Is Roger Goodell crippling players in his tenure?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Actually, I thinks it's a perfectly justifiable line of thinking. We're not talking about a starving child in a 3rd world country or a second generational breast cancer patient. These men choose their own paths.

Sure, it might be a love for the game or even the only thing they were ever good at, but money, fame, and glory has a lot to do with it. The hero worship often starts at the high school level and the risks aren't hidden. You can expect me or anyone else to feel sorry for someone who cashed the checks and now has brain trauma.

The league minimum salary pays a player $2,070,000 for their 1st 4 years in the league. That's the MINUMUM! You know how many years the average American has to work to earn that amount? 46 years! Essentially their entire career at the national average.

It would only get to the disgusting level if we started talking about the guys who are actually on the field absorbing a lot of these hits. Their pay is typically far beyond the league minimum.

There are few chosen professions where I'm going to feel sorry for the unlucky people who take the worst of the risks involved. Only one that comes to mind are the men and women enlisted in our armed forces. Compare their pay checks to these pussy NFL cry babies and start talking about risks.

End of argument.
Just to be clear, so because they make big money, we are okay with them risking their lives?!?!?

Sorry that is just stupid. I do agree the pay seems unfair, and I think those who are fire fighters or police or teachers much better deserve the money.

But the money is not the issue. The issue raised was the commissioner is purposely trying to get these players hurt. That is not the case. They are trying to reduce those injuries, and don't want to see a player killed.

My issue is with ownership. They HAVE the money, and there is Technology out there to solve some of these issues, but they don't want to spend it. That is the real shame here.

but I tell you this, we are damn close to having a player killed on the field. IF that happens, the sport WILL get changed, and not for the better. We are much better off trying to fix this now, rather than panic then.

ExperiencedRookie

I think "risking their lives" is a little strong. There's currently a higher probability that I'll get killed on the freeway while driving to work than that any of them will die on the field this weekend.

And yes, if the case was that there's a 0.0001% risk of their life...I am ok with it. No one is forcing them to do this. Seems a little silly to talk about spending a ton of money on preventing the death of 1 person that might not even happen, especially when millions of ppl die far more senselessly.

I know I'm going to the extreme here. Kind of playing devils advocate

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
The issue raised was the commissioner is purposely trying to get these players hurt. That is not the case. They are trying to reduce those injuries, and don't want to see a player killed.
Actually the issue raised was one of what's called "unintended consequences". That means knee-shots are a byproduct of the rule change, not a primary decision to hurt someone's knees.
It's a byproduct, a consequence of this stupid, idiotic commissioner's quest to limit lawsuits. He is too stupid to see the consequences of this action ahead of time, not deliberately trying to cause the consequence. The players now have to live with his stupidity, is all I'm saying.

A friend told me while golfing yesterday the NFL should adopt Australian football rules, no striking above the shoulders, nor hitting below the knees. They just wear shorts and a t-shirt and still play ruggedly. Just a thought.

Last edited:

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
Bullshit asshole. Goodell didn't fine anyone for the helmet to helmet hit to Ben Roethlisberger Sunday night on the last play of the game. Oh I know how it works, those are fined except those who hit Ben. Then those are fine.

Free concussions everyone! Take your shots~