Falcons acquired CB Asante Samuel from the Eagles

Coachnorm

Falcons acquired CB Asante Samuel from the Eagles in exchange for a late-round draft pick. The pick is believed to be a 2012 sixth-rounder (6.22), leaving Atlanta with just five selections in the 2012 draft, and none before the 55th choice. Samuel will presumably slide in at left cornerback, with Brent Grimes seeing slot work and Dunta Robinson manning the right side. Still a playmaker at age 31, Samuel has earned a Pro Bowl berth in four of the past five seasons while averaging 6.5 interceptions over the last six. The Falcons haven't upgraded their pass rush much, but they absolutely have a good-looking secondary.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I disagree. He is still a solid cover corner. Allows them to move Grimes to slot Cb when playing pass oriented teams like saints. Eagles got a 7TH round pick for a guy they were going to cut, due to salary cost. So kind of a win/win.

RLLD

I disagree. He is still a solid cover corner. Allows them to move Grimes to slot Cb when playing pass oriented teams like saints. Eagles got a 7TH round pick for a guy they were going to cut, due to salary cost. So kind of a win/win.

We can agree to disagree. :redface:

He is a 31 year old, increasingly injured corner who was a weak fit the Iggles system, missing 7 games over the last two years at his age is a concern. This works for the Iggles because they at least got something for the guy, and now Asomugha can play his style (as long as his recent injury is not serious).

The Falcon's needed another CB, no doubt, but did they "need" the likes of Samuel? No, not really. This is partially them putting pressure on Grimes to STFU and sign, which I think will work by the way. Samuel instantly puts the screws to the contract negotiations for Grimes.

Put simply, he will be 32 when the season starts, his coverage skills showed decline recently, he is a liability against the run, and I predict he gets exposed by opposing QB's this season. It's a nice thought on the part of the Falcons, but they are about to find out what the Iggles already know- he is not worth the money.

Arctic Dawgs

I think I read somewhere that he redid his contract for the Falcons as well

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
yes, he dropped from 21.5 million over two years to 17.5 base plus incentives over 2 years.

eaglechick

I'm back :)
asante did good things for us, he has been one of my favorite eagles, and i still believe he has some gas left in the tank.

that said, he did not fit our system anymore (non-blitzing) and was really something of a liability last season--although his coverage stats were surprisingly good, it seems he missed assignments playing "his" style, exposing the rest of the D (see the larry fitzgerald TD over jaiquan jarrett for a good example lol)

i wish he'd gone to the AFC, and that we'd gotten more for him (which i think he's worth), but apparently he was picky about restructuring his contract for certain interested teams (cough denver, tennessee). in any case i'm glad the deal is done. i wish him well, as far as i can wish the falcons well :thud:. we need the $$$ for shady and maclin