Is this QB a future Hall of Famer, Part II?

Future Hall of Famer?

• Total voters

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Take a look at the numbers through 11 seasons...

Career record as a starter: 57 wins, 44 losses (0.564 win percentage)
Over 28,000 yards (passing and rushing)
TD / int ratio of 182:114 (1.60 ratio)
Career 260 passing yards / game (highest of any player in nfl history)
Career 65.4% completion percentage (2nd highest all time)
Top 40 in career pass completions, yards, and TDs at age 37
Career passer rating of 93.8 (4th best all time)
Two time league MVP
Career 7-2 playoff record with over 2700 yards and 19 TDs
Career 1-1 Super Bowl record with one MVP

Is this player a future Hall of Famer? Vote above before you scroll down below and see who you just voted in or out.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I would say yes. Good career, good playoff numbers, superbowl win, and the mvps don't hurt

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
I would say yes. Good career, good playoff numbers, superbowl win, and the mvps don't hurt
Numbers show inconsistency, but the huge years with the MVP's, 40+ TD years and SB win and appearances makes him standout.

This year doesn't hurt either. I say he's in, but needed this nyear for me to feel this way.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
warner was the best for 2 years. that is hardly an era. he doesnt belong in that group with manning, brady, and favre.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
Warner has been successful with every team he's played for. Every young QB that took his spot was, at one time or another, benched for Warner. He's led the lowly Cardinals to the a Conference Championship game, much like he led the Rams to the Super Bowl. He may be short on numbers, but his accomplishments far exceed that.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Warner has been successful with every team he's played for. Every young QB that took his spot was, at one time or another, benched for Warner. He's led the lowly Cardinals to the a Conference Championship game, much like he led the Rams to the Super Bowl. He may be short on numbers, but his accomplishments far exceed that.

This is hardly true. He got his chance with the Rams when Trent Green blew out his knee in a preseason game. He got his chance with the Cardinals when rookie Matt Leinart was not ready yet, and he actually lost the starting job to Leinart in camp as well last year. And as for New York, he actually started with the job, sucked, and then lost it to rookie Eli Manning.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
He didn't lose his job to Eli. That was never really his job. Warner was the stand in until Eli was ready. Besides, Warner won 5 of the 6 games the Giants won that year, and had a winning record when he was benched. Eli proceeded to lose 6 of the 7 games he started. He may have gotten beaten out by Leinert, but Leinert is sitting on the bench while Warner leads his team to a conference championship game. As far as St. Lousi goes, you're right, he only got a chance after Green went down, and all Warner did was win a Super Bowl.

Everyone keeps putting him down, and all he keeps doing is win. If he leads the cardinals to the Super Bowl this season, is this still an argument? If he wins the super bowl, is this still an argument?

He's a 2 time NFL MVP, a Super bwol MVP, he's won a Super Bowl, his career passer rating is 93.8 for god sakes.

Warner is 1 of only 6 NFL players to be named the NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP in the same season. here's a few more quick tidbits:

NFL Records
Second Highest Completion Percentage, Career (Min. 1500 attempts) - 65.75%
Highest Average Passing Yards Per Game, Career (Min. 100 games) - 261.2 yards/game
Most Yards Passing, Super Bowl - 414 yards vs. Tennessee Titans (only QB to pass for 400+ yards in the Super Bowl; also owns 2nd highest yardage total in Super Bowl with 365 against the New England Patriots)
Highest Rate of Games w/300+ Yards Passing (Min. 100 games played) - 45.2% 47/104)
Most Consecutive Games w/300+ Yards Passing - 6 (tied w/Steve Young and Rich Gannon[13]
Most Games with a Perfect Passer Rating, Career (regular season only) - 3 (tied w/Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger)
Only NFL quarterback to throw 40 touchdowns and win a Super Bowl in the same season (1999)

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay for tickles and grins....do we know for sure this is Warner? I know Da bomb puts it that you need to vote before you scroll down and see who it is..but is it posted somewhere I am missing?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
yes, the numbers belong to kurt warner, and i guess im the only dissenting vote here.

i just dont see how you elect a guy whose career consists (so far) of 3 great seasons. yeah those are 3 really good seasons with great stats and a good playoff run, but there is no depth of years there. his 4th best year ever is last year, racking up lots of yardage (3400 yards in 11 starts) but for an abysmal team that it didnt matter for. outside of last year, he has only one more year where he had over 3000 yards passing or over 20 pass TDs. and thats not setting the bar high in nfl where any pocket qb that plays a full healthy season can usually get 3000/20 pretty easily. in the other 6 seasons, warner only even had double digit TDs (11) once.

if you are making the hall of fame such that 2 or 3 great years gets you there, doesnt that mean a lot more guys should be there? terrell davis comes to mind. the guy had 3 great years in a row, won an mvp, a super bowl mvp, and 2 rings... but had an essentially 4-year career because the injuries added up and he retired. he finished his career 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (incuding the injury plagued seasons) behind only jim brown and barry sanders. warner has one extra year plus a smattering of other crappy ones and he should go to the HOF, and yet terrell davis doesnt even get a whiff?

i guess i just see the HOF as a test of longevity as much as a lot of other things, and warner doesnt have that.

