CJ Spiller dynasty value

ExperiencedRookie

I've recently been approached by someone attempting to acquire CJ Spiller in my dynasty.

Things you need to know:
Spiller has 3 years remaining on his contract on my team, and I have him signed for less than the average RB.
We start 2 RBs and a flex every week.
No PPR. 12 team league.
The owner who is interested has one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

How many future draft picks for the rookie draft would you want for CJ Spiller?

ExperiencedRookie

If he's desperate. .a first and a second
Personally, I don't give much creedance to anything but 1st round picks. It's pretty tough to get a playable rookie past the top 10-15.

That being said...you'd certainly make the trade for a 2015 1st rounder and a 2016 1st rounder...right? I think id do that trade in a heart beat, especially with a team that I see being in the bottom half of the league for the foreseeable future.

Btw..my current RBs, salary, and contract years..

Chris Ivory $2000 3 years
Chris Johnson $2800 4 years
CJ Spiller $7000 3 years
Montee Ball $2000 2 years
Ryan Mathews $13,000 3 years
Darren McFadden $9200 0 years (could keep him as a restricted FA if I wanted to)
David Wilson $3000 4 years

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
Even though dude has a crappy team, he's looking to get a good sleeper so he hasn't given up.

"2013 lingering ankle issues limited his upside. Remember, this is a guy who, despite starting just seven of 16 games in 2012, finished with a consistency rating of 81.3 %, meaning he finished as an RB1 over 80% of the time. Buffalo ran the football 34 times per game last year, the most in football, and while Fred Jackson's role is still very much legit, he isn't getting any younger. And no, I am not worried about Bryce Brown."

Sleeper commentary from Pro Forecast Fantasy Lottery magazine (just released), Adam Pfeifer, RantSports.com

Last edited:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Not sure you can get 2 rider's, but if you can, I would do it. I think a 1st and a 2nd is good value for him to be honest. Sometimes it's just time to move on, if you are there with CJ, a first alone should do it. If not, keep jinx but if he does not come through this year that will likely be the last time you have a shot to get a 1st from him.

discoverecology

Revvin' for Seven!!
How about some opinions on Spiller as a player???

He is ranked as follows in 2014 preseason Value Added rankings:

RUNNING BACKS
McCoy, PHI
Charles, KAN
Peterson, MIN
Forte, CHI
Lacy, GNB
Bell, PIT
Ball, DEN
Murray, DAL
Lynch, SEA
Foster, HOU
Bernard, CIN
Tate, CLE
Ellington, ARI
Morris, WAS
Gerhart, JAC
Mathews, SDG
Martin, TB
Bush, DET
Gore, SFO
# 20 Spiller, BUF (RB2)
Stacy, STL
Jennings, NYG
Sankey, TEN
Johnson, NYJ
Vereen, NWE
Bell, DET
Moreno, MIA
Thomas, NOR
Richardson, IND
Rice, BAL
Jones-Drew, OAK
Jackson, ATL
Woodhead, SDG
Sproles, PHI
Jackson, BUF
Williams, CAR
Pierce, BAL
Ridley, NWE
McFadden, OAK
Ivory, NYJ
Freeman, ATL
Miller, MIA

Is there anyone above him available? That should answer your question unless I'm missing something.

Plus, Buffalo's schedule has them not playing better than a top 8 (NE) defense all year!

If you got a first round pick THIS year I might do it. Not wait until 2015. My God, WIN, man! WIN NOW!!

Last edited:

ExperiencedRookie

If you got a first round pick THIS year I might do it. Not wait until 2015. My God, WIN, man! WIN NOW!!
I fail to see how getting a 1st round rookie draft pick this year fits into the "win now" strategy. Do you see a rookie rusher ranked higher than Spiller?

Spiller for picks is a play for the future, not the present.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Love Spiller's talent. But his NFL contract is up next year. They have secured decent depth with brown from Philly in a trade. Jackson is a constant vulture. He also cannot stay healthy.

Net, if you can get TWO 1st round picks, do it and don't look back. If you can get one, and an additional pick or decent player, I would still do it.

ExperiencedRookie

Love Spiller's talent. But his NFL contract is up next year. They have secured decent depth with brown from Philly in a trade. Jackson is a constant vulture. He also cannot stay healthy.
How does Spiller being in a contract year effect things? Don't players usually perform their best when playing for a new deal?

Think Buff will let him go? His situation could actually improve in free agency

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
How does Spiller being in a contract year effect things? Don't players usually perform their best when playing for a new deal?

Think Buff will let him go? His situation could actually improve in free agency
Because his issue isn't effort, he can't stay healthy. Buff. knows this, and knows it has to have a running game it can count on to ease for new young Qb. Yes, if his price tag is too high, Buffalo will let him go. I also think unless Jackson is willing to take significantly less, he also will be let go.