Brady Hoke hired as new Michigan HC

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I think this deserves its own thread for discussion.

Reported today that Tate Forcier has left the program.

Not sure where Denard Robinson stands at the moment, but even in a pro style offense Robinson is still going to be difficult to handle.

tblGoBlue

This is a good hire. I don't like Les Miles, and Harbaugh was never going to come here.

A friend of mine worked on the team when Hoke was an assistant there and said he was a good coach and a good leader. That's about all I know about him, though, other than his record and ability to turn around mediocre programs.

I really hope Robinson stays and I think he's going to.

The question in my mind is, how long is it going to take to undo the damage that RichRod has done bringing "his type of players" to Michigan.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I dont think it will take as long as you think. The Wolverines needed better athelets overall at the skill spots, and they have that now. What Hoke needs to get is hard nosed offensive lineman, and if he could turn around San Diego States sorry line that fast, you will be fine.

The biggest thing here is defense. He has to get defenders, and if its possible maybe be willing to grab a JUCO guy or two. The defense is just horrible.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
This is not as rosey as you are painting Sarge. This is not a track team, they don't need better athletes, they need better football players and a system and culture that the players completely buy into. This was a very good hire by UM, Hoke will improve this program, but it will take 3 years to undue what Rich Rod has done. Denard is not a good QB overall. Tate would have been better in a traditional offense IMO. Robinson will make some spectacular plays, but overall he will simply be a stop gap until Hoke get someone in to run his offense. He needs defensive players across the board and the offensive line is not the type Hoke is going to want at all. I would imagine that 65% of the returning players are going to be a poor fit for the system's that Hoke will put in.

By his 3rd year you will see some real change and if given ample time they could be looking at their next Long Term coach who will lead them back to being yearly contenders for the Big Ten Title......but UM fans should expect a couple more years of mediocrity before this gets turned around.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
This is not as rosey as you are painting Sarge. This is not a track team, they don't need better athletes, they need better football players and a system and culture that the players completely buy into.

yes, they do need better athletes. You, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska are all better than they are athletically. You can buy into stuff all you want, but when the guy across is bigger, faster, and stronger it wont matter much.

This was a very good hire by UM, Hoke will improve this program, but it will take 3 years to undue what Rich Rod has done. Denard is not a good QB overall. Tate would have been better in a traditional offense IMO. Robinson will make some spectacular plays, but overall he will simply be a stop gap until Hoke get someone in to run his offense. He needs defensive players across the board and the offensive line is not the type Hoke is going to want at all. I would imagine that 65% of the returning players are going to be a poor fit for the system's that Hoke will put in.

I dont see it that way for the simple fact offensive lineman are much easier to get overall than good skill players. Quite a few large young men out there who could do the job.

By his 3rd year you will see some real change and if given ample time they could be looking at their next Long Term coach who will lead them back to being yearly contenders for the Big Ten Title......but UM fans should expect a couple more years of mediocrity before this gets turned around.

Hoke can get em to at least a bowl right off, but all thats going to matter is beating Ohio State

maverick824

I watched Hoke's full presser from Wednesday to get a feel for Hoke. I can say I'm already 600% more excited about the direction this program's headed. Here are some thoughts.

- The biggest thing that stood out to me was the passion he has for the tradition and culture in Ann Arbor. Hoke WANTS to be here. This is his dream job, make no mistake. That's the key aspect to UM that RRod never got. It's about the kids, NOT the coach, not the money. While it will take a little time, he's a guy that will recruit solid kids that will COMPETE everyday.

- He's a defensive guy, so that toughness factor will be there. RRod teams simply weren't tough enough to win in the Big Ten. I'm convinced that whatever the results are these next 2 years, Hoke's teams will be miles more competitive.

- He will run the ship his way, he definitely is the captain of it, but he will be much more flexible. He will mold his system to fit the guys he has in the program. This reminds me SO MUCH of Jim Tressel and the transitions he's made offensively to his system to accomodate the talent he had. It is a BIG reason why the man has had the success he's had. With RRod, you either fit into his system, or you weren't coming to UM. This attitude is the reason we spent 3 years filling out our classes competing with MAC schools for 2 star guys who had the speed, but not the football instinct. I'm confident with Hoke, we can begin to attract the kids that are necessary for a solid program.

