Carolina Panthers Draft Analysis

RLLD

Carolina Panthers

Round 2, Pick 11 (43) (From 49ers) Everette Brown DE 6'2" 256 Florida State
Analysis : Strong pick at #43 overall as he steps in and will make an immediate impact, giving them speed off the edge. Not going to have a tangible impact on the running game, but with this guy and Peppers on the field OC's are going to lose plenty of sleep.

Round 2, Pick 27 (59) Sherrod Martin S 6'1" 198 Troy
Analysis : His style of play makes one think of Bob Sanders, a smaller guy with a ton of attitude and a nasty hitting style that also lends itself to some likely injury at the NFL level. He can play CB as easily as S, and probably sees the field right away in a variety of schemes.

Round 3, Pick 29 (93) Corvey Irvin DL 6'3" 301 Georgia
Analysis : His size and speed will give this guy an edge that could certainly find him with substantial play time before the season is over. He gives that DL depth, but also some long-term prospects as a likely starter for a few years to come. Nice pick at #93 overall to find a probable multi-year starter.

Round 4, Pick 11 (111) (From 49ers) Mike Goodson RB 6'0" 208 Texas A&M
Analysis : This pick is very interesting to me as I suspect that Goodson is much better running back than anyone truly appreciates. Not only does he have an explosive burst, but he also seems to have good vision and a fantastic cut back. His size, strength and speed aside he also has WR-like hands and is a superior blocker. The guy likely becomes the starting KR/PR.

Round 4, Pick 28 (128) Tony Fiammetta FB 6'0" 245 Syracuse
Analysis : Nothing short of the best FB in this draft here. Say hello to the Carolina wrecking machine as this guy will be a paver for Williams and Stewart, but also has the ability to run it pretty well himself. I would not be surprised to see Carolina run even more with this guy leading the way.

Round 5, Pick 27 (163) Duke Robinson OT 6'5" 329 Oklahoma
Analysis : As if getting the bone crushing FB wasn't enough, they go out and get this monster who likely starts right away as an inside mauler at G. Jesus that running game is going to be devastating for Carolina over the next few years. The guy is likely a facet on the OL for the next four to six years.

Round 7, Pick 7 (216) (From Oakland) Captain Munnerlyn CB 5'9" 182 South Carolina
Analysis : This guy will be out of place on the Carolina Def, if he does make the field it will be because a few people are hurt; perhaps he finds time as a KR/PR if he makes the team at all.

Tomorrow, the Chicago Bears

Last edited:

Coachnorm

I have found these to be very helpful in sorting out how various teams did in the draft. Even though I hit the Thanks button I still feel the need to type out Thanks, RRLD!

Martin at the second pick sounds interesting. Anyone you can mention in the same sentence as Bob Sanders has to have a positive impact on this D.

Everette Brown DE
The team moved up to grab him while he was slid down to meet them. Whether lining up opposite or alongside Julius Peppers as a LB Carolina injected another good player into their defense. A-

Sherrod Martin S
Big playmaker whose style makes him an injury concern but while on the field he provides flexibility (CB or S), attitude and speed. Given time he should eventually make a position for himself in the starting lineup. A-

Corvey Irvin DL
If he becomes more consistent and remains agressive I can see him becoming more than big situational pass rusher which is what I see him being this year. B-

Mike Goodson RB
Was he the best on the board at the time? Will have to start out on special teams but if your analysis is correct may work himself into a change of pace slot at the #3 back but don't expect to many carries to come his way. C

Tony Fiammetta FB
For being the 1st FB off the board he may make an impact with his flexibility (FB, H-back or even TE) but to make this selection worthwhile he will have to show solid improvement with his blocking B-

Duke Robinson OT
Won't be the star of the line but should be solid and brings an element of flexibility being able to play all 3 line positions. C+

Captain Munnerlyn CB
Nice pick for a 7th round flyer. Special teams will be his opportunity this year. Although he will not break into the starting lineup on D any time soon he can be utilized in packages to take advantage of his aggressive and physical play while minimizing his exposure to being beaten by the better WR's in the league. B-

A very solid B draft. Decent value with the Goodson pick but was he the BPA at the position much less on the board? Robinson could bring the grade up higher if he does in fact become a starter from the outset of the season.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
not sure you can give an "A" grade to a team that took a 2nd round prospect with a 1st round pick, personally.

RLLD

not sure you can give an "A" grade to a team that took a 2nd round prospect with a 1st round pick, personally.

Everette is too one dimensional, right now. IF....he can show some ability to become better against the run and hod his own against NFL lineman, he might one day justify where he was taken. For now, he is purely there for his pass rushing skills, perhaps as a one-day replacement to Peppers....