Cutcliffe says F U Michigan

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
When the head of FOOTBALL at Duke (David Cutcliffe) turns down a blue-blood (Michigan) maybe it’s not a blue-blood anymore.

MongerKhan

TXL: Pimp Hand Strong
Staff member
Why leave a solid good Duke team for an absolute train wreck of a team in Michigan who has been ruined over the last decade?

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I guess if the man is happy playing against weaker opponents it is his business and his track record there has been pretty impressive. What would really be impressive though is to go turn a sleeping giant around such as Saban did at LSU and Alabama. Someone is going to do it, someday. They will not stay down forever.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Michigan isn't a total loss, they have had some excellent recruiting. They just need the right coach to mold the talent. This isn't Indiana, or Illinois or Perdue, just like OSU, you just restock, you don't have to totally rebuild.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
I hope so Mav. I love seeing the greats knocked from their thrones but it's not good, IMO, for football for them to stay down too long and it's been too long, IMO, already. Not to mention I'd like to see Michigan State and Ohio State have to play someone legitimate again. :eek:

maverick824

The chatter I'm hearing right now is.......I guess the proper term would be "hopeful." I started this offseason with basically a next to 0% chance we'd end up with Harbaugh. A lot of the local rumblings say that deal is far from dead, and a lot of the actions regarding this situation are adding up. I personally still feel it is far far from a lock just yet, but there's a lot of smoke billowing into the air for there not to be a fire.

If Harbaugh legitimately had zero interest at all, he would be on record of it. He wouldn't string along UM and hamper them. Make no mistake, Michigan's "search" is being delayed by something. That something would be Harbaugh interest. Next, the Les Miles "unofficial" denial of the job. Miles would definitely know something through his contacts at UM, and Harbaugh interest would definitely make him not a candidate to return at all. Despite all of Miles' press posturing, everyone knows he would take the job if offered. This has never been in doubt. What's killed Miles is his standing with the major boosters, always has, not sure why. Harbaugh (through his agent) has also been in contact with key personnel in and around the program. This isn't dead by a long shot. Michigan only has 6 recruits on board (4 4 star commits and 2 3 star commits). Michigan is advising a lot of commits to hold off until after the 1st of the year. We've now entered the dead period of contact for recruiting, so they have plenty of time for Harbaugh to make a decision and have it impact recruiting somewhat.

Is it possible he is leveraging a Michigan offer against the 49ers to be traded to Miami? Very. Oakland isn't happening, and neither is the Jets. Very possible if the 49ers try to trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go, he simply goes to Michigan, middle fingers extended to all. The rumored offer being floated out there is for 8 years, 56 mil, plus a buyout, and Hackett removes the "interim" tag from his AD title. Puts him in Saban territory moneywise.

As it sits today, I think the "list" for UM looks like this.....

1A,B,C,D and E - Harbaugh
2 - Miles
3 - Dan Mullen (no extension signed yet.....)
4 - swings at very unlikely names being spun out there (Bob Stoops, Sean Payton, etc)

then......if they completely botch this whole setup.....

5 - Greg Schiano (may come off there if he agrees with Pitt)
6 - .......god help us?

bodey24

Staff member
The chatter I'm hearing right now is.......I guess the proper term would be "hopeful." I started this offseason with basically a next to 0% chance we'd end up with Harbaugh. A lot of the local rumblings say that deal is far from dead, and a lot of the actions regarding this situation are adding up. I personally still feel it is far far from a lock just yet, but there's a lot of smoke billowing into the air for there not to be a fire.

If Harbaugh legitimately had zero interest at all, he would be on record of it. He wouldn't string along UM and hamper them. Make no mistake, Michigan's "search" is being delayed by something. That something would be Harbaugh interest. Next, the Les Miles "unofficial" denial of the job. Miles would definitely know something through his contacts at UM, and Harbaugh interest would definitely make him not a candidate to return at all. Despite all of Miles' press posturing, everyone knows he would take the job if offered. This has never been in doubt. What's killed Miles is his standing with the major boosters, always has, not sure why. Harbaugh (through his agent) has also been in contact with key personnel in and around the program. This isn't dead by a long shot. Michigan only has 6 recruits on board (4 4 star commits and 2 3 star commits). Michigan is advising a lot of commits to hold off until after the 1st of the year. We've now entered the dead period of contact for recruiting, so they have plenty of time for Harbaugh to make a decision and have it impact recruiting somewhat.

