Deshaun Watson - news and rumors

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
As this seems to be taking up an entire news stream of its own, I decided to break out what exactly is going on.

So far:
12 Civil lawsuits have been filed against Deshaun. Of them, only 3 I believe are sexual assault claims, the rest are claims of sexual harassment or improper actions.
Per the lawyer for the women who are filing the suits, there could be an additional 10 suits to be filed.

All of these suits seem to be happening in early 2020. so they waited a year to file. That isn't anything out of the ordinary, as some women continue to be intimidated if these charges are true, and or don't want their identities all over the news.

So far only civil charges have been filed, but the lawyer(Buzbee) says he will send a packet to the law enforcement with the information he has.
Per the law, criminal charges can be filed if they are warranted, but you can't have civil and criminal cases happening at the same time.

As for his status with Houston Texans.
To date they have said they won't trade him. However, they have signed FA Qb Tyrod Taylor and traded with the Bengals for Finley.

Now it is coming out that Watson has a list of 4 or 5 teams that he is willing to go to, and supposedly he has a no trade clause.
Two of the teams are known - Denver and San Francisco.
supposedly other teams - Carolina, Chicago(rumor only) and now Philadelphia are making a big push, but it is not known who is on the full list.

Per a radio report I heard today - he does NOT want to go to NY Jets or Miami.

But I am hearing more and more that a trade will happen. He is adamant that he will not play for Houston any longer, period.

Phicinfan

Administrator
okay now have found a different article that says he does have the Jets, Dolphins and Panthers on his list

Phicinfan

Administrator
per another report they also say San Fran and Denver are on the list.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Up to 13 lawsuits now filed against Deshaun Watson
NFL - some are wondering if they will place him on the suspended paid list while this plays out
HOU - report from local reporter still expect Watson to be dealt, now however, they think it could wait til trade deadline or before draft of 2022

Phicinfan

Administrator
Okay,
Here is my $0.02

IF someone is going to trade for Watson, they have to have a Qb in hand, in case you have a suspension issue or the civil suit things keep going.

Per reports, the choices he has supposedly given for trade approval - Denver - Sorry, just don't have the trade capitol to do it. San Francisco - same here. Yes, they could include Jimmy G in the deal, but they have no other real Qb options on the roster and no real picks to trade. I will add at their spot Houston would have no shot at one of the top qbs quite probably. Carolina - maybe. This is a maybe. One they could add Bridgewater in the deal, and work with Walker(the back up) if Watson is not available. At #8 there is still a great shot for Houston to maybe get Trey Lance or Mac Jones. I will add Carolina is not afraid to get aggressive. Miami - I am going to say no here. Why? They have the draft picks, but I don't see Houston wanting Tua. Now, could they leave Tua with Miami and just go picks? Sure, but Miami can't afford both Tua and Watson on the books. I also don't see too many knocking down doors to get Tua.

So, that leaves us NY Jets. Jets have a ton of picks to deal, they can offer the #2 pick to Houston who could get any of the top Qbs in this draft NOT named Trevor Lawrence(or god forbid Jags screw it up and CAN get Lawrence...). Add to that NY can keep Darnold as he is on the last year of his deal, and can use him if Watson faces any suspension, and if it goes to next year, they could pick up the option for Darnold.

So to me the deal has to be the Jets. Carolina may sneak in, but I am thinking if Houston does a deal its going to be with the Jets.

Remote Controller

What are all ya all's thoughts on if any franchise would even consider him at this point? I do not know, in the current environment, if rostering him might not be a very bad business decision, and one that might get you fired.

Phicinfan

Administrator
What are all ya all's thoughts on if any franchise would even consider him at this point? I do not know, in the current environment, if rostering him might not be a very bad business decision, and one that might get you fired.
Its a legitimate concern. My guess is most of these cases will be dismissed, as part of a normal masseuse happening(which I have heard is correct...but I don't know personally). But the 3-4 that actually charge sexual assault will probably make some nervous.

That being said, there have been some who have abused women, on tape, and got signed again. So you may lose him for half a season or maybe a full season...but then you get him after that. So I think there are a few who may take the chance.

Then again, it may wait til after season has started, say trade deadline.

Phicinfan

Administrator
So the plot thickens....
Per a report - one of Deshaun's agents implied that one of the accusers attempted to black mail Deshaun for a consensual sexual act for $30,000. His Lawyer released a statement saying the defense refuses to share the names of all the accusers so the defense can look into things, but then stated they have identified ONE of the accusers - and then went into the attempted black mail scheme.

So much for this going quietly....

Phicinfan

Administrator
16 cases filed, still no evidence sent to the Police or DA.

Phicinfan

Administrator
3 more cases have been filed against Deshaun Watson - and one of the latest three charge him with purposely deleting Instagram Posts and reaching out to plaintiffs to settle.

Total cases are 19 now.

Phicinfan

Administrator
3 more cases have been filed against Deshaun Watson - and one of the latest three charge him with purposely deleting Instagram Posts and reaching out to plaintiffs to settle.

Total cases are 19 now.
This is interesting - per sources none of Deshaun's Watson's sponsors have dropped him.
Add to that, his Lawyer has come out and stated definitively that they have made no move to settle any of the claims as the one suit suggests.

Walter34

Very disappointing story - bigmarc from our IBL team is / was his biggest fan. I don't follow college but did watch him whenever I could and REALLY wanted the Bears to draft him instead of MT. Also would have supported selling the farm in a trade for him earlier in the off season

Not to try and convict him yet, but it doesn't look good

Phicinfan

Administrator
Very disappointing story - bigmarc from our IBL team is / was his biggest fan. I don't follow college but did watch him whenever I could and REALLY wanted the Bears to draft him instead of MT. Also would have supported selling the farm in a trade for him earlier in the off season

Not to try and convict him yet, but it doesn't look good
I don't disagree all that much. I usually am a believer in if there is smoke there is usually some fire. My guess is some of this is true, I doubt the forced sex, but the other stuff may be true. He will probably get some kind of a slap on the wrist, may get some suspension time. But this will drag out for quite some time.

Key issues for me - Buzzbee the lawyer for the folks suing won't share any information(name of victim and other things) at all with the defense. If this were all that blatant, that should have happened. To date the plaintiff's also have not sent the information to the police as they said they would.

This is going to drag out for a while. The fact none of the sponsors that pay Watson have pulled out also has me wondering as well

Phicinfan

Administrator
And now it has been released that Buzbee won't share information with law enforcement, supposedly questioning who is running that group and a few other things. This is starting to smell a bit.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Now DeShaun's lawyer has released statements from 18 Masseuses that say Watson was no issue

Phicinfan

Administrator
Per report, Houston police now investigating Deshaun Watson after one of the claimants filed a report