Is Matt Cassell as good as he seemed??

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
So let's talk Matt Cassell. Is he as good as it seemed or was he a product of the system in NE? If he goes to Minny or KC, will he be the real deal or a real big bust? What do you think of Cassel outside of NE?

Runnik's Hambones

It's a combination of both. I don't think that Cassel is a Derek Anderson, because there's age involved there. That's why I'd say that Cassel's a bit better than Anderson for that reason alone. His best football is still ahead of him IMO, not the case for Anderson.

Thigpen deserves another year, I agree with that. Especially with the style of offense that's been buzzing for KC next year. They brought in a good GM in Pioli, and a really good HC from Arizona. These guys are going to get the ball down the field, and I think that Thigpen can do well there.

If I had to associate Cassel with another QB in the NFL as far as numbers, I think he can be an average Matt Schaub. I see him putting up those kinds of numbers. Not low, but not magnificent. Enough to maintain a starting job somewhere.

If he stays in NE however, he has the opportunity to be GREAT! I wrote about this in another thread. I think that if he were to be the future QB in NE, he could reach HOF status.

So, to answer your question, yes he's a product of the system when we look at his overall potential. But the kid is good nonetheless.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I personally feel he is a Qb of the system. Take him out of NE, with the line and Wrs they have...and he won't succeed. Just my opinion..but call it a gut feel.

Mike

Administrator
Cassell is on a team with possibly the best coaching and structure in the league. Is there any team more disciplined than the Patriots? This team suffered key injuries, including losing possibly the best QB in the league, and they still go 11-5.

The guy is playing behind a very good offensive line, and throwing to a couple of the top receivers in the league. Yes, I consider Wes Welker one of the top receivers in the league due to his importance to a team (the guy is a possession machine that can bail you out of damn near any 3rd down situation, and in his role is almost impossible to cover)

I'm not going to say Cassell can't excel outside of this system, but the risk is very high. If a G.M. gambles and Cassell turns out to be a solid franchise receiver, he looks like a genius. If he fails, the G.M. looks like a fool and sets a franchise back another 5 years due to what it is going to cost to get him.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
including losing possibly the best QB in the league

ooorrrr is he?! :worried3:

I'm not trusting Cassel outside the confines of the Patriots organization, and even then wonder if you get the same results had McDaniels left last year. I will give him some credit in that he seemed to learn and grow faster than some established quarterbacks, so he's certainly coachable.

dukdown

Banned
The thing about Cassel, is he has good NFL size, good mobility, showed good poise and maturity, and leadership. The Schaub comparison is pretty fair, though Schaub had even less experience than Cassel does, when Houston traded for him. In fairness, a successful QB needs certain elements to be successful, and of course NE has those elements in place. There's maybe only a handful of teams that are as complete as the Patriots, so it would be hard to see him going someplace and turning the franchise around, again, maybe more stabilizing a position, as Schaub did in Houston, while they put the other pieces in place. I personally would like to see him in Seattle, with the Seahawks drafting Crabtree at #4.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Matt Cassel is really nothing special. The Patriots just franchised him as an insurance policy - BB doesn't want to bring in someone new and have them learn the system all over again 2 years straight.

I don't trust him one bit outside of the Patriots organization. Frankly, I was expecting more from him after Brady went down and he didn't live up to my expectations given the talent that surrounded him.

Runnik's Hambones

Wow, I can understand feeling like he wont be as good in another system, becuase that's how I feel as well. But I actually think he's a decent QB. Better than many that are starting elsewhere.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Matt Cassel is really nothing special. The Patriots just franchised him as an insurance policy - BB doesn't want to bring in someone new and have them learn the system all over again 2 years straight.

I don't trust him one bit outside of the Patriots organization. Frankly, I was expecting more from him after Brady went down and he didn't live up to my expectations given the talent that surrounded him.
wow, you had some pretty high expectations for him then. Once he got a feel for the game he was very good in the system, about as good as you can expect form someone with his experience.

Look at his numbers in November and December, they were great!

9 games
2331 yds
14 TD's
5 INT's
61.8 comp %

That is a pace of 4144, 25 TD's, 9 INT's over 16 games. Heck of a finish for a guy who had not started since HS, I don't care what his supporting cast was.

That said, my conclusion is the same as yours, I'm not jumping up and down about him outside of NE.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think outside the Pats organization he is a 3000 yard passer with around 17 TDs and 15 INTs. Nothing to get your junk in an uproar over, but serviceable.

In any event, with proper investment Mr. Cassel will take his $14 million and be set for life. Not bad for one year of work and a lot of years of being the backup.

Runnik's Hambones

I think outside the Pats organization he is a 3000 yard passer with around 17 TDs and 15 INTs. Nothing to get your junk in an uproar over, but serviceable.

In any event, with proper investment Mr. Cassel will take his $14 million and be set for life. Not bad for one year of work and a lot of years of being the backup.

Could not agree more.