AFC Title Game

mudloggerone

Outlaw
Administrator
Right Arm Khan. They sure gave the Pat's special consideration during the game. We had to expect that though. :(

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Ref's did not beat the Jags. Yes the end of first half PI was baloney, as well as the PF call on the Gronk hit. It was clear Mack was going for the ball with his shoulder, and the heads collided due to collision. Still, that didn't lose the game.

What lost the game for the Jags was going way to conservative in the 2nd half, trying to sit on a 10 point lead, and the def. not stepping up and stopping a 3rd down and 18 late in the game.

Overall, the Jags played a great game, just couldn't finish it.

efactor

Coming at you
This Patriots have the refs in their pockets is such a tiresome act. Like it or not, the hit on Gronk is a penalty in today’s NFL. Was called all season. It was helmet to helmet.

The PI on Boyoe was legit too. He had his hands all over Cook and was pushing him out of bounds. The Ramsey penalty was correct as well. Jacksonville got sloppy and it ultimately cost them the game along with conservative play calling.

The Patriots win because they are so well coached and every detail is attended to. Keep penalties to a minimum, very few turnovers and of course Brady. They don’t act like fools and yak at the other team after every play. Maybe that does have a subconscious impact on the officials, but probably something Belichick covers with the defense. As a fan, I went into the game kind of hoping that Jacksonville would win, but in the end was rooting for the Pats. Just got sick of watching all the talking going on with the Jags D. Every time they make a play, it’s chest thumping time.

Looking forward to the game after the thumping the Eagles layed on a good Vikings team. Should be a good one.

JScott

Administrator
The refs may have missed calls but I haven't heard anyone say the ones they did call were bad, except the Boyoe. And even that one seems 50/50. I don't see there's a question on it as there was obviously contact past 5 yards and he rode Cooks out of bounds. Definition of PI.

Also the review shows Lewis' leg touching Mack after the strip/fumble recovery (but holy cow what a play by Mack) so even if they did blow the whistle prematurely it was the right result.

Lots of talk of officials missing calls on the Pats which is expected but haven't heard anyone also say what calls were missed on Jax. Had a friend at the games and said the Jax DBs celebrated the Gronk helmet to helmet basically right over him. Wasnt shown on TV. I did see that Church stepped right over Gronk celebrating the incompletion. But no unsportsman like. Also early on there was a deep ball to Cooks, who was double covered. It immediately struck me as weird because Cooks didn't even raise an arm to make an effort. Replay showed the DBs had his arms pinned down at his sides. No call. Also remember a ball to Hogan on a shallow cross where the DB's left arm turned his shoulderpads before the ball got there. No call.

I think it was intentional that NE used Jax's aggressiveness against them to try and draw calls. And it worked.

But in the end as people have said regardless of the penalties Jax lost this game. They went into safe mode and that's what cost them.

efactor

Coming at you
Good post JScott. I thought the game was very well officiated. Game was enjoyable to watch without penalties called every other play. Would love to see this continued into the regular season, but doubt it. Biggest complaint most people have is too many penalties.

JScott

Administrator
Thanks E. And agree on doing without the ticky tacky stuff. Jeff Saturday was on ESPN radio alot today and said he also liked how the game was called, as an admitted Pats fow. Also saw an article reposted on Twitter about this officiating crew from before the game. It basically warned Patriot Nation to watch out because this crew had historically called games that had not gone He's way.