Falcons seeking to trade Michael Vick's rights

Runnik's Hambones

"With regards to Michael Vick, we've decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club," Dimitroff said in a Q & A with AtlantaFalcons.com. "We took a number of steps in the 2008 season, including using our first pick to draft a quarterback. We feel a trade is the best move for the Falcons, and it's also in the best interest of Michael.

"This has been a really unique situation from a variety of standpoints and because we will actively be involved in a trade situation, I don't envision our organization speaking any more about this subject publicly until it's reached a resolution."

What team do you think would trade to try and grab Vick? Any value left in Michael's tank as a starter in the NFL?

Atlanta Falcons preparing to trade Michael Vick's rights - ESPN

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think he has some value just for the "shock" alone. One year deal, vet minimum, bring him to camp and see what happens.

I know this will NEVER happen, but imagine a team like Minnesota or Chicago, who can run the ball well and play good defense, with Vick at the helm. He is just what the doctor ordered, being a guy who can run away fast and make the minimum throws.

efactor

Coming at you
Yeah, Vick in the same backfield as Peterson would be interesting. Fun to watch too........

Guy has always been an enigma to me. Great arm, throws a tight spiral. I have seen some of the most incredible passes from him while on the run. Just that small problem of accuracy when he's in the pocket. Big if, but if he could learn to control his arm and with his running ability, he could be an amazing QB. He's still relatively young (29 at start of season) and has had a couple years to let his body heal.

On the mental side, the question for me is. Has prison focked his head up and will the stigma of being a "dog killer" be too much to overcome? Or, will it have a positive effect in the sense that he now realizes how fortunate he was and will work hard to become both a better player and a better person?

I hope he gets another chance in the right situation where his potential can be maximized. Guy was an idiot, but he paid a pretty heavy price and deserves another chance. I wouldn't mind seeing SF take a chance on him at the right price. Maybe Singletary can scare him straight............

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I dont see there being a mental issue. He has had quite a bit of time to become accustomed to the idea of being called everything under the sun for the rest of his days.

I think in his eyes there is a chance to break even with his creditors and hopefully pile up another small fortune, maybe at best around 5-10 million that he can properly invest and at least have some sort of life living off the dividends.

Does the Hunt family in KC have the balls to try something like this?

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
no way I'd deal anything for him. Do you really want to have protests outside your facilities all training camp?? I just see the hassle being worth it. But if you do want him....just wait till Atlanta drops him, you know they will not keep him....

Mike

Administrator
If he were to show up in a Dallas Cowboy uniform, I would find it very difficult to watch the games or root for the team. Very likely I would treat them like a BCS bowl game and just go on boycott.

GFL Commissioner

Ultimate Commissioner
No team in their right mind would sign him; two scenarios

a) A really crappy team is in trouble (let's say the Detroit Lions), they need a lot of help and a person with talent that wants a shot. Michael Vick is their man because he needs a job again and he assumably still has the talent he once had. This team is trouble and if fans are already booing thteam because of how bad they are, how are they going to react if they sign him?

b) A really successful team signs him (Dallas Cowboys), it could lose a legion of fans because they let them down and signed someone who happens to be public enemy number #1 in not just the US, but in many other countries also. Marketing departments and PR people will find this signing a nightmare and parking lots for the stadium will no longer be tailgate parties, but protest parties. If they have to back out of the deal after the signing because the pressure is too great, I am assuming the GM will also need to resign or be fired for the organization to save face in such as way "This organization in no way believes that the signing of Michael Vick reflects our vision, therefore Mr. Blah Blah has been relieved of his duites/asked to resign."

Man...to be honest...it's just not worth it. I do beleive he deserves a chance to redeem himself. His crime was brutal and disgusting. I am totally against dog fighting because of how inhumane it is. I just think he had poor judgement, poor guidance and if he has realized all he has lost because of these so-called friends, he may have been seen an awakening and is no longer going to associate himself with them. It does happen.

Runnik's Hambones

How about scenerio number 3? A decent team (IE Minnisota), who is one QB away from a SB run, IMO, signs him and brings him into camp. He out plays Tavaras and Gus (not really much of a shocker if that happens), and Vick and Peterson become the most dangerous QB/RB threat in the league. The Vikings have a strong D (which is something Vick never had), and a better O-line than the Falcons ever had when he was starting there.

Look, it would take all the right parts to make this ship sail. A good run game, a good defense and a good O-line. I think that Vick can be placed in that offense much like TJ was except that he's a hell of a lot better.

Vick won't work everywhere, in fact, he'll hardly work anywhere. That's why I think the Vikings are the best choice.