Broncos Hire Josh McDaniels As Head Coach

Coachnorm

Per Mort on ESPN Broncos hire Josh McDaniels as Head coach.

The Denver Broncos have reached agreement to name New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels their new head coach, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen on Sunday.
McDaniels, 32, replaces Mike Shanahan, who was fired Dec. 30 after 14 years on the job. The team is expected to announce the deal on Monday.

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen sent COO Joe Ellis to Boston Thursday for a lengthy second interview with McDaniels, who, according to sources, was one of two finalists along with Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
wow! that is a huge hire. man, the belichick tree branches out even further...

Those branches have a habit of withering and dying. I'll trust Bowlen knows what he's doing. According to PFT McDaniels wants Eagles secondary coach, Sean McDermott for d coordinator.

ProFootballTalk.com - McDANIELS WANTS McDERMOTT

oooooor Dom Capers

A source also said the team will hire Dom Capers, who was the head coach of expansion teams Carolina and then Houston. He was an assistant/secondary coach with the Patriots this season after serving eight years as an NFL head coach.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_11430967

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Administrator
I just shook my head when I heard this on the radio last night.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a money issue? Bowlen is on the hook for Millions to Shanahan over the next two years, now it looks to me like he is trying to put together an economy coaching staff.

Who knows, the young coach might be the "Next Great Thing". Huge risk here.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I just shook my head when I heard this on the radio last night.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a money issue? Bowlen is on the hook for Millions to Shanahan over the next two years, now it looks to me like he is trying to put together an economy coaching staff.

Who knows, the young coach might be the "Next Great Thing". Huge risk here.

I don't think its a money issue. I believe Bowlen is breaking up the monopoly that was Shanahan and delegating quality people to perform their part in the equation while giving himself the last word in the matter.

COO Joe Ellis - Cap, contracts
Goodman and Goodman - talent acquisitions (they're getting credit for our good draft)
McDaniels - bright offensive mind
Capers/Nolan/McDermott - bright defensive mind (brighter than Slowvik anyway)

The only question now is if McDaniels wilts under HC pressure or thrives.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
really though. trading in shanahan for mcdaniels? that is what this move did. was that really the goal??

Birdman

Ready For Some Football
really though. trading in shanahan for mcdaniels? that is what this move did. was that really the goal??

This is the question we need to be asking. We'll see in time whether it was a good decision or not.

I personally never thought that Shanny should have been let go, but he was. Regardless of what happens on offense this team's fate will ultimately be decided on the defensive side of the ball. We'll see if mr. O-coordinator can fix the real problem with this team.

Runnik's Hambones

This is the question we need to be asking. We'll see in time whether it was a good decision or not.

I personally never thought that Shanny should have been let go, but he was. Regardless of what happens on offense this team's fate will ultimately be decided on the defensive side of the ball. We'll see if mr. O-coordinator can fix the real problem with this team.

DB and Birdman have found the right questions. Shanny for McDaniels looks like crap to me.

The best option now is for McDaniels to get himself a damn good D-Cord.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Man, this guy is YOUNG! Not sure if this is a great move or not. The recent Bellicheat assistants have not exactly flourished...

Mangini - Fired after 3 years, but was fairly successful in NY
Romeo - Fired
Weis - Should have been fired, but still doing his best to keep the Irish in the land of mediocrity.

Now McDaniels....we'll see how it works out, just not sure the guy is ready.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
these guys all got a bad rap imo.

weis has not been magical, but hes done better than any nd coach over the last 20 years, its just that the fan base has unrealisticly high hopes.

mangini has been a very solid coach. great? i dont know. but definitely good.

romeo has been kind of a joke and he seemed to lose the team this year, but 2 for 3 isnt bad.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Man, this guy is YOUNG! Not sure if this is a great move or not. The recent Bellicheat assistants have not exactly flourished...

Mangini - Fired after 3 years, but was fairly successful in NY
Romeo - Fired
Weis - Should have been fired, but still doing his best to keep the Irish in the land of mediocrity.

Now McDaniels....we'll see how it works out, just not sure the guy is ready.

Mangini got screwd. Crennel and Weis are not good coaches. Id rate the NE boys as 1-1-1 so far.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
weis has not been magical, but hes done better than any nd coach over the last 20 years, its just that the fan base has unrealisticly high hopes.

Put the pipe down, and slowly walk away....no seriously, what the heck were you smoking when you wrote this?

2008 - Last 20 years: 1989 - 2008

89-96: LOU HOLTZ!!! (started in 1986)
His title seaosn was in 88 and actually 21 years ago so I'll even leave that out. From 89 on he posted 4 10 win seasons and finished ranked in the top 10 4 times. He was 4-3 in Bowl Games over that span (Orange, Sugar, 2 Cotton).

That one was a gimmie, don't know how you could claim 20 yrs....

But let's look at the other two stiffs:
Davie (35-25); two 9 win seasons, 3 Bowl losses
Willingham (21-15); one 10 win season; 1 Bowl loss

Now compare to Weis:
29-21; a 9 and 10 win season; 1-2 in Bowls

So Davie was 10 games over .500; Ty 6 and Weiss 8.

Ty had one fluke hear so I'll give ya that one, but Davie has done basically the same as Charlie only he never had a 3 win season.......I'd argue that Bob Davie has done as good as Weis, if not better....and to put him in the same timetable as Holtz is a Joke.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Put the pipe down, and slowly walk away....no seriously, what the heck were you smoking when you wrote this?

2008 - Last 20 years: 1989 - 2008

89-96: LOU HOLTZ!!! (started in 1986)
His title seaosn was in 88 and actually 21 years ago so I'll even leave that out. From 89 on he posted 4 10 win seasons and finished ranked in the top 10 4 times. He was 4-3 in Bowl Games over that span (Orange, Sugar, 2 Cotton).

That one was a gimmie, don't know how you could claim 20 yrs....

But let's look at the other two stiffs:
Davie (35-25); two 9 win seasons, 3 Bowl losses
Willingham (21-15); one 10 win season; 1 Bowl loss

Now compare to Weis:
29-21; a 9 and 10 win season; 1-2 in Bowls

So Davie was 10 games over .500; Ty 6 and Weiss 8.

Ty had one fluke hear so I'll give ya that one, but Davie has done basically the same as Charlie only he never had a 3 win season.......I'd argue that Bob Davie has done as good as Weis, if not better....and to put him in the same timetable as Holtz is a Joke.
Thank god Miller. I saw his post and though :wtf:....I knew in 20 years that Holtz was in the picture. Hell, Davie wasn't all that bad either.