Bucs QB Battle

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
Josh Johnson is the hands down, most impressive QB. I think he should be #2 right now, but HC Morris has been reported saying that they will not look at the exact positions of the players until well into the preseason. We'll see what happens.

Agreed! What I saw yesterday in Josh Johnson cemented my seat on this bandwagon. Johnson clearly has a more developed sense of the game, payton-calm under pressure, actually reads the D and finds the open target. I was kinda getting upset when JJ would only get to take 1 snap before the whistle blew.

Babyface Freeman and Lefty were dissapointingly lame. Sure they can toss the ball around, but add a D-line and some crowd noise and all the sudden he looks like they're playing flag football instead of NFL. Freeman has an excuse, but Lefty should be maximizing his previous league experience and excelling. Maybe it's the heat... who knows. But his back to back interceptions yesteday were both sad and (to quote Khris yesterday) oddly familiar. :(

The cheerleaders looked great tho :)

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
I feel like we are the only people witnessing how awful he really is, because all I hear from local news and papers is how impressive Leftwich is, and how he is exactly what the Bucs need. Quote from a Tampa Bay Online writer, giving updates every 10 minutes or so from yesterday's camp.

3:22: They've just moved into a 9-on-9 drill and Leftwich is once again showing why he could win this QB battle. In succession, he drilled passes over the middle right into the hands of Brian Clark and Jerramy Stevens.

3:10: They're finally doing some 11-on-11 work - and regardless of what the official depth chart says, Byron Leftwich is at quarterback.

That is roughly the time in which he threw back-to-back INTS.

:banghead:

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Ok....so tell me what the others are doing that is more impressive.

The easiest thing to say is "everything."

Luke McCown is easily the best choice. He read the defense well, has good movement in the pocket, and his decision making is much better than it used to be. We've only seen him have one day where he looked off. My lone complaint is that he is somewhat predictable. Our defense started to pick up on his methods fairly quickly which resulted in a couple of balls knocked down and near INTs.

Byron Leftwich, he may just be confused by the system, he may just be dwindling. He looks good in the 7 on 7 drills, but as soon as you put a defensive line in front of him he starts to panic. He pump-fakes 3 or 4 times before he ever throws. He doesn't check all his options before he throws, and he stares down whoever he is going to give it to. Really the only thing I see he has going for him is experience. During a crowd noise drill yesterday, he never completed a pass.

Josh Freeman has the potential to be good, but not this season. He has a great arm for the long ball, but no touch. We've seen him constantly practicing with the running backs, running routes into the flats just so he can work on touch. He can't really read the defense all that well, and that leads to bad decisions. Granted, he hasn't thrown any INTs that I can recall, but throwing to a triple covered Brian Clark is always a bad decision. And he has no control over the offense. He got 2 consecutive delay of game penalties during an 11 on 11 drill, and the time he did get the play off, he had 2 seconds left on the play clock.

Josh Johnson, I have no idea why he isn't higher up. I actually just finished reading an article in the paper on why his stock is falling, and they say its because he doesn't get enough chances, and he let the ball slip out of his hand during his one play of the 7 on 7s. Both are valid points, but they failed to mention that he ran a nearly flawless 2 minute drill. On the surface, he looks like a great qb. Good arm strength, good movement, good defensive reads, and he just looks poised no matter what. First play of the 2 minute drill, the defense rushed 7 guys and he stood in there to make a great 15 yard pass. There has to be something that we aren't seeing that puts him at #4 on the depth chart. Maybe its the classroom, maybe its political. I don't really know.

I think Khris, Ryan, myself, and probably Rachelle agree that it should be
McCown
Johnson
Freeman
Leftwich (if he doesn't get cut)

RZR

Sun-kissed & restless
McGown and Johnson aren't getting all nervous and ancy on the line of scrimmage. They are confidently executing the snap, reading the situation, making a chain-moving decision and drillin the ball down field. Yes, Stevens and Clark looked good but they didn't look good because Lefty was throwing... they looked fierce, pumped up and excited to be on the field. (Not as excited as Piscatelli... but hardly anyone can LOL)

In fact, that reporter is just simply confused. Lefty didn't look good at all when you compare a QB to his actual job description. Stevens and Clark MADE him look good (as good as they could) by staying focused and reaching out to make the plays. When the coaches added the crowd noise, Lefty became dazed and confused.... timing was off... executing lacked and the offense went no where. If this reporter thinks those qualities make for a good QB, then he must have come from Detroit last year.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Probably end up:
Leftwich
McCown
Freeman
Johnson

because remember....they are NFL coaches and they know more than you do :)

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I'm still laughing at Tampa fans having to put up with Lefty. I really hope they put him on the roster this up coming season just so everybody else can feel the aguish i had to go thru when i had to watch him in Jax, then he followed me to Pittsburgh and now he follows me back to Florida. Everything you people are seeing him do in practice in only just a taste of his incompetence in real situations. Everything you mention about his throwing ways, the slow mobility, the way he stares at a WR,TE,RB before throwing the ball is aggrevating. So go ahead TB, sign Lefty and let all the Tampa fans feel my torment and anguish while watching BL play.

WesDawg

'Burghapologist
So the 2 that have looked the worst (Freeman, Leftwich) are the 2 that are both in their first TB training camp and learning a new system with new teammates? Hmm..

Don't get me wrong, I'm no apologist for either guy, but Byron did look fine last year when forced to fill in for Roethlisberger and he has the most actual REAL game experience by a longshot. At some point, doesn't anyone think that may kick in after he acclimates to a new environment?

Nobody's ever doubted either McCown brother's athleticism, but if you go back in the recent past you'll see that neither guy has really ever translated that into competant NFL quarterbacking which is why they're considered career backups.

Let's hang tight and see how this develops moving forward before anyone gets thrown under the bus. I don't really think the front office brought in Lefty to be a clipboard stand, but then again I'm on the outside looking in.

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Don't get me wrong, I'm no apologist for either guy, but Byron did look fine last year when forced to fill in for Roethlisberger and he has the most actual REAL game experience by a longshot. At some point, doesn't anyone think that may kick in after he acclimates to a new environment?

It's the difference of Leftwich being placed on a Super Bowl caliber team, and a team that is in the middle of a major reconstruction. Not saying your point isn't valid, but I think its comparable to Trent Dilfer being a "Super Bowl QB".

Is Sammie Stroughter doing anything in camp?
Yeah, he looks like he'll be the #4 receiver. Probably #3 for the preseason considering Bryant is gone. Good route runner and good hands, he'll be a solid addition to our receiving crew.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Yeah, he looks like he'll be the #4 receiver. Probably #3 for the season considering Bryant is gone. Good route runner and good hands, he'll be a solid addition to our receiving crew.

Edited for reality.........

Going to be some broken hearts.

Runnik's Hambones

The simple fact of the matter has been stated by Ryan, myself, Eric and Rachelle: Byron looks the worst so far in camp. That's all. If I had to rank them right now it would easily be McCowen, Johnson, Freeman, Lefty. The things you brought up Wes, believe me, we've discussed them in detail together. Perhaps Byron turns it on in a game, I hope so. He looked great in Pitt last year, but who the hell didn't? They won the super bowl for hevan's sake.

I have but one request: give Johnson the reigns against the first team D. I want to see if he throws those same pics, if he makes bad reads, or if he gets sacked as much as the others.