General Roster Advice

Baldie

I'm in a 10 team league....standard scoring. I just need some general roster advice. Bye's are approaching for some of my guys and need some advice on who I can drop to pick up waivers without losing too much. This is the part that I hate. Week 8, 10 seems to be my biggest hits.

QB
Brees - Week 6 bye
RB
Foster - Week 10 bye
Morris - Week 10 bye
F Jackson - Week 9 bye
Ivory - Week 11 bye
Miller - possibly going to lose carries after week 5 bye when moreno supposedly returns
WR
Jones - Week 9 bye
Crabtree - Week 8 bye
Hopkins - Week 10 bye
Benjamin - Week 12 bye
Welker
TE
Witten - Week 11 bye
Donnell - Week 8 bye

Available on waivers:
RB - Forsett, Rainey, Mckinnon
WR - Hurns, Royal. Wheaton, Jennings

With Bree's on bye after week 5, was thinking about dropping Miller (on bye anyway) this week for Eli. Then dropping Eli for hopefully one of these RB's on WW if still available.

Any advice suggestions is really appreciated. I just don't want to lose much as these byes approach and trying to plan ahead.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
would definately grab Eli(never thought I would say that.....) but not sure Miller is the drop. Std league so are we talking a line up of:
1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1 te and 1 K and 1 DST?

If so you are set at Te. Need back up QB. Rb With Foster(when he plays), Ivory, Fakcosn and Morris(when he plays) you are okay.
Wr : Jones, Benjamin look to be set, then you jockey on Crabtree or Hopkins?

Of those listed on WW, only Hurns really interests me in std. scoring. Forsett is solid in PPR, but not std. Rainey seems to lost worth with Martin back. McKinnon is change of pace, don't let last week fool you. HC is locked on Asiata. I don't trust Royal or Jennings.

so I would get your back up Qb, and maybe drop Welker or Hopkins for Hurns. just me. AS for Miller, you can afford to drop him for Eli then see what you can get next week.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
The talent difference between McKinnon and Asiata is a mile wide and unless the coach is a nut he will be starting before the season is out. Eli is a good pick up or so it appears. I'd dump Whitten who has more or less become a blocking TE for the CowGirls impressive running game. After Whitten I'd say that Welker is the next most droppable player on your team.

Phicinfan

Administrator
The talent difference between McKinnon and Asiata is a mile wide and unless the coach is a nut he will be starting before the season is out. Eli is a good pick up or so it appears. I'd dump Whitten who has more or less become a blocking TE for the CowGirls impressive running game. After Whitten I'd say that Welker is the next most droppable player on your team.
Then you do not know the new HC, he is a vet supporter, and has already stated he does not feel McKinnon is ready for a full load this year.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I know that coaches say a lot of things that they end up back tracking own. Borttles and his red shirt year for an example. Asiata will remain the goal line back IMO but he's a plodder with no real talent other than the ability to fall forward when he goes down. He'll retain some value for that reason alone. McKinnon is a heck of an athlete and he's showing it to the world a little more each week. There is the AP angle to consider when dealing with this teams RB's because we really don't know if he'll be back this year or not.

Phicinfan

Administrator
I know that coaches say a lot of things that they end up back tracking own. Borttles and his red shirt year for an example. Asiata will remain the goal line back IMO but he's a plodder with no real talent other than the ability to fall forward when he goes down. He'll retain some value for that reason alone. McKinnon is a heck of an athlete and he's showing it to the world a little more each week. There is the AP angle to consider when dealing with this teams RB's because we really don't know if he'll be back this year or not.
yes, you make a great point. I liken this to Carolina a few years ago, and Denver last year. The HC there feels for a vet to lose the job he has to be beaten out. That isn't the case here. Mike Zimmer is an old fashion coach just like John Fox. He won't take away carries from Asiata, for a "change of pace" back like McKinnon, his words not mine. Like it or not, I don't think Zimmer sees McKinnon that way.