Is it possible he is leveraging a Michigan offer against the 49ers to be traded to Miami? Very. Oakland isn't happening, and neither is the Jets. Very possible if the 49ers try to trade him somewhere he doesn't want to go, he simply goes to Michigan, middle fingers extended to all. The rumored offer being floated out there is for 8 years, 56 mil, plus a buyout, and Hackett removes the "interim" tag from his AD title. Puts him in Saban territory moneywise.

As it sits today, I think the "list" for UM looks like this.....

1A,B,C,D and E - Harbaugh
2 - Miles
3 - Dan Mullen (no extension signed yet.....)
4 - swings at very unlikely names being spun out there (Bob Stoops, Sean Payton, etc)

then......if they completely botch this whole setup.....

5 - Greg Schiano (may come off there if he agrees with Pitt)
6 - .......god help us?
If Les Miles were going to take the job why wouldn't he have done it by now?

Harbaugh will stay in the NFL and Miles will stay at LSU. You my friend can take that to the bank!

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Nice fairy tale you spun there Mav but that's all that it is where Miles is concerned, Harbaugh too I suspect. You don't see successful NFL coaches go back to the college ranks very often and there's good reason for that. Alumni and recruiting being the two biggest obstacles. You couldn't get Miles to leave Baton Rouge if you stuck a gun to his head. He's become a national superstar there and he's happy as hail with that position plus he has a national championship team growing up right now and he'll be chewing grass in the title game again in a couple of years.

Maybe you should be a little more realistic if you'd like your dreams to come true. :wink:

Phicinfan

Administrator
By all reporst Harbaugh won't go back to college, and by early reports its the Harbaugh in Baltimore they wanted more in Michigan.
As for Miles, I would not be shocked, he has done quite a bit at LSU, but pot is getting thin, and he could help revamp and rebuild the prestige in the Big 10.

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
You guys in the Big 10 ain't got a lick of sense. Won't happen and you can book it. No successful SEC coach is walking away from football's hands down best conference to take over a Big 10 program. It's a step down folks whether you care to admit it or not. What pot is getting thin? Not talent as you'll be seeing the next three years.But if you like living in fantasy land then keep on dreaming. I've made my statement and I'm done talking about it. We'll see who lands at Michigan soon enough but it won't be Miles.

maverick824

If Les Miles were going to take the job why wouldn't he have done it by now?

Harbaugh will stay in the NFL and Miles will stay at LSU. You my friend can take that to the bank!

Can't accept an offer that hasn't been made, can you? Michigan has in all likelyhood offered one person. I'll leave the Miles debate where it is, no one will win that.

As for Harbaugh, you may want to reread my post. I didn't say he's coming for sure, all I posted was a lot of things that have been leaked out by mediums other than ESPN. All I said was I feel there's a lot better than 0% chance he comes to UM. So let me ask you this. There has been a helluva lot more national press tying Harbaugh to UM going as far back as the beginning of this season. Where is Harbaugh's refusal of the job? If he's a 100% lock, then why is his name still connected to the opening? I do think there's a chance he stays in the NFL, obviously. But it's not a lock by any stretch....just sayin....

Phicinfan

Administrator
Can't accept an offer that hasn't been made, can you? Michigan has in all likelyhood offered one person. I'll leave the Miles debate where it is, no one will win that.

As for Harbaugh, you may want to reread my post. I didn't say he's coming for sure, all I posted was a lot of things that have been leaked out by mediums other than ESPN. All I said was I feel there's a lot better than 0% chance he comes to UM. So let me ask you this. There has been a helluva lot more national press tying Harbaugh to UM going as far back as the beginning of this season. Where is Harbaugh's refusal of the job? If he's a 100% lock, then why is his name still connected to the opening? I do think there's a chance he stays in the NFL, obviously. But it's not a lock by any stretch....just sayin....
Because Harbaugh is not an idiot. San Fran wants to cut ties, but may not just release him to NFL without compensation, but with the CHANCE of a college move, they may not have a choice and work a deal quickly to get what they want. He is waaayy too shrewd.

I will add if you look he has said in the recent past he wants to remain coaching in pros

maverick824

Offer is out and now public. 6 years, 49 million!!! In case you're curious, that is 1.1 million more than Saban, the highest paid college coach, and double what his rival at OSU, one Urban Meyer makes. If he turns it down, then hey, he turns it down, but at least this time Michigan stepped up and made a huge offer at him!