There are tons of unknowns to Hoke right now, but he definitely has the right idea. I can say I'm optimistic for the 1st time in 3 years that we're starting to get back on track.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
yes, they do need better athletes. You, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa, Nebraska are all better than they are athletically. You can buy into stuff all you want, but when the guy across is bigger, faster, and stronger it wont matter much.
There's the problem, the Rich Rod recruits that are there are not bigger, faster, stronger.....they are just FASTER.....he's filled the roster with a track team, not football players IMO. Look at the size of their starters from last year.....small! Looking at Rival's DC from last season:
OL avg - 291 - Ohio State - 305
WR's: Mich: only 1 player listed over 6'0; only 2 players listed over 175 lbs (but i bet they are fast...); Ohio State: Only 2 under 6'0, only 1 under 175
RB: Mich: top 2 RB's avg 175 lbs; Ohio State: Top 2 avg 210

And we all know the QB situation.....

So sorry, I don't see the bigger/Stronger part, just the faster and they were picked to fit ONE scheme, a scheme that will not be ran next year.

I dont see it that way for the simple fact offensive lineman are much easier to get overall than good skill players. Quite a few large young men out there who could do the job.
Going to just have to disagree there....280-300 lb men who can move don't grow on trees. Games are won on the OL & DL.

Hoke can get em to at least a bowl right off, but all thats going to matter is beating Ohio State
Bowl game doesn't matter and will not mean they are back. Hell, RichRod did that this past year. It will take 3 years for them to be a serious contender for the Big Ten title and that is the measuring stick when you are talking about Michigan.

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I like the hire. Very good points discussed already in the forum. Denard Robinson is staying. Brady Hoke stated Denard is staying on The Huge Show, West Michigan sports radio, yesterday.

Trickster

I heard the same about Denard. At first I was very skeptical of Hoke but I must say...I am extremely excited for this hire now. His press conference really motivated me and renewed interest in the program. I think the university is definitely on the right track to getting back to traditional Michigan football. And with that comes competing year in and year out for Big 10 Championships! Mark my words, this year will be the year we beat Ohio State

maverick824

the leap to beating Ohio State is a tall one, make no mistake....the talent discrepancy is pretty wide....but at least I'll actually look forward to the game this year, that's a start......

storminn0rm

Brewmaster
I'm not going to get my hopes up about the ohio st game this coming year. I'd have to see what recruits they can salvage, what defensive scheme Hoke decides to use and the offensive scheme as well.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
I'm not going to get my hopes up about the ohio st game this coming year. I'd have to see what recruits they can salvage, what defensive scheme Hoke decides to use and the offensive scheme as well.

It might be a few years before the OSU/Michigan game has any value again.

maverick824

It might be a few years before the OSU/Michigan game has any value again.

It'll be a few years, maybe more, before the game has value in the team's national hopes. But it says a LOT that the game has remained a national broadcast even through 3 years of lopsided losses. It's still college football's premier rivalry game despite that. Only the Red River Shootout garners as much national viewership. The Game ALWAYS has meaning. But you're correct, the value of a win in that game is lowered a lot until Michigan can establish that they are conference contenders again.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
Id put that to a vote, but there are like 9 people that use this forum consistently and over half of you are Bucks or Michigan men.

maverick824

I didn't mean it as a slight to any other rivalry, but when you ask a random sports fan about college rivalries, the odds are pretty solid you're gonna hear OSU-UM and Duke-UNC. There are lots of great ones, every year makes 1 or 2 must watch games, but nationally those 2 are the most-tradtion laden matchups, and in OSU-UM's case, these past 3 years are the first 3 in the last 50 or so where neither has been playing for much.

Cerberus

In Dog We Trust
WOW a bit suprised he left Baltimore to do this. Maybe he's thinking ahead of being the next UM HC. Definitly a great hire by Michigan.