Fishing Boat Missing with 3 NFL players on it..

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
5:14 p.m.: The only man rescued so far from an overturned boat in the Gulf of Mexico told Coast Guard investigators a bizarre story about the fate of the other three.

Nick Schuyler, 24, told investigators that about two to four hours after their boat capsized Saturday in rough seas, one of the two professional football players gave up hope and let himself be swept away, according to family members of two of the missing men.

A few hours later, the second one did the same.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will, 25, is also still missing.

With former Tampa Bay Buccaneers Marquis Cooper and Corey Smith gone, only Schuyler and Bleakley remained clinging to the boat.

Then, sometime Monday morning, Will Bleakley thought he saw a light in the distance and decided to take off his life jacket and swim to it, hoping to get help.

"I think he was delusional to think he could swim someplace," Bleakley said.

Ray Sanchez, Cooper's cousin, said the Coast Guard told him the same thing, but cautioned against taking Schuyler's story as gospel at this point.

"We're not 100 percent sure where his head was at," Sanchez said. "He'd been through a lot."

---Craig Pittman and Brant James, Times staff writers

mills

I'm a bit skeptical about this "taking off the life vest and drifting away" story... after only 4 hours? C'mon....

Runnik's Hambones

You're right mills, 4 hours to loose all hope and will to live is extremely short, however, it is probable that hypothermia completely set in within an hour of being in the water. Remember the boat was turned over by the cold front that was sweeping into Florida, and put those waters down to freezing temps. Hypothermia will make you go insane, literally. Your body starts to shut down and your mind does too. I'm sure those 4 hours felt like days in that kind of cold, and you become extremely dilusional. One of the guys in the report said he saw a boat, so he took off his life vest and swam towards the light. Doesn't sound rational, but when you're in that situation, you aren't rational. It's extremely sad.