Chad Pennington wins the AP's Comeback player of the year for the 2nd time

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
For the 2nd time in 3 years, Chad Pennington has won the NFL's comeback player of the year.

"This time last year, I'm getting ready to watch the ball drop in Times Square. No playoffs, no starting job, no anything," Pennington said Wednesday, reflecting on the end of his 2007 season with the New York Jets. "Now here we are playing in a wild-card playoff game with a team that was 1-15 the year before," he added. "We were able to move the dash over one and be 11-5, so it's pretty special."

Pennington received 19 of 50 votes from a nationwide panel of sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. That was 13 more than quarterbacks Kerry Collins of Tennessee and Jake Delhomme of Carolina. Another quarterback, Arizona's Kurt Warner, received four votes, as did his teammate, wide receiver Anquan Boldin. So did Tampa Bay wideout Antonio Bryant. Two of Pennington's teammates also received votes: linebacker Joey Porter (three) and running back Ronnie Brown (one). Also with one vote were San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers, Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark and Baltimore tackle Willie Anderson.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I actually thought Antonio Bryant had the much bigger comeback, but a receiver will never beat out a quarterback when it comes to awards.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
what did bryant come back FROM though, you know? hes really never been any good.

pennington is the easy choice here. he went from cast off to potential MVP. pretty easy pick.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
what did bryant come back FROM though, you know? hes really never been any good.

pennington is the easy choice here. he went from cast off to potential MVP. pretty easy pick.

Yeah, I suppose Bryant never established himself the first time around. But Pennington has had an up and down career, with this year being an up. Just doesn't bowl me over.

gmrcharity

Bryant had a great Rookie season but threw away a few years for off the field issues before getting his life straitened out.

I choose Bryant before the year even started in that offense but I cannot argue with Pennington.

Texans_Chick

Houston Texans Analyst
Hah.

Dunta Robinson, CB for the Texans should be comeback player of the year.

He had his hamstring torn off the bone and a knee ligament tear. I've never found a football player with that combination of injuries EVER come back, much less a position on the field that depends on speed and dexterity.

Maybe not coincidentally, the Texans started winning games after he came back. He is in a contract year and will likely get paid for his performance this season.

I thought there was no way he would see the field this year, much less doing anything.

Just an alternative view....

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
He plays for a barely 8-8 team. No way that will ever get cred over a QB from a playoff contender.