Phicinfan

Administrator
yes, the numbers belong to kurt warner, and i guess im the only dissenting vote here.

i just dont see how you elect a guy whose career consists (so far) of 3 great seasons. yeah those are 3 really good seasons with great stats and a good playoff run, but there is no depth of years there. his 4th best year ever is last year, racking up lots of yardage (3400 yards in 11 starts) but for an abysmal team that it didnt matter for. outside of last year, he has only one more year where he had over 3000 yards passing or over 20 pass TDs. and thats not setting the bar high in nfl where any pocket qb that plays a full healthy season can usually get 3000/20 pretty easily. in the other 6 seasons, warner only even had double digit TDs (11) once.

if you are making the hall of fame such that 2 or 3 great years gets you there, doesnt that mean a lot more guys should be there? terrell davis comes to mind. the guy had 3 great years in a row, won an mvp, a super bowl mvp, and 2 rings... but had an essentially 4-year career because the injuries added up and he retired. he finished his career 3rd all time in rushing yards per game (incuding the injury plagued seasons) behind only jim brown and barry sanders. warner has one extra year plus a smattering of other crappy ones and he should go to the HOF, and yet terrell davis doesnt even get a whiff?

i guess i just see the HOF as a test of longevity as much as a lot of other things, and warner doesnt have that.
You make great points. However, maybe to me the kicker is the perseverance and the production for more than one team. Yes, he was and incredible year or two for St. Louis. The off years were due to injury mostly. Then the move to NY Giants, where he was ONLY a stop gap to get to Eli. Not really given a shot to produce. He goes to Arizona, again with the intention of being a stop gap and he once again is healthy and explodes. He could have given up, and walked away and taken a check. But instead he comes through the adversity, to once again produce huge numbers and be a canidate for MVP. Add to that his chance to take another team to a superbowl...and to me that is HOF. Add to that the records associated with him and you have a good record to call on.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
You make great points. However, maybe to me the kicker is the perseverance and the production for more than one team. Yes, he was and incredible year or two for St. Louis. The off years were due to injury mostly. Then the move to NY Giants, where he was ONLY a stop gap to get to Eli. Not really given a shot to produce. He goes to Arizona, again with the intention of being a stop gap and he once again is healthy and explodes. He could have given up, and walked away and taken a check. But instead he comes through the adversity, to once again produce huge numbers and be a canidate for MVP. Add to that his chance to take another team to a superbowl...and to me that is HOF. Add to that the records associated with him and you have a good record to call on.
:payattention

Great insight and where I tend to land. Guy just keeps on getting off the map and doing what no one gives him a shot to do!

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
so hes a HOFer because no one knew who he was and expectations were always low?

so if instead he had been a 1st round pick, he'd probably be considered a bust or a "wonder what could've been" by now with all the time missed. but because the guy bagged groceries for awhile, hes a HOFer instead.

i love the guy, i just dont buy that.

great story, great guy. but that doesnt punch a HOF ticket for me.

Phicinfan

Administrator
so hes a HOFer because no one knew who he was and expectations were always low?

so if instead he had been a 1st round pick, he'd probably be considered a bust or a "wonder what could've been" by now with all the time missed. but because the guy bagged groceries for awhile, hes a HOFer instead.

i love the guy, i just dont buy that.

great story, great guy. but that doesnt punch a HOF ticket for me.
Uh, where exactly did I mention the bagged groceries part? It had nothing to do with what I said. I think you need to READ what is there, not interpret what you think you see.

Yes, he was undrafted. That to me only effects the St. Louis situation. To me the perseverence comes in when he was basically kicked out of St. Louis...and run out on a rail...but comes back with Giants...and again is run out on a rail...but comes back again and blows up again for Arizona.

Longevity is useful here as well. He isn't a spring chicken, but keeps coming back for more.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i read what was there. i asked an honest question in feedback though. if he was a high draft pick with high expectations, would we really be talking about HOF with him? wouldnt he be a journeyman qb who could never stick with one team, whose talents shined through at times but always made you wonder "what if" he had played healthy and at the top of his game his whole career? wouldnt his story ultimately be one of disappointment as much as success?

i think it all has to do with the story. mcnabb was a top 5 pick that has played in big markets for big teams and was expected to be a star on a winning team every year. warner came from out of nowhere as this great guy, played for two teams that no one expected anything of, and makes for a great cinderella story. and this is not about just mcnabb vs warner, but do you really think that idea and concept here isnt what is driving you to make the HOF vote here, and what's driving you way from it in the mcnabb thread? its an honest question.

Phicinfan

Administrator
i think it all has to do with the story. mcnabb was a top 5 pick that has played in big markets for big teams and was expected to be a star on a winning team every year. warner came from out of nowhere as this great guy, played for two teams that no one expected anything of, and makes for a great cinderella story. and this is not about just mcnabb vs warner, but do you really think that idea and concept here isnt what is driving you to make the HOF vote here, and what's driving you way from it in the mcnabb thread? its an honest question.
Easy to answer here.

First, for all the success McNabb has had, he has not won a championship, and instead has shown the ability to "choke" in big games. He also has not had the same level of adversity that Warner has had. He has been pampered and carried on the same team his whole career. Now, if he wins this year, and takes the final step.....that might change my mind.

Like Warner or not, you have to acknowledge what he has done. He has won league MVPs, he has won Superbowl MVPs, he has won superbowls, and he has carried multiple teams to the playoffs. He also has had huge seasons of passing. Yes, he has been an outcast at times, but he has returned and been just as strong. To me that warrents the award.