Baltimore - A repeat of the superbowl champions?

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
I am starting to wonder. The similarities are scary.

You have an incredible defense. It can not only shut you down, but it can score points for you.
You have an offense based on the run. With solid depth at Rb to do whatwever you need in McClain, Rice and of course McGahee.
You have a Qb that while he won't win a game for you, he won't make the big mistake and lose it either. ( See Dilfer, Trent).
You have a veteran receiving group in Mason and when healthy, Todd Heap at Te.

I am sorry, but this is looking very, very much like Dejavu to me.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
I am sorry, but this is looking very, very much like Dejavu to me.

I was thinking that during the Miami game and I'm beginning to resign myself to the fact that they'll make it. Not happy about it because grinding cautious teams bore me to tears.

Say they do make it to the Bowl, is there an NFC team built to challenge them?

Phicinfan

Administrator
I was thinking that during the Miami game and I'm beginning to resign myself to the fact that they'll make it. Not happy about it because grinding cautious teams bore me to tears.

Say they do make it to the Bowl, is there an NFC team built to challenge them?
Hmmm....lets see.

You have NY Giants vs. Philadelphia.
Giants have the defense to befuddle Flacco and stop the run. But Eli and his propensity to make mistakes really would scare me vs. the Ravens Defense.
Eagles are just to Jeckel and Hyde to know what you would get. I do believe if they play like they did against Minn...they could beat the Ravens..but then again McNabb could get blown up..and then what?

Arizona vs. Carolina
Arizona would in my opinion get decimated by Baltimore. Warner would be a sitting duck.
Carolina could very well be the best matchup. They have the thunder and lightning type running game to keep Baltimore honest, and Steve Smith on the outside to go deep. But not sure Delholmme is the Qb to beat Baltimore.

Honestly...if Baltimore gets there...I think they would have to be the favorite.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
But not sure Delholmme is the Qb to beat Baltimore.

No kidding. You think Eli is scary? lol

I actually think Arizona is the only team that could give them something they're not accustomed to - a strong passing game. I point to the damage Sage Rosenfels managed to produce as evidence.

Sadly, I don't think the Cards could beat both Carolina and (insert NFCE team here), on the road, on the east coast, to test that theory.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
come on guys, really? that baltimore defense was a hall of fame defense. this one is good but not great, or maybe even great but not historic. also, joe flacco is nothing close to trent dilfer at this point, sad as that is. the guy completed what, like 8 passes last week? and as for having RBs to do whatever you need, dont confuse depth with talent. mcclain and mcgahee are both averaging under 4 YPC this season.

it'd be a nice parallel, but im not seeing it.

Orgazmo

IT'S GARBAGE DAY
mcclain and mcgahee are both averaging under 4 YPC this season.

When you consider everyone knows that they'll run and when they'll run, the average isn't very bad. Its certainly is enough to move the chains and devour huge chunks of clock.

Also I don't want them going to the Bowl, guaranteeing I'll be forced to watch them in the Bowl.

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
. mcclain and mcgahee are both averaging under 4 YPC this season.

Forte had the same YPC as McClain(3.9) but Forte had 80 more attempts. If he was the primary ball carrier he YPC would be alot higher. He never falls backwards and runs people over. If this is a close game in the 4th he will take the game over and TENN defense will want no part of tackling him....

Last edited:

Beermutts

Raven Maniac
Harbaugh and Flacco received 0 votes for Coach and Rookie of the Year. I think this team is on a mission and I can see them going to the Bowl. With that said this has been a great year in Baltimore and things are only going to get better

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
Forte had the same YPC as McClain(3.9) but Forte had 80 more attempts. If he was the primary ball carrier he YPC would be alot higher. He never falls backwards and runs people over. If this is a close game in the 4th he will take the game over and TENN defense will want no part of tackling him....

you may be onto something there. just looked at nfl.com...

1st q = 3.8 YPC
2nd q = 3.3 YPC
3rd q = 3.1 YPC
4th q = 4.9 YPC

4th q within 7 = 6.2!

:runaround:

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Kinda agree with Bomb, this is a great defense....but it's not a historic defense as the previous SB D was. In fact, they are not the best D in the playoff this year, or even their own division....that would be Pittsburgh.

That said, their D will keep them in every game and this weekends game will be an old school, smashmouth football game! A Game that Baltimore can very well win. My guess is they come up just short of getting the upset, but won't surprise me if I'm wrong either.

Da Bomb

Guilty As Hell
i think this will be a hard fought 13-9 type game that either team can win, but the first one to the endzone probably will.

Phicinfan

Administrator
Kinda agree with Bomb, this is a great defense....but it's not a historic defense as the previous SB D was. In fact, they are not the best D in the playoff this year, or even their own division....that would be Pittsburgh.

That said, their D will keep them in every game and this weekends game will be an old school, smashmouth football game! A Game that Baltimore can very well win. My guess is they come up just short of getting the upset, but won't surprise me if I'm wrong either.
I won't argue the point of if this is the greatest defense or not. Although some of the players are the same.

However, the comparison still stands, as this team is predicated on running the ball, playing great defense and winning the battle of field position. I also throw out while the defense may NOT be as good, the offense is much, much better than then.

Sgt John

Sith Lord of T&A
I also throw out while the defense may NOT be as good, the offense is much, much better than then.

And in a few days we will see if it honestly is going to be enough to make a difference

Arctic Dawgs

When you consider everyone knows that they'll run and when they'll run, the average isn't very bad. Its certainly is enough to move the chains and devour huge chunks of clock.

Also I don't want them going to the Bowl, guaranteeing I'll be forced to watch them in the Bowl.

I'll take the team that gets the most 1st downs by 3 to 1 and wins the turnover battle by about the same almost every time

I also enjoy watching a strong defensive low-scoring game