GM for the day - Detroit

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Okay, time to play GM for the day. No, I am not a pro football expert. Heck, I am not even a fantasy football expert. But I do think there are some simple fixes to put in place that must be done to make a team better. I am going to look at a few teams that really need help...and see what I can come up with.

First Front office.

Detroit needs a GM. They finally have seen the light and have gotten rid of Millen. I think a really savy GM type could be Pioli or even Heckert. But I doubt either will take it, or even be offered the job.

For HC. I am a firm believer you need a defensive minded HC to turn a team around. A no non-sense type that will build a team by fixing the Lines and having a solid defense. To me...this clearly is a perfect fit for either Rex Ryan or Ron Rivera. Both are defensive geniuses, who have had experience with solid HCs and know what it takes to win a title.

Now on OFFENSE
Qb - NEED
They blew it by letting Kitna be lost. He would be a great care taker type Qb to let a young Qb learn and grow. I obviously not a Stanton fan...a running Qb may help keep the guy healthy...but when your best offensive tool is a Wr...you need a Qb that can get the ball out. So they have to get a Qb in. Who? Great question. For trade or FA you could do Derek Anderson, maybe Favre( yeah...right...), McNabb( no don't think so...). So do you draft a Qb? If so who? You have the #1 pick in the draft, with dire needs at all spaces. But Bradford from Okla and Matthew Stafford from Georgia are solid chances. But it is clear who they have won't work.

Rb - Starter set, depth needed
I am a Kevin Smith believer. I think he showed alot later in the season, and is a solid choice. I also am a Two rb system believer. So a scat type back or speed back to compliment Smith would be a solid idea in this draft. They need to let Rudi Johnson and Cason go.

Wr - Solid stud, and good supporting cast
You have to love Calvin Johnson. I also like McDonald and Furrey and Standeford. So Wr isn't a real need here.

Te - NEED
You have really nothing here. Fitzsimmons, Campbell, Owens and Gaines are not really the receiving TE that makes folks scared. So this is a real need, especially if you go with a young Qb for him to use as a security blanket. FA - Gonzales from KC could be a nice target to look at.

OL - NEED
Cherilus at RT had issues, but I think will eventually work out. Backus at LT is lost. G and C are about as bad. This really needs work. They have some decent players..but need help. Targeting OT with pick #1 may be a must. Andre Smith of Alabama if he comes out would be a great start for this team.

DEFENSE
DL - NEED
Avril and White at DE are servicable, but not necessarily top linemen. Overall the whole defense is a dire need. But starting with solid linemen is usually a need.

LB - NEED
Dizon and Sims and Who??? Assuming you stay at 4-3 defense...then they still need a real playmaker at Lb.

DB - NEED
Yuck. No further response here....you have two choices. Target better DBs...or maybe get some real DL for pressure to make it easier for what you have at Db. But they need real help here.

PK - Hanson is steady and reliable
P - Harris is serviceable.

DRAFT
I see some major targets needed on DL and OL. But Qb is something that can't be missed.

With the first pick they have options. Since there isn't a Qb that most HAVE to have, nor a Rb the same...I don't see a trade down. If they could trade down, and get Bradford or other later, AND the OT or DL they need...that would be awesome.

But they have to have a better LT, and they really need help at DL. Using the rest of the draft to address TE, DB as well.

All in all this team needs help. However, in this division, with the right coach...they could be decent. I don't see a Miami or Atlanta turn around...but then again...until they get a coach and GM...who knows

Mike

Administrator
I focus on both lines in the draft and free agency. Until I have these addressed, I am not concerned with quarterback. I go with what I have at quarterback in 2009, maybe sign a cheap veteran free agent if a decent one is available.

After OL and DL, my next focus is linebackers, then finally the secondary. If something of great value jumps at me regarding the secondary, I may go that direction, but I want to build the front 7 of that defense first and truly see what I need in the secondary.

As the GM, I am targeting Ron Rivera heavily as my head coach.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
OL & DL both need addressed, but if Stafford comes out, I'd take him. he's a franchise type QB IMO. Take your franchise QB and spend the rest on fixing the lines.

I'm right with ya on the HC, get a strong minded defensive coach.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
I think, bad as the defense is as well, I would spend my first two picks this year on the franchise tackle and a franchise QB. In that order. Andre Smith at the #1 spot and then get the QB you like later in the 1st with that extra pick from Roy Williams.

You get that, and your offense is now set up for the future with your key player at RB and WR already on board. Now you can spend the rest of the draft adding depth and mostly focusing on the defense. Bringing in a cheaper veteran or two along each of the lines would be a good idea, but it's hard to believe many vets will want to come and play for the Lions. I'm not sure a one year turn around is possible at this point. May need to get back to 5-7 wins and go from there.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I'd go with Stafford. Only a franchise quarterback could justify the price. The success of Ryan and Flacco are liable to influence the decision as well as fan support and ticket sales. The quality at tackle seems deeper than QB this year.

Maybe by Stafford's third year, the surrounding defense will be more talented and motivated.

dunno:

Runnik's Hambones

I'd go with Stafford then, OL. Extra picks from the Roy Williams deal should get them a good OL in this draft after grabbing a franchise QB.

Hollywoodnash

TO THE DEATH
Im a firm believer that drafting a QB with the first pick is never a good decision. An average QB can succeed if he has time to throw the ball. A team lives and dies with it's O-Line, irregardless of how good the "skill" position players are. If you can't block, it wouldn't matter if you had Joe Montana and Barry Sanders in the backfield, you're not going to be able to throw or run effectively. They get that O-line problem solved first otherwise, any young "franchise" QB you throw out there is going to end up like David Carr.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Well, Bradford deciding to stay in school may help Detroit out. If a Qb hungry team is really looking at Stafford......a trade may work now. I just don't see putting my whole team on Stafford. I think OT is a much safer and better option here.