Darren is explosive through the hole. He's not gonna wait for a complex blocking scheme to open up a lane.

Neither player has changed or diminished. They are being forced to play in a system that is contrary to their strengths.

No one to blame but the coaches.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Enjoyed your post very much EC, thanks.

It'll be interesting when Vick looks for another club next season to see what the other teams think about his talents. A wounded Manning drew lots of interest from around the league, a great Vick should do the same.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Honestly, I somewhat disagree with EC.

I do agree the play calling is bad, and for that matter stagnant. Everyone knows what they are gonna do.
I don't blame it all on Vick but he deserves his fair share. He locks on receivers, and has not pocket presence.

That being said, i have said time and again they need to rebuild the off. line. Granted, injuries killed them, but they were bad before the injuries. So Vick HAS to run around, and I think he is running scared, not planned. He isn't built to handle tough pressure, and he has gotten beat to death.

I watched the game today, and am somewhat enthused by Foles. He did pretty decent. But they have to protect him better, or they will be going to Edwards....yuck.

They have one of the top rbs in the league, and refuse to rely on him. Why? Maybe cause they know the damn line can't consistently block for him? that is my guess.

It probably is time for Andy to go. I think he will be kept in the organization, but won't be coaching. I just hope they get a decent coach and not hand to to OC.

Escrow

The offensive line is terrible....Vick gets less than 2 seconds to throw the ball, most routes are not even developed yet. Andy Reid will be a good coach again, but his scheme does not work in Philly, the smart thing would of been getting Greg Knapp after he left ATL and then Oakland in 2008 because when he was in ATL with Vick, he made Vick what he was....

eaglechick

Honestly, I somewhat disagree with EC.

I do agree the play calling is bad, and for that matter stagnant. Everyone knows what they are gonna do.
I don't blame it all on Vick but he deserves his fair share. He locks on receivers, and has not pocket presence.

That being said, i have said time and again they need to rebuild the off. line. Granted, injuries killed them, but they were bad before the injuries. So Vick HAS to run around, and I think he is running scared, not planned. He isn't built to handle tough pressure, and he has gotten beat to death.

I watched the game today, and am somewhat enthused by Foles. He did pretty decent. But they have to protect him better, or they will be going to Edwards....yuck.

They have one of the top rbs in the league, and refuse to rely on him. Why? Maybe cause they know the damn line can't consistently block for him? that is my guess.

It probably is time for Andy to go. I think he will be kept in the organization, but won't be coaching. I just hope they get a decent coach and not hand to to OC.

last year the eagles line was one of the best in football phic. jason peters injury really hurt, more than anything else that's happened this year (offensively)

on the other hand, the D just blows (surprisingly, they were better under castillo lol)

i'm happy to say i fell asleep for the 4th quarter, so i can't comment much on the game past the punt return for TD. i thought foles looks promising.

for the future, with our record, i would say now it's time to stick with foles (even if vick is able to play), and get him ready. however, andy will likely bring vick back when recovered to try and cover his butt. what a frigging mess

Phicinfan

Administrator
last year the eagles line was one of the best in football phic. jason peters injury really hurt, more than anything else that's happened this year (offensively)

on the other hand, the D just blows (surprisingly, they were better under castillo lol)

i'm happy to say i fell asleep for the 4th quarter, so i can't comment much on the game past the punt return for TD. i thought foles looks promising.

for the future, with our record, i would say now it's time to stick with foles (even if vick is able to play), and get him ready. however, andy will likely bring vick back when recovered to try and cover his butt. what a frigging mess

I am sorry, I disagree again. Just not giving up sacks doesn't make you a great line. Had any NON-mobile Qb been there, and they would have been in last place. Peters injury hurts yes, but he was in no way a great OT.

They have continued to neglect the O-line picking up retreads and late picks to fix the line. In fact I believe last year was the first year in Reid's tenure they spent a first round pick on a OL man.

I also am not locked on Foles, I think he has potential to be a great cheap back up. But I think they should run out Vick, keep losing and see if they can get Barkley in next years draft.

I am also quite sure Vick is gone, he is due too much money, and there is a buyout clause in his contract for the end of this year.

Oh, and the defense isn't the issue. They had Dallas locked up, almost all the pts scored were ST or D. The issue is the Off. doesn't have sustained drives, and the defense is out there way too long.

Get a good O-line, run McCoy alot, use Play action passing more then, and this defense would be top notch.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I'm not a Philly fan of any sort but to me and you can certainly correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed the entire team picked it up a couple of notches in this game. They played inspired ball, especially it seemed with the rookie under center. I don't watch the Eagles much but I thought this was their best overall game. Much better than when they faced the Saints. Good luck to you who care.