Is Matt Cassel a 2011 Fantasy Sleeper?

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
Dwayne Bowe caught 15 touchdowns last year. Jamaal Charles is a versatile back with good pass catching ability. Tony Moeaki is an emerging tight end in the NFL. Jonathan Baldwin is now their #2 WR.

Add to this the fact that Matt Cassel scored an average of 20.5 fantasy points per week (4td/25yard) from Week 10 to Week 17 last season. He's being overlooked in most draft discussions, but the talent around him is too good to ignore.

What do you think?

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
The only thing I am worried about is not having Charlie Weis. He is the reason Cassel did what he did last year.

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
The only thing I am worried about is not having Charlie Weis. He is the reason Cassel did what he did last year.

The Chiefs had one of the most conservative offenses in the league last year, though. They've already indicated that they want to air it out more. It's going to be hard to stop an offense with Charles, Bowe, Moeaki and Baldwin.

*shrug*

anyways, it looks like nobody agrees with me.

Coachnorm

I like him a lot. I am not a grab an elite QB early guy unless there is a dramatic fall right into my lap. Cassell is firmly entrenched near the top of my next tier of QBs that could fill the bill after those elite QBs. My admiration for Cassell is such that I don't really consider him a sleeper myself, but hope for drafting purposes that others take him lightly.

gruntbusters

hehehe...heheheh..hehe...
I project he gets hurt mid-season and Stanzi steps in and pulls a Romo and becomes the next fantasy stud!

<---- Hawkeye homer

Remote Controller

I think Cassell is the perfect QB to take as late as you can get him as your #2 QB. You could get one hell of a valaue for a guy who could push top 10 #'s. Great backup QB to take after grabbing one of the stud Qb's so you can build the core of your lineup, or you can double up Qb's back to back around a turn and land....say Cutler/Cassell. The Chiefs are headed in the right direction, and Cassell is going to get the first chance to take this team to the promised land, but Stanzi is a capable backup and I wouldn't want to get hurt and let him get his foot in the door either.

Little Big Head

Jetsfan4life
I haven't checked their schedule but last year was a cupcake schedule vs opposing pass defenses. Losing Weiss was also a major blow IMO and I don't trust Haley to stay out of the play calling. Don't like him as a sleeper

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Spoke with Chad Hastings of Austin's ESPN 104.9 The Horn regarding this.

Chad feels Cassel could be a great sleeper this year and loves his weapons available.

The Raider 13

I've never liked Cassel -- he really blew an opportunity in New England by not following a tried and proven program. He threw a TD to Moss soon after he came into the game; but then DIDN'T throw to either Moss or Welker for almost the rest of the season -- in fact -- he threw to other team a lot. I don't think he is a fast learner, he got off to slow start in KC -- obviously the people around him are good; but I don't trust him. I would take Bowe and Charles BUT avoid Cassel like the plague.

bobbeaux

sounds like he's 2nd tier w/ top tier potential then, right? . . . that kinda sounds like a sleeper . . . lol