Broncos help fantasy football owners: Dump Anthony Alridge & PJ Pope

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Two down. Now that Shanny is gone it will be interesting to see how the new offensive coordinator and head coach handle the eleventy-billion backs still on roster.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I'm honestly surprised at the Aldridge cut. He could've been our Sproles based on what he did last preseason.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Aldrige was a poor drop and he WILL catch on with another team.

I think Torrain, Young, and Aldridge were the best choices on that roster. Move Hills back to FB.

efactor

Coming at you
Aldrige was a poor drop and he WILL catch on with another team.

I think Torrain, Young, and Aldridge were the best choices on that roster. Move Hills back to FB.

Why move your best back to FB?

Hillis looked great in the feature back role last season. Great feet, excellent receiver and a good blocker. The only knock on him is a lack of big play ability. But a lot of good backs don't break it for 40. I think he'll have a nice season in the lead back role.

Obviously, Aldridge wasn't one of the best choices since they cut him. Most of the positive feedback was based on his play in the preseason. Lot of scrubs looks good in that situation. Young is OK, but gets hurt a lot. Like him as a back up. Torrain is possibly the most overhyped guy in recent memory, 5th rounder who people talk about like he's the next Terell Davis. Plus two major injuries in one season. Good luck with that.........

Barring the Broncos taking a RB early (doubt they will since they have a lot of issues to address on D) or bringing in a FA, expect Hillis to be the primary back in 09..........

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Why move your best back to FB?

Hillis looked great in the feature back role last season. Great feet, excellent receiver and a good blocker. The only knock on him is a lack of big play ability. But a lot of good backs don't break it for 40. I think he'll have a nice season in the lead back role.

How do you know he is the best back? Great feet, excellent receiver, and good blocker? I can regurgitate a scouting report too bro. This has to be one of the more ignorant statements you have ever made. Don't fluff the guy for the sake of making your argument. Use your head and tell us what you really saw. I'll tell you since you missed it, you saw a fullback pressed into a starters role. How did he respond? He had a couple of good games against some mediocre defenses and then tore his hamstring. His biggest claim to fame is 2 TDs rushing against Atlanta. Let me tell you, thats impressive :rolleyes:

Obviously, Aldridge wasn't one of the best choices since they cut him. Most of the positive feedback was based on his play in the preseason. Lot of scrubs looks good in that situation.
Gee...lets take a look at the backs on the roster prior to the cut:

Cory Boyd - practice squad scrub
Alex Haynes - practice squad scrub
Andrew Pinnock - Yep. Real winner here
PJ Pope - the 92nd starting back for the Broncos in 2008. Wow.

Then we have:
Selvin Young, no speech needed.

Ryan Torain, a young back worth a look. Didnt see enough of him to know anything honestly. Was doing as well against the Browns as Hills was before he went down.

Anthony Aldridge - Never got a chance to play, but certainly has the youth and requisite skill set to play the position in at least a 3rd round capacity.

Before you go running a guy down at least have all the information. Id rather take my chances on a 25 year old with lots of potential miles on the tires than some of the above listed ass bags.

efactor

Coming at you
How do you know he is the best back? Great feet, excellent receiver, and good blocker? I can regurgitate a scouting report too bro. This has to be one of the more ignorant statements you have ever made. Don't fluff the guy for the sake of making your argument. Use your head and tell us what you really saw. I'll tell you since you missed it, you saw a fullback pressed into a starters role. How did he respond? He had a couple of good games against some mediocre defenses and then tore his hamstring. His biggest claim to fame is 2 TDs rushing against Atlanta. Let me tell you, thats impressive :rolleyes:

Actually, I have never even seen a scouting report on Hillis. While the comments I made may be basic, they are based on what I saw during the time he was the starter. Having great feet is obviously pivotal to a RB. A particular play where he tiptoed the sideline, picking up an extra 7 yards or so was especially impressive and told me a lot about his "great feet". It was a play you don't see many backs make, even the good ones. Even the play where his season ended was impressive. Great catch. Maybe he shouldn't have been a FB pressed into a starters role as you say. Maybe he should have been the starter from day one. Although I like Shanahan from his days as the Niners OC, he wasn't exactly decisive when it came to RBs.

To downplay his two TD game against Atlanta just goes to show what a biased stance you have on this issue. The fact is, he was very impressive in the time he was on the field. Granted, it was a small sample size of 6 games, but still impressive. 5 YPC, 5 rushing TDs and almost 400 yards in less than 80 carries. Another TD receiving and a double digit reception game.

I'm not sure why you are taking this so personal. You are obviously way off base that Aldridge was a better option for next year. If that was the case, the Broncos wouldn't have cut him loose. I don't think the new coaching staff did that for any personal reasons. They did it because they don't believe Aldridge can contribute to their team at the NFL level. The fact that they are getting rid of their surplus of backs makes me think that the new coaching staff likes Hillis as their main back for next year.

Anyway, time will tell.............

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I happen to think Hillis would be solid as well. Honestly, depending on what Torain ends up being...I thought a match of Hillis and Aldridge would be a good 2 back system. Not sure what Denver's intentions are...but I would not down grade Hillis.

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
Hillis could be best utilized as a Mike Alstott clone, he even said so himself on local talk radio. He's a fantastic receiver and blocker who can carry the rock. BUT, he won't hold up over the long haul because, well, he's a fullback and will run dudes over first and juke second. I love his attitude, toughness, and ability as most folks in this region feel. I don't as a full time back, sorry E. Fantastic compliment to another guy who can play for 3 downs. I don't see that guy on the Bronco roster today. FA may be the answer.

Aldridge was a stud on special teams. He too has a fantastic attitude. Love the kid and hope he gets picked up by your Super Bowl Champion Steelers as a return guy. However he also isn't the Bronco's answer. 3rd down guy for sure but comparing him to Sproles may be a bit of a stretch. Sproles is a once-a-decade kind of player. Last guy who could do the things he can do was Dave Meggett.

If the new coach runs things in Denver like he did in NE you could see Pittman playing the role of Faulk and then maybe Young as one of the three guys used downs 1 & 2. Time will tell.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
To downplay his two TD game against Atlanta just goes to show what a biased stance you have on this issue. The fact is, he was very impressive in the time he was on the field. Granted, it was a small sample size of 6 games, but still impressive. 5 YPC, 5 rushing TDs and almost 400 yards in less than 80 carries. Another TD receiving and a double digit reception game.

Biased? Look at the body of work slick. As stated, he did this against some of the worst defenses out there. ANYONE could have put these numbers up.

efactor

Coming at you
Biased? Look at the body of work slick. As stated, he did this against some of the worst defenses out there. ANYONE could have put these numbers up.

Hmmmmm. ANYONE can average 5 yards a carry, score TDs in four straight games and catch 12 passes in a single game? OK. We'll go with that.........

He played who he played. However, his best game, 22/129/1 was against the Jets. The Jets tied with Tennessee for 6th in average yards per carry at 3.7. Hillis averaged 5.9 a carry against them. Not bad............

Just saying...............