Is this QB a future Hall of Famer?

Future Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Take a look at the numbers through 10 seasons...

Career record as a starter: 82 wins, 45 losses (0.645 win percentage)
Over 32,000 yards (passing and rushing)
TD / int ratio of 194:90 (2.16 ratio)
Career interception percentage of 2.1% per passes thrown (2nd best in history)
Top 35 in career pass attempts. completions, yards, and TDs at age 32
Career passer rating of 85.9 (18th highest all time)
Career 9-5 playoff record with over 3500 yards and 24 TDs

You may know who this guy is, and at age 32 they should have presumably at least 5 more years of numbers to compile. Is this player a future Hall of Famer? Vote above before you scroll down below and see who you just voted in or out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Administrator
I voted no, given that it looks like the guy missed almost 50 games during his career and the fact I need to look at his actual career and not just his stats.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I voted no, given that it looks like the guy missed almost 50 games during his career and the fact I need to look at his actual career and not just his stats.

The player in question has missed 22 games over 9 years as a starter. The first season was mostly on the bench.

Oops, I listed the career record wrong, so I see the confusion. Let me fix that.

Mike

Administrator
Hall of Fames and MVP's don't play a heavy factor for me. What they do on the given team(s) they played for is what matters to me.

I like to factor in what I think the specific player would have done if potentially placed in different situations, which is why just looking at stats doesn't really guide me to a decision.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Take a look at the numbers through 10 seasons...

Career record as a starter: 82 wins, 45 losses (0.645 win percentage)
Over 32,000 yards (passing and rushing)
TD / int ratio of 194:90 (2.16 ratio)
Career interception percentage of 2.1% per passes thrown (2nd best in history)
Top 35 in career pass attempts. completions, yards, and TDs at age 32
Career passer rating of 85.9 (18th highest all time)
Career 9-5 playoff record with over 3500 yards and 24 TDs

You may know who this guy is, and at age 32 they should have presumably at least 5 more years of numbers to compile. Is this player a future Hall of Famer? Vote above before you scroll down below and see who you just voted in or out.
Honestly, I am torn here. Passing yardage is solid, TD-INT ratio is incredible, was a winning Qb.

I am going to say no. Not sure why...just can't put my finger on it.

Oh, is this McNabb?

Runnik's Hambones

I'm going with yes. INT % is freaking amazing. Great passer rating. 9-5 playoff record means he lead his team there quite a few times, and was over all successful. I say yes.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Hall of Fames and MVP's don't play a heavy factor for me. What they do on the given team(s) they played for is what matters to me.

I like to factor in what I think the specific player would have done if potentially placed in different situations, which is why just looking at stats doesn't really guide me to a decision.

this is probably for another thread and another place, but from a cowboys fan in particular, how do you look at someone like aikman, emmitt, or irvin then? ive always been pretty strongly of the opinion that each of these guys was a good but not great player that was in the right situation at the right time. yeah im aware of the numbers and obviously the rings, but what if you took any of those guys and swapped them over to the lions or the 90s bucs or someone else? i think they'd each have been just another guy personally.

Mike

Administrator
All I can say on those players is that I disagree with your assumption. Being a fan of a team that is pretty much hated by everybody else I slowly learning to stay out of those "no win" arguments on boards like these.

I will say that Emmitt Smith, in his career, broke big records, including one that may not be touched in my lifetime. And at age 35, on a crappy Cardinals team, still managed 3.5 yards per carry, and short 1 TD of being double digits in that category. So, even as a washed up old man, he was better than Marion Barber ;)

Aikman played on an offense where he didn't have to throw the ball in the 2nd half usually. Project his first half numbers into what would have been if he had to throw the ball regularly in the 2nd half. Better yet, consider the stats he may have been able to put up if he was on a team where he had to throw more.

Michael Irvin simply made superhuman catches in an era of football where defensive backs could actually go out and fight for the ball with the receiver. One of the true playmaking receivers in the NFL that would still be giving 100% on the field in the 4th quarter, down by 30.

Together, they formed one of the biggest dynasties in NFL history, and all you Cowboy haters can't stand it ;)

And that's all I got to say about that [/gump]

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I voted no based on the above stats given. Good stats, but the number of games played was low for the seasons meaning some durability issues. While the numbers are good, not sure they are great. No MVP's, no SB's....just not yet. Can't assume anything over the next 5 years either IMO....especially given the history of durability issues.

To be a HOF'r you have to recognized as being the best in your era. With Manning, Brady, Warner, Favre etc... I can't say that about McNabb. He is good but not HOF

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Most of you have figured out by now that this is Donovan McNabb.

Compare him for a second to another player at his same age, through 11 seasons since McNabb came out a year early.

Take a look at the numbers through 11 seasons...

Career record as a starter: 98 wins, 59 losses (0.624 win percentage)
Over 34,000 yards passing, 2400 rushing
TD / int ratio of 183:167 (1.10 ratio)
Career interception percentage of 3.4% per passes thrown
Career passer rating of 79.9 (53rd highest all time)
Career 7-6 playoff record with over 3000 yards and 16 TDs
One MVP
Five Pro Bowl appearances (same as McNabb)

Is this player a future HOFer? They have more wins than McNabb with the extra year but did also miss injury time and won a lower % of their games. A a few more yards, more then accounted for with the extra season. Less TDs (in more games), way more INTs, and a TD/int ratio that is twice as bad as McNabb's. Pretty average playoff performance. Did have the one MVP year. Definitely thought of as one of the best QBs of the era. Like McNabb, this player choked 3 times in the big game and has a reputation of being a good player but maybe not quite good enough to win the big one.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
McKnobb is not a hall of famer. With his injury propensity and lack of accolades, he'd need to win a couple of Super Bowls