Dwayne Bowe: Value falling?

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Bowe is an excellent young reciever. He was a great draft choice for the Kansas City Chiefs, and we have all seen enough of the product to know Bowe is for real, and has the potential to be a consistent 85 catch 1100 yard 8 TD guy.

However, the advent of the "sickly spread" offense the Chiefs went with put a dent in Bowe's numbers. If Edwards is not fired, was this an exception or will this be the rule with Bowe's numbers?

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
how is this guy's stock falling?

last season as a rookie he put up 70/995/5.
this season as a soph, he put up 86/1022/7.

considering many players face a sophomore slump, im not sure i follow your logic here. bowe had a big increase in catches this year and had more TDs as well, and in a year where he played on a team with zero run game and had 3 different QBs throwing to him. despite all of that, he was one of only 13 receivers in the entire league to put up at least 1000 yards and 7 TDs. in fact, he and gonzo were the only pair in the league other than fitz/boldin to do this.

maybe you mean the first half of the season compared to the second.

first half: 42 catches, 541 yards, 3 TDs
second half: 44 catches, 481 yards, 4 TDs

one game over 100 yards in each half. everything pretty evenly spread out.

so far in his career, bowe has been on an arrow continuing to point up. and hes done it amidst the turmoil of a bad offense, terrible coaching, and a horrible team. i dont see whats not to like?

Mike

Administrator
I think the stock could potentially be temporarily falling because nobody knows what direction the Chiefs are moving in.

They ran out and got Pioli, which is drawing a pretty mixed reaction around the league. Nobody knows what this guy can do on his own. Popular opinion is that the guy who evaluated the talent went to Atlanta last season, the guy who made the actual decisions was and is Belichick, and Pioli was basically the numbers guy that put it all together.

So, what is Pioli? Can he judge talent? Is he just a numbers guy? And who the hell is going to coach this team?

This offseason can send the Chiefs in one of two directions, and currently, there is no good feeling either way as to which way they are going to go.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
how is this guy's stock falling?

last season as a rookie he put up 70/995/5.
this season as a soph, he put up 86/1022/7.

considering many players face a sophomore slump, im not sure i follow your logic here. bowe had a big increase in catches this year and had more TDs as well, and in a year where he played on a team with zero run game and had 3 different QBs throwing to him. despite all of that, he was one of only 13 receivers in the entire league to put up at least 1000 yards and 7 TDs. in fact, he and gonzo were the only pair in the league other than fitz/boldin to do this.

maybe you mean the first half of the season compared to the second.

first half: 42 catches, 541 yards, 3 TDs
second half: 44 catches, 481 yards, 4 TDs

one game over 100 yards in each half. everything pretty evenly spread out.

so far in his career, bowe has been on an arrow continuing to point up. and hes done it amidst the turmoil of a bad offense, terrible coaching, and a horrible team. i dont see whats not to like?

:nod:

Coachnorm

I am with Da_ Bomb and StorminOrm on this one. I think Bowe is the real deal and for awhile Mark Bradley was appearing to be ready to become a solid #2Wr until injury knocked him out for 1/2 the season

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Agree with the majority here, Bowe continue to be a consistent performer who does this despite an overall bad situation. If you look at his numbers from last year he was amazingly consistent. He only had two throw away games, week 13 & 16. In ppr scoring, he was a double digit scorer in EVERY other week. Sure, he has not given you many dominant weeks, but as the offense stabilizes, this will improve. This guy is on the rise IMO, not falling. Look for Bowe to accend into the top 10 next season IMO.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Sure, he has not given you many dominant weeks

Thats what I mean. Maybe I phrased it wrong, but as an owner it is a concern to me. To me, Bowe is a big time player, and I wonder if it will stay that way.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
id personally rather have the consistent solid points. theres only a few guys in the league who do that AND explode a few times a season, and they will be going in the 1st and 2nd rounds because of that. after that, i'll gladly take bowe's solid week by week production as a great WR2 or usable WR1 (if I've got strong RBs early).

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
again, I'm on the same page as Bomb. Give me the guy who I know I can count on that 10-15 pts a week from over the guy who sure, he may pop a 30 pt game in there, but he'll follow it up with two 5 pt weeks. They both will score around 40 in the same 3 week period, but the consistent guy is someone you can count on, the fickle one you just never know.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
again, I'm on the same page as Bomb. Give me the guy who I know I can count on that 10-15 pts a week from over the guy who sure, he may pop a 30 pt game in there, but he'll follow it up with two 5 pt weeks. They both will score around 40 in the same 3 week period, but the consistent guy is someone you can count on, the fickle one you just never know.

exactly. i want consistancy over 1 good week every 3 or 4 weeks

Coachnorm

quote_l.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller

exactly. i want consistency over 1 good week every 3 or 4 weeks

I'm with you two. I always loved having Keyshawn in a PPR league. You could get him cheap as a WR2 and he was a scoring anchor in my WR corps.