Bucs Fire OC Jeff Jagodzinski

Runnik's Hambones

Right after we finished making fun of KC for firing their OC, the Bucs decide to follow in their footsteps. Newly hired and ex head coach of Boston College, Jeff Jagodzinski, was fired this morning by the Bucs. HC Raheem Morris has given no reason for the dismissal of Jagodzinski. QB Coach, Greg Olsen, who was brought in under the Gruden administration last season, will take over as the new OC for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers dismiss Jeff Jagodzinski as offensive coordinator - ESPN

I don't know if this will change the Buc's game plan at all, but remember, Jagodzinski was the reason the Bucs were to be a run-team. Now we have a QB Coach as the OC. Perhaps this means less run that we originally thought?

MtTacWa

Old Jackass...
Just-hired Jagodzinski fired by Bucs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers dismiss Jeff Jagodzinski as offensive coordinator - ESPN

TAMPA, Fla. -- In a stunning move 10 days before the start of the regular season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have dismissed offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski.

The Bucs announced the move in a statement Thursday morning and said quarterbacks coach Greg Olson will take over as coordinator. There was no reason given for Jagodzinski's firing, but coach Raheem Morris is scheduled to discuss the situation later in the day.

The change comes on the eve of the Bucs' preseason finale against the Houston Texans. Tampa Bay opens the regular season Sept. 13 against the Dallas Cowboys.

Mike

Administrator
Is it a good idea to be taking the rookie QB's coach away and putting him in charge of the entire offense? Do they have somebody in mind to take over as quarterbacks coach?

Runnik's Hambones

Is it a good idea to be taking the rookie QB's coach away and putting him in charge of the entire offense? Do they have somebody in mind to take over as quarterbacks coach?

Not that I've heard of. I'm assuming that Greg Olsen will be both QB and OC. The article says that Morris will comment further later on this afternoon. A couple of weeks ago, while leaving the field for halftime, a reporter came up to Jeff Jagodzinski and asked him who was winning the QB battle. His answer was "I don't know, I don't have any say in that," and he walked away. I've had a few discussions with people and I told them that I think he's pissed off about that (as I think he should be, hell he's the OC). Ryan texted me just now and said that on the radio they're saying Jeff was pissed because he thought he should have a say in the starting QB. Instead of trying to work that out with him, it looks like Raheem just canned him and gave the reigns to Greg Olsen, who had (I think) the last say in picking our QB.

Mike

Administrator
Interesting.

Yet another team that has more drama going on than Dallas. I love it ;)

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I don't know if this will change the Buc's game plan at all, but remember, Jagodzinski was the reason the Bucs were to be a run-team. Now we have a QB Coach as the OC. Perhaps this means less run that we originally thought?

Very intersting now. What happens to the value of Ward, Graham, Bryant and Winslow? Passing game up, running game down?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
dunno:
This smacks to me of a fight about the Qb position. My guess is Olsen is a pet of Ownership...which is why he was kept. I think he was the one who pushed for Leftwich...and maybe Jag was against. Not sure.

This team is looking at a miserable season I think.

Runnik's Hambones

Very intersting now. What happens to the value of Ward, Graham, Bryant and Winslow? Passing game up, running game down?

Quite possibly. I still think they Bucs will primarily run the ball, however there is a possibility that we will see 3-6 more passes per game than we originally thought. Under Jeff the talk was that we would run, run, run, run, run, play action. We may see run, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, run, run, pass now. What this does to value, I'm not too sure. Honestly it depends of factors like, who will our QB be and how well they perform.

The one player I think this does help, above all else, is Brian Clark.

Runnik's Hambones

dunno:
This smacks to me of a fight about the Qb position. My guess is Olsen is a pet of Ownership...which is why he was kept. I think he was the one who pushed for Leftwich...and maybe Jag was against. Not sure.

This team is looking at a miserable season I think.

I think you're exactly right. Olsen is likely the guy who really wanted Leftwich in. I bet Jeff was pissed by this and finally just snapped.

Deacon

Bacon=greatest of all!
I remember we had a thread a while back about which was going to be the worst team in the NFL this season. I proclaimed it would be Tampa, many laughed, most dismissed my assertion.

I am still standing firm:nannie:

Bayton

""This guy was better suited to be a head coach than a coordinator," the team source said. The source also said Jagodzinski was not calling plays in the preseason. That responsibility fell to running backs coach Steve Logan, who was Jagodzinski's offensive coordinator at Boston College."

I like that quote. The offensive coordinator that didnt call his plays but differed to a lower coach? talk about minimizing yourself. If this helps cohesion, so be it. I think that quote probably explained more why he was fired and his confrontations with players than anything else. Good move to fire him after this news has come to light. I want to here Jagz 's side of the story, but thats never going to happen cuz he would like to be hired again and cant burn all his bridges again.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Unbelievable move by TB. Sounds like Raheem is on a power trip and has the , " It's my way or the hwy " , attitude, when he should be listening to his assistants. Thats what they are there for.

Skedar120

Buccaneer Faithful
Every time something like this happens, I keep telling myself it can't get worse, and yet it somehow does. This entire season is a snowball that began when Gruden was fired, and is going to end with a miserable record.

Focusing more on this, I realize that Raheem wants unity and cohesion among the organization, but firing your offensive coordinator 10 days before the season is not the way to do it. We've established that this is a rebuilding year, so do the best with what you have and worry about staffing next season.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
Every time something like this happens, I keep telling myself it can't get worse, and yet it somehow does. This entire season is a snowball that began when Gruden was fired, and is going to end with a miserable record.

Focusing more on this, I realize that Raheem wants unity and cohesion among the organization, but firing your offensive coordinator 10 days before the season is not the way to do it. We've established that this is a rebuilding year, so do the best with what you have and worry about staffing next season.

He made a rash desicion here and i really hope he pays for it, as i do in